logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-03-28 09:56:03 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Donations now taken through PayPal

Church of Virus BBS
  General
  Society & Culture

Bobby Fischer RIP
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: Bobby Fischer RIP  (Read 910 times)
Blunderov
Archon

Rate Blunderov

"We think in generalities, we live in details"

View Profile WWW E-Mail
Bobby Fischer RIP
« on: 2008-01-18 08:34:28 »

[Blunderov] The tormented genius finally attains "peace that passeth all understanding".

My heart is on the ground.

http://www.chessninja.com/dailydirt/2008/01/bobby_fischer_19632008.htm

January 18, 2008
Bobby Fischer 1963-2008
No time for a real entry now, but here's the sad news from Iceland. Post better links as they come up if you can.

Chess legend Fischer dies at 64

The US-born player was a fierce critic of his government.

Controversial former world chess champion Bobby Fischer has died aged 64, Iceland's media says.

The US-born player, who became famous around the world for beating the Soviet Union's Boris Spassky in 1972, had been seriously ill for some time.

Mr Fischer was granted Icelandic citizenship in 2005 as a way to avoid being deported to the US.

Mr Fischer was wanted for breaking international sanctions by playing a match in the former Yugoslavia in 1992.

He also had alienated many in his homeland by broadcasting anti-Semitic diatribes and expressing support for the 11 September 2001 attacks in New York.

The reclusive player had lived undetected in Japan for a number of years before moving to Iceland.

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5ipPnMftO6Dja1SmVVMDlhgP1i0Eg

Chess genius Bobby Fischer, from American hero to paranoid fugitive
1 hour ago

REYKJAVIK (AFP) — Bobby Fischer, who died on Thursday aged 64, was a high school dropout who may have been the greatest chess player of all time, but ended his life in eccentric seclusion.

The US-born player had lived for the last two years in Iceland, after serving eight months behind bars in Japan in a new twist to a life that had gone downhill ever since his moment of glory at age 29.

The Brooklyn-bred genius made headlines around the world when he wrested the world chess title from Soviet domination in 1972, beating world champion Boris Spassky, in a Cold War chess showdown in Reykjavik known as the match of the century.

He was said to have an IQ higher than Albert Einstein's and once thought his gift would win him undying fortune. He would make extravagant demands over matches in a way more commonly seen in boxing.

But while the theatrics made him a celebrity -- and are credited with helping him unnerve his opponents -- he also succeeded in alienating himself from all but a small band of friends and chess enthusiasts.

Personally urged on by Henry Kissinger to play for his country in 1972, Fischer repeatedly said he despised the United States.

Despite having a Jewish mother, Fischer was a vicious anti-Semite, using broadcasts at far-flung radio stations to accuse Jews of everything from his legal woes to an alleged conspiracy to kill off elephants.

And though he became engaged in detention to the head of the Japan Chess Association, Miyoko Watai, she said her fiance hated the Japanese nation and people.

The reclusive Fischer's return to the spotlight began on September 11, 2001 when he rang up a Filipino radio station to hail the "wonderful news" of the terrorist attacks and launch a profanity-laden anti-Jewish tirade.

"One can only speculate that his remarks on September 11 so outraged the US administration that the call went out, let's get Bobby Fischer," said David Edmonds, who co-authored a book on the 1972 match, "Bobby Fischer Goes to War."

In one part of the September 11 broadcast, Fischer declared that "nobody has single-handedly done more for the US than me" by making it seem "as an intellectual country."

"But now I'm not useful anymore. You see, the Cold War is over and now they want to wipe me out, get everything I have, put me into prison," he said.

In the 1972 "match of the century" in Iceland, Fischer, throwing regular tantrums over the position of cameras and the audience, relied on his own wit to end 24 years of Soviet chess supremacy by dethroning Spassky, who had by his side an army of Russian master strategists.

"For two years of his life he completely and utterly dominated chess like no one has before," Edmonds said of Fischer.

"I think many in the chess world don't want Bobby Fischer's anti-Semitic and violently anti-American remarks to sully his reputation as one of the greatest chess players of all time."

Fischer, whose chess education had consisted of locking himself in a room for days on end facing off against himself, refused to play after his triumph and was stripped of his title in 1975.

Fischer's paranoia was reinforced in 1981 when his scruffy appearance made him a mistaken suspect in a California bank robbery. In another of his interviews on Filipino radio, Fischer accused the media of trying to "poison the public against me."

"They constantly use the words eccentric, eccentric, eccentric, weird," Fischer said. "I am boring. I am boring!"

Fischer returned to chess in 1992 with a rematch against Spassky in Yugoslavia, then in the throes of the Balkan wars.

At a press conference he spat on a US government notice warning him he was breaking sanctions and proceeded to defeat Spassky once again, winning more than three million dollars on which he boasted he would never pay tax.

Fischer is not known to have stepped foot since in the United States, where he faced 10 years in prison for playing the chess match.

On July 13, 2004, Fischer was taken into custody at Tokyo's Narita airport for travelling on a passport which Washington said was revoked.

With Japan deliberating for months on whether to send him to the United States, Iceland came to his rescue in 2005, granting him citizenship in tribute to his role in making the island -- and the game of chess -- famous in 1972.

As the United States vowed to arrest him if he ever set foot again in his homeland, Fischer began his new life with typical anti-Jewish slurs and by lambasting his country of origin.

"The Jew-controlled United States is evil. They talk about the axis of evil. What about the allies of evil? What about the US, England, Japan, Australia and so on? These are the evil doers," said Fischer.

Hosted by  Google Copyright © 2008 AFP. All rights reserved.

« Last Edit: 2008-01-18 08:40:21 by Blunderov » Report to moderator   Logged
Hermit
Archon

Rate Hermit

Prime example of a practically perfect person

View Profile WWW
Re:Bobby Fischer RIP
« Reply #1 on: 2008-01-18 18:08:50 »

A tragic ending for a great mind that the world - or at least the USA - had no place for.

While nobody ever said that genius had to be rational, it is interesting that his position (which may have been more anti-Zionist, not anti-Semite no matter how it is portrayed here - and the Japanese are frequently acknowledged as the world's worst racists - while the Icelanders are the reverse - means that the stream of insults in this heavily unsympathetic travesty of an obituary - may well be yet another an inversion) is simply discounted by people completely incapable of seeing the patterns he lived and walked. A position which was not terribly far - albeit expressed more rigorously than politically correct (which may significantly intersect with "acceptable to the Zionist community") from the conclusions reached by those studying "The Israeli lobby" and the well documented Israeli involvement with the 9/11 criminals.

Then again, nobody ever said that genius had to tolerate fools at all. Fisher did not pretend to. And so he suffered. Perhaps because the USA appears to consider that any dog once given a bad name must have deserved it. What a strange, sad, confusing and confused world it is

Kindest Regards

Hermit

PS, While I don't join Fisher in having rejoiced at the death and waste, I think that the point that Fisher made in the  quotation Blunderov cited, ""This is all wonderful news, I applaud the act. The US and Israel have been slaughtering the Palestinians, just slaughtering them, for years. Robbing them and slaughtering them. Nobody gave a shit. Now it's coming back to the US. Fuck the US. I want to see the US wiped out. Death to the US." is that the US having enabled the Israeli government's genocide and ethnic cleansing for nearly half-a-century, and having repeatedly and unconscionably prevented legal redress for the victims, the Palestinians; this was not an inequitable action (although of course, a rational response in the US interest to 9/11 having been prevented by the White House cabal, and the "War on Dark Skinned People Terrorism having been used by Israel to further oppress the native populations of the Levant and Palestine, and by the US to illegally force wars of aggression on Afghanistan and Iraq, 9/11 was ultimately as ineffective as it was brutal). But Fisher didn't know that would be the case when he said this.

« Last Edit: 2008-01-18 20:27:04 by Hermit » Report to moderator   Logged

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion. - Steven Weinberg, 1999
Mermaid
Archon

Rate Mermaid

Bite me!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008-01-18 22:04:10 »

so very tragic.

R.I.P.

p.s. this dated article is a good read too> http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200212/chun
Report to moderator   Logged
Blunderov
Archon

Rate Blunderov

"We think in generalities, we live in details"

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #3 on: 2008-01-19 10:13:20 »

"This is all wonderful news, I applaud the act. The US and Israel have been slaughtering the Palestinians, just slaughtering them, for years. Robbing them and slaughtering them. Nobody gave a shit. Now it's coming back to the US. Fuck the US. I want to see the US wiped out. Death to the US"

[Blunderov] Seems extreme, these words. On the other hand these actual deeds, reported by Lenin's Tomb, seem to me far more so. (The report at the Lenin's Tomb  is lavishly hyperlinked and also well illustrated with photographs - not for the faint of heart.) 

Saturday, January 19, 2008

Getting away with murder in Gaza posted by lenin

It turns out that this is stupendously easy. The magic word is "Sderot". Poor old Sderot. Poor, wretched Sderot. Gaza is a place where "rage" boils and bubbles over, especially since the "Hamas takeover" (the failed Fatah putsch, in other words), and Sderot pays the price. Rockets, empty streets, fleeing mattresses, the dog not getting walked. Poor, miserable Sderot.

Gaza has been under Israeli siege for some time. It is starving. Aid can't get in, because of Israel's blockade. Israel continues to ravage the territory with air strikes. As usual, Israel's imposition of its preferred racial order in the Middle East regionally intersects with its domestic racial order. The daily massacres in Gaza coincide with the the internal campaign against the Bedouin of the Negev, the ongoing theft of Palestinian land and property, the 'Judaising' of annexed territory, the construction of segregated roads, all the usual. In the West Bank, a Fatah fiefdom since June, attacks are frequent. It doesn't matter how much Abbas connives - even his allies are not safe from Israeli assassination.

Gaza, elevated to the happy status of an open air prison since Israel's 2005 redeployment, a move designed to reproduce Israel's "Jewish-democratic character" (Israel can't absorbe too many Arabs, as its political and military leadership is often at pains to point out), is now in full lockdown. Long before Hamas was elected in 2006, Israel was busily establishing "facts on the ground" across Palestine, with repeated attacks to back them up, and with a feckless and increasingly coopted Fatah incapable of doing anything much about it. One notorious attack in Gaza was launched against a refugee camp. From 2000-2006, Israel killed 2,300 Gazans, mainly civilians (whom it deliberately targets). Ever since, it has been using a combination of Quartet-supported blockade and routine attacks to ramp up the terror and suffering. The imposed power cuts and fuel shortages have entailed a shortage of clean water, with predictable effects. The seige launched in mid-2006, with extensive use of human shields, power stations bombed, and hundreds killed, was eclipsed by an all-out war on Lebanon. But the attacks on Gaza didn't stop. A single Israeli bomb killed two families, eighteen Palestinians, in Gaza in November 2006. In the same month, the IDF distinguished itself with a public massacre of female demonstrators outside a mosque. Shells were deliberately fired at Palestinian homes. In 2006 and 2007, Israel killed 816 Palestinians, including 152 children. Almost every child in Gaza has witnessed shootings, attacks, had their homes bombarded. 99.4% of Gazan children suffer trauma. The response from Palestinian groups, even with the determined effort to inflict some damage after the murder of the Ghaliya family, has been pretty low-key. Qassam rockets, smarties-tubes packed with gunpowder and sherbert, pathetically inept devices that rarely hit their intended target, or even any target at all. Since Israel's strategy of promoting civil war culminated in the loss of Gaza, it has been threatening to attack the strip. This attack has now begun in earnest.

Oh, but the luckless Sderot happens to be located nearby, thus copping a few miserable Qassam rockets that leave potholes in the streets and damage the walls. Poor, woebegone Sderot.*

Labels: fatah, gaza, hamas, Israel, occupation, palestine, sderot, zionism

*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sderot

Mermaid
Archon

Rate Mermaid

Bite me!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008-01-19 16:06:54 »

should we bring up israel/palestinian issue in fischer's obit thread?..
Hermit
Archon

Rate Hermit

Prime example of a practically perfect person

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 2008-01-19 17:21:38 »

"should we bring up israel/palestinian issue in fischer's obit thread?"

Bobby Fischer tried to bring up the "israel/palestinian issue" in his life - and the result was that he received the kind of press and obituaries that we are seeing here and elsewhere, by a press that is largely oriented to preserving a politically correct Zionist perspective. Repeatedly we see Fisher termed a lunatic; implying that what he had to say is not important. What I read as Fisher's message, which was that when we enable and support Israel's murderous program of genocide, then anything that happens to us in consequence is "deserved" is drowned out in the flood of invective aimed at his comments. But for people with a fraction of Fishers intelligence (and the associated psychological issues) to praise his pattern recognition and management capabilities in one area (chess) and simultaneously assert that they did not function in other areas is bizarre.

To put it in perspective, I think that when the people who reject and become angry at Fisher's message on this subject are as revolted and angered by the Russians killing Chechans, the Israelis killing Palestinians and the Americans killing Iraqis, Afghans and Sudanese, then, and then only can we afford to regard Fisher's words as the easily ignored, inconvenient ravings of a madman. Because then we won't need them anymore. We will have found some kind of sanity for ourselves. Until then the inmates are running the asylum. And perhaps some of them will wonder if this is an appropriate place or time to raise these issues. But if not here, as a tribute to one of the greatest minds to be spurned by society, about what he saw as critically important, to the point where he was spurned and derided for trying to raise the issue, then where and when would it be right?

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion. - Steven Weinberg, 1999
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to: