logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-04-24 16:19:57 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Do you want to know where you stand?

Church of Virus BBS
  General
  Society & Culture

The Careless Language of Sexual Violence
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: The Careless Language of Sexual Violence  (Read 1768 times)
Mermaid
Archon

Rate Mermaid

Bite me!

View Profile
« on: 2011-03-11 14:58:29 »

http://therumpus.net/2011/03/the-careless-language-of-sexual-violence/

Roxane Gay  ·  March 10th, 2011

[begin]
There are crimes and then there are crimes and then there are atrocities. These are, I suppose, matters of scale. I read an article in the New York Times about an eleven-year old girl who was gang raped by eighteen men in Cleveland, Texas. The levels of horror to this story are many, from the victim’s age to what is known about what happened to her, to the number of attackers, to the public response in that town, to how it is being reported. There is video of the attack too, because this is the future. The unspeakable will be televised.

The Times article was entitled, “Vicious Assault Shakes Texas Town,” as if the victim in question was the town itself. James McKinley Jr., the article’s author, focused on how the men’s lives would be changed forever, how the town was being ripped apart, how those poor boys might never be able to return to school. There was discussion of how the eleven-year-old girl, the child, dressed like a twenty-year-old, implying that there is a realm of possibility where a woman can “ask for it” and that it’s somehow understandable that eighteen men would rape a child. There were even questions about the whereabouts of the mother, given, as we all know, that a mother must be with her child at all times or whatever ill may befall the child is clearly the mother’s fault. Strangely, there were no questions about the whereabouts of the father while this rape was taking place.

The overall tone of the article was what a shame it all was, how so many lives were affected by this one terrible event. Little addressed the girl, the child. It was an eleven-year-old girl whose body was ripped apart, not a town. It was an eleven-year-old girl whose life was ripped apart, not the lives of the men who raped her. It is difficult for me to make sense of how anyone could lose sight of that and yet it isn’t.

We live in a culture that is very permissive where rape is concerned. While there are certainly many people who understand rape and the damage of rape, we also live in a time that necessitates the phrase “rape culture.” This phrase denotes a culture where we are inundated, in different ways, by the idea that male aggression and violence toward women is acceptable and often inevitable. As Lynn Higgins and Brenda Silver ask in their book Rape and Representation, “How is it that in spite (or perhaps because) of their erasure, rape and sexual violence have been so ingrained and so rationalized through their representations as to appear ‘natural’ and inevitable, to women as men?”  It is such an important question, trying to understand how we have come to this. We have also, perhaps, become immune to the horror of rape because we see it so often and discuss it so often, many times without acknowledging or considering the gravity of rape and its effects. We jokingly say things like, “I just took a rape shower,” or “My boss totally just raped me over my request for a raise.” We have appropriated the language of rape for all manner of violations, great and small. It is not a stretch to imagine why James McKinley Jr. is more concerned about the eighteen men than one girl.

The casual way in which we deal with rape may begin and end with television and movies where we are inundated with images of sexual and domestic violence. Can you think of a dramatic television series that has not incorporated some kind of rape storyline? There was a time when these storylines had a certain educational element to them, ala A Very Special Episode. I remember, for example, the episode of Beverly Hills 90210 where Kelly Taylor discussed being date raped at a slumber party, surrounded, tearfully, by her closest friends. For many young women that episode created a space where they could have a conversation about rape as something that did not only happen with strangers. Later in the series, when the show was on its last legs, Kelly would be raped again, this time by a stranger. We watched the familiar trajectory of violation, trauma, disillusion, and finally vindication, seemingly forgetting we had sort of seen this story before.

Every other movie aired on Lifetime or Lifetime Movie Network features some kind of violence against women. The violence is graphic and gratuitous while still being strangely antiseptic where more is implied about the actual act than shown. We consume these representations of violence and do so eagerly. There is a comfort, I suppose, to consuming violence contained in 90-minute segments and muted by commercials for household goods and communicated to us by former television stars with feathered bangs.

While once rape as entertainment fodder may have also included an element of the didactic, such is no longer the case. Rape, these days, is good for ratings. Private Practice, on ABC, recently aired a story arc where Charlotte King, the iron-willed, independent, and sexually adventurous doctor was brutally raped. This happened, of course, just as February sweeps were beginning. The depiction of the assault was as graphic as you might expect from prime time network television. For several episodes we saw the attack and its aftermath, how the once vibrant Charlotte became a shell of herself, how she became sexually frigid, how her body bore witness to the physical damage of rape. Another character on the show, Violet, bravely confessed she too had been raped. The show was widely applauded for its sensitive treatment of a difficult subject.

The soap opera General Hospital is currently airing a rape storyline, and the height of that story arc occurred, yes, during sweeps. General Hospital, like most soap operas, incorporates a rape storyline every five years or so when they need an uptick in viewers. Before the current storyline, Emily Quartermaine was raped and before Emily, Elizabeth Webber was raped, and long before Elizabeth Webber, Laura of Luke and Laura was raped by Luke but that rape was okay because Laura ended up marrying Luke so her rape doesn’t really count. Every woman, General Hospital wanted us to believe, loves her rapist. The current rape storyline has a twist. This time the victim is a man, Michael Corinthos Jr., son of Port Charles mob boss Sonny Corinthos, himself no stranger to violence against women. While it is commendable to see the show’s producers trying to address the issue of male rape and prison rape, the subject matter is still handled carelessly, is still a source of titillation, and is still packaged neatly between commercials for cleaning products and baby diapers.

Of course, if we are going to talk about rape and how we are inundated by representations of rape and how, perhaps, we’ve become numb to rape, we have to discuss Law & Order: SVU, which deals, primarily, in all manner of sexual assault against women, children, and once in a great while, men. Each week the violation is more elaborate, more lurid, more unspeakable. When the show first aired, Rosie O’Donnell, I believe, objected quite vocally when one of the stars appeared on her show. O’Donnell said she didn’t understand why such a show was needed. People dismissed her objections and the incident was quickly forgotten. The series is in its 12th season and shows no signs of ending anytime soon. When O’Donnell objected to SVU’s premise, when she dared to suggest that perhaps a show dealing so explicitly with sexual assault was unnecessary, was too much, people treated her like she was the crazy one, the prude censor. I watch SVU religiously, have actually seen every single episode. I am not sure what that says about me.

I am trying to connect my ideas here. Bear with me.

It is rather ironic that only a couple weeks ago, the Times ran an editorial about the War on Women.  This topic is, obviously, one that matters to me. I recently wrote an essay about how, as a writer who is also a woman, I increasingly feel that to write is a political act whether I intend it to be or not because we live in a culture where McKinley’s article is permissible and publishable. I am troubled by how we have allowed intellectual distance between violence and the representation of violence. We talk about rape but we don’t talk about rape, not carefully.

We live in a strange and terrible time for women. There are days, like today, where I think it has always been a strange and terrible time to be a woman. It is nothing less than horrifying to realize we live in a culture where the “paper of record” can write an article that comes off as sympathetic to eighteen rapists while encouraging victim blaming. Have we forgotten who an eleven-year-old is? An eleven-year-old is very, very young, and somehow, that amplifies the atrocity, at least for me. I also think, perhaps, people do not understand the trauma of gang rape. While there’s no benefit to creating a hierarchy of rape where one kind of rape is worse than another because rape is, at the end of day, rape, there is something particularly insidious about gang rape, about the idea that a pack of men feed on each other’s frenzy and both individually and collectively believe it is their right to violate a woman’s body in such an unspeakable manner.

Gang rape is a difficult experience to survive physically and emotionally.  There is the exposure to unwanted pregnancy and sexually transmitted diseases, vaginal and anal tearing, fistula and vaginal scar tissue. The reproductive system is often irreparably damaged. Victims of gang rape, in particular, have a higher chance of miscarrying a pregnancy. Psychologically, there are any number of effects including PTSD, anxiety, fear, coping with the social stigma, and coping with shame, and on and on. The actual rape ends but the aftermath can be very far reaching and even more devastating than the rape itself. We rarely discuss these things, though. Instead, we are careless. We allow ourselves that rape can be washed away as neatly as it is on TV and in the movies where the trajectory of victimhood is neatly defined.

I cannot speak universally but given what I know about gang rape, the experience is wholly consuming and a never-ending nightmare. There is little point in pretending otherwise. Perhaps McKinley Jr. is, like so many people today, anesthetized or somehow willfully distanced from such brutal realities. Perhaps it is that despite this inundation of rape imagery, where we are immersed in a rape culture, that not enough victims of gang rape speak out about the toll the experience exacts. Perhaps the right stories are not being told or we’re not writing enough about the topic of rape. Perhaps we are writing too many stories about rape. It is hard to know how such things come to pass.

I am approaching this topic somewhat selfishly. I write about sexual violence a great deal in my fiction. The why of this writerly obsession doesn’t matter but I often wonder why I come back to the same stories over and over. Perhaps it is simply that writing is cheaper than therapy or drugs. When I read articles such as McKinley’s, I start to wonder about my responsibility as a writer. I’m finishing my novel right now. It’s the story of a brutal kidnapping in Haiti and part of the story involves gang rape. Having to write that kind of story requires going to a dark place. At times, I have made myself nauseous with what I’m writing and what I am capable of writing and imagining, my ability to go there.

As I write any of these stories, I wonder if I am being gratuitous. I want to get it right. How do you get this sort of thing right? How do you write violence authentically without making it exploitative? There are times when I worry I am contributing to the kind of cultural numbness that would allow an article like the one in the Times to be written and published, that allows rape to be such rich fodder for popular culture and entertainment. We cannot separate violence in fiction from violence in the world no matter how hard we try. As Laura Tanner notes in her book Intimate Violence, “the act of reading a representation of violence is defined by the reader’s suspension between the semiotic and the real, between a representation and the material dynamics of violence which it evokes, reflects, or transforms.” She also goes on to say that, “The distance and detachment of a reader who must leave his or her body behind in order to enter imaginatively into the scene of violence make it possible for representations of violence to obscure the material dynamics of bodily violation, erasing not only the victim’s body but his or her pain.” The way we currently represent rape, in books, in newspapers, on television, on the silver screen, often allows us to ignore the material realities of rape, the impact of rape, the meaning of rape.

While I have these concerns, I also feel committed to telling the truth, to saying these violences happen even if bearing such witness contributes to a spectacle of sexual violence. When we’re talking about race or religion or politics, it is often said we need to speak carefully. These are difficult topics where we need to be vigilant not only in what we say but how we express ourselves. That same care, I would suggest, has to be extended to how we write about violence, and sexual violence in particular.

In the Times article, the phrase “sexual assault” is used, as is the phrase “the girl had been forced to have sex with several men.” The word “rape” is only used twice and not really in connection with the victim. That is not the careful use of language. Language, in this instance, and far more often than makes sense, is used to buffer our sensibilities from the brutality of rape, from the extraordinary nature of such a crime.  Feminist scholars have long called for a rereading of rape. Higgins and Silver note that “the act of rereading rape involves more than listening to silences; it requires restoring rape to the literal, to the body: restoring, that is, the violence—the physical, sexual violation.” I would suggest we need to find new ways, whether in fiction or creative nonfiction or journalism, for not only rereading rape but rewriting rape as well, ways of rewriting that restore the actual violence to these crimes and that make it impossible for men to be excused for committing atrocities and that make it impossible for articles like McKinley’s to be written, to be published, to be considered acceptable.

An eleven-year-old girl was raped by eighteen men. The suspects ranged in age from middle-schoolers to a 27-year-old. There are pictures and videos. Her life will never be the same. The New York Times, however, would like you to worry about those boys, who will have to live with this for the rest of their lives. That is not simply the careless language of violence. It is the criminal language of violence.
[end]
Report to moderator   Logged
Mermaid
Archon

Rate Mermaid

Bite me!

View Profile
Re:The Careless Language of Sexual Violence
« Reply #1 on: 2011-03-14 22:26:26 »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/03/11/residents-of-town-where-awful-gang-rape-occurred_n_834535.html

Residents Of Town Where Awful Gang-Rape Occurred Are Also Awful, Apparently

Earlier this week, the New York Times published a piece about a harrowing gang-rape that occurred in Cleveland, Texas, in which "18 young men and teenage boys" were charged with "participating in the gang rape of an 11-year-old girl." The paper drew a metric ton of criticism for presenting the matter in a way that allowed sympathy for the alleged rapists to overwhelm the piece. A good representative example of the heat the Times took can be found in Margaret Hartmann's piece on the matter in Jezebel.

The New York Times published a story today about how the case has torn apart the town, and the paper chooses to focus on the plight of the accused men. The author says the town is wondering "how could their young men have been drawn into such an act?" as if they were tricked into gang raping a child. Then there's this quote:

"It's just destroyed our community," said Sheila Harrison, 48, a hospital worker who says she knows several of the defendants. "These boys have to live with this the rest of their lives."

But maybe the New York Times' coverage was shaped largely by the fact that Cleveland, Texas is the most awful town in America. The AP revisits the town in a report today:

A meeting Thursday night that was billed as a way to discuss concerns some have about the investigation into a series of alleged sexual assaults on an 11-year-old girl turned into a forum that many used to blame the girl police contend is the victim of heinous attacks.

Many who attended the meeting said they supported the group of men and boys who have been charged in the case. Supporters didn't claim that the men and boys did not have sex with the young girl; instead they blamed the girl for the way she dressed or claimed she must have lied about her age -- accusations that have drawn strong responses from those who note an 11-year-old cannot consent to sex and that it doesn't matter how she was dressed.

The meeting was "led by Quanell X, an activist prominent in Houston's black community." X averred that it was not his intention to "jump on an 11-year-old girl." Rather, it was to "question why she didn't report the attack to authorities herself" (we remind you, this was an eleven year old girl) and take donations for a defense fund for the people who had, already, done most of the "jumping" on the "eleven-year-old girl," followed by a gang-rape.

In the AP's followup, a man named Oscar Carter briefly appears to say, "She's 11 years old. It shouldn't have happened. That's a child," and, "Somebody should have said what we are doing is wrong."

But Carter was the exception -- the headline of the AP's piece, "Some in Texas town blaming young girl," really puts the word "some" under considerable logical strain. Most of those assembled enjoyed themselves a nice round of victim blaming. I especially love Angie Woods' response: "I'm not taking nobody's side, but if she hadn't put herself in that predicament, this would have never happened." Apparently, there is a definition of "taking a side" that is specifically operable to Cleveland, Texas.

When the Times piece originally ran, Mother Jones' reporter and force-for-good Mac McClelland imagined herself in the shoes of an editor, emailing the piece's author. "Please advise if literally no other kinds of quotes are available because every single person who lives in Cleveland, Texas, is a monster," she wrote. I'm starting to have the nagging suspicion that, with the exception of the aforementioned Carter and the young rape survivor herself, this is actually the case.
Blunderov
Archon

Rate Blunderov

"We think in generalities, we live in details"

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #2 on: 2011-03-15 03:12:16 »

[Blunderov] This is so outrageous that I feel justified in presenting this vicious satire from ED* as a riposte to anyone who might think that that an 11 year old girl was 'asking for it'.

http://encyclopediadramatica.com/Asking_For_It

"Since God created Eve, all women have been asking for it. Their very existence is an open invitation to rape, with their legs and their walking and their breathing, the sluts.

The mere fact that rape is more gratifying than regular, boring sex; because the terrified convulsing of the vagina around a man's rape rod feeling so fucking good, proves that God intended for rape to be a justifiable means of being fruitful and multiplying, as opposed to plain old, boring sex, which eliminates the drive and the "get (h)er done" attitude.

They also ask for it so they can blame all their later problems in life on it."

*[Bl.] ED is not everybody's cup of tea please be warned. It even upsets me sometimes. I also laugh a lot though.
MoEnzyme
Acolyte

Rate MoEnzyme

infidel lab animal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 2011-03-15 16:02:33 »

@Blunderov

your post brought this to mind

Quote from: Blunderov on 2011-03-15 03:12:16   

[Blunderov] This is so outrageous that I feel justified in presenting this vicious satire from ED* as a riposte to anyone who might think that that an 11 year old girl was 'asking for it'.

http://encyclopediadramatica.com/Asking_For_It

"Since God created Eve, all women have been asking for it. Their very existence is an open invitation to rape, with their legs and their walking and their breathing, the sluts.

The mere fact that rape is more gratifying than regular, boring sex; because the terrified convulsing of the vagina around a man's rape rod feeling so fucking good, proves that God intended for rape to be a justifiable means of being fruitful and multiplying, as opposed to plain old, boring sex, which eliminates the drive and the "get (h)er done" attitude.

They also ask for it so they can blame all their later problems in life on it."

*[Bl.] ED is not everybody's cup of tea please be warned. It even upsets me sometimes. I also laugh a lot though.

I will fight your gods for food,
Mo Enzyme

(consolidation of handles: Jake Sapiens; memelab; logicnazi; Loki; Every1Hz; and Shadow)
Fritz
Archon

Rate Fritz

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #4 on: 2011-03-15 17:42:53 »

Quote from: Blunderov on 2011-03-15 03:12:16   

Child Abuse & Abductions
http://childabuse.newsvine.com/

As I read this thread and the ablove URL, I have to ask myself if cleaning the gene pool is probably the best solution. I can't imagine that abuse of children can lead to a perpetrator that is a rehabilitated member of our society. To damage a child is inexcusable and I feel requires a one time final solution, how else can our society eradicate this meme that the Times propagated with it's story. As a social entity we are faced with what to do about the cancerous cells.

Is see no other solutions; we are willing to kill hundreds of thousands for oil, yet ...

Fritz

Where there is the necessary technical skill to move mountains, there is no need for the faith that moves mountains -anon-
Blunderov
Archon

Rate Blunderov

"We think in generalities, we live in details"

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #5 on: 2011-03-18 04:18:44 »

Quote from: Fritz on 2011-03-15 17:42:53   
As a social entity we are faced with what to do about the cancerous cells.

Is see no other solutions; we are willing to kill hundreds of thousands for oil, yet ...

Fritz[/i]

[Blunderov] Child abuse is a viscerally emotive subject.

Meanwhile, back at the loony bin...

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4776445

<snip>an 11- year- old girl who was gang raped in Texas because she was dressed like a 21-year-old prostitute</snip>

Tripping themselves up on their own agenda. I don't suppose it could have been possible that she looked rather more like an 11 year old prostitute? How did "21" get into the equation? FAIL.

Not to mention: it is not ok to rape anyone even if they are a 21 year old prostitute and, hard as it may be to resist, not even if the 21 year old prostitute is dressed like an 11 year old.
« Last Edit: 2011-03-18 04:33:11 by Blunderov » Report to moderator   Logged
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to: