logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-04-18 12:29:31 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Open for business: The CoV Store!

Church of Virus BBS
  General
  Society & Culture

Conservapedia's entry on the cactus
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: Conservapedia's entry on the cactus  (Read 774 times)
Fritz
Archon

Rate Fritz

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« on: 2008-05-23 23:53:39 »

I had missed this one till today.

The 'Mothership' (aka CBC) aired a segment on a disgruntled teacher (clearly in the USA) that lead his class from the evils and misguided world of Wikipeda to make a better, greener, more ... SAY IT .... NO..... YES SAY IT ..... Christian friendly website ... choke ... sputter .... gasp .....

Sigh

Fritz

http://www.conservapedia.com

http://www.boingboing.net/2007/02/26/conservapedias-entry.html

Posted by Mark Frauenfelder, February 26, 2007 11:58 AM | permalink

Conservapedia, a wiki encyclopedia that aims to eliminate the left-wing bias in Wikipedia, is a gold-mine of unintentional hilarity. The entry on the cactus is especially rib-ticking.

The secularist view of the Cactaceae is that they are roughly two million years old, and that they have evolved exclusively in the new world. This view fails to explain, however, how it is that the Opuntia genus is native to the island of Opus, near Greece. Cacti are known for their high content of alkaloids, and have often been used in the sacramental rights of the Native Americans. Because of this, the early Catholic missionaries in the west thought the plants to be the work of Satan, and this is perhaps a preferable view to that of materialistic evolution since it is difficult to imagine how something like mescaline could have evolved by natural selection. Besides that, the psychoactive content of many cacti have inspired the writings of such ungodly men as Aldous Huxley and Albert Hoffman.

Several species of cactus are now endangered in the west due to "poaching" by collectors and invasive species. But, since Genesis suggests that man has been given dominion over all of the earth, the environmentalist concerns on this note are entirely inappropriate. It may also be that environmentalists, in addition to flauting the Word of God, are merely concerned about the effects that declining cactus populations will have on their supply of mescaline.

You can't make this stuff up, folks. You have to let others do it for you. Link (Thanks, Kevin!)
Report to moderator   Logged

Where there is the necessary technical skill to move mountains, there is no need for the faith that moves mountains -anon-
Walter Watts
Archon

Rate Walter Watts

Just when I thought I was out-they pull me back in

View Profile WWW E-Mail
Re:Conservapedia's entry on the cactus
« Reply #1 on: 2008-05-24 10:15:14 »

Un-freegin-believable!

Thanks for sharing this one Fritz.

Disturbing, but also funny as hell at the same time.

Walter
Report to moderator   Logged

Walter Watts
Tulsa Network Solutions, Inc.

No one gets to see the Wizard! Not nobody! Not no how!
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to: