logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-04-19 17:15:59 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Everyone into the pool! Now online... the VirusWiki.

Church of Virus BBS
  General
  Society & Culture

Evangelist Pastor Drowns While Trying to Walk on Water
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: Evangelist Pastor Drowns While Trying to Walk on Water  (Read 667 times)
Blunderov
Archon

Rate Blunderov

"We think in generalities, we live in details"

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« on: 2007-05-06 13:57:31 »

[Blunderov] Let just one person do this kind of stuff under the influence of LSD and the event is subsequently reflected in every anti-drug lecture ever delivered in perpetuity. Somehow though, we do not get similar warnings against the perils of religion. Go figure. But if this is not a heavyweight contender for this years Darwin Awards then I don't know what is.*
atheistrevolution.blogspot.com

Labels: religion (costs of)

According to WorldNetDaily, an evangelical pastor told his congregation that he could repeat the alleged miracle of Jesus by walking on water. Before you dismiss this as an outrageous claim or even blasphemy, consider that the pastor based his claim on a revelation. The outcome? He drowned.

I do not blame the pastor for attempting this act. After all, he had a revelation. Many Christians will tell you that their entire faith is based on personal revelation. What I do blame him for is not being smart enough to realize that he wasn't walking on water until it was over his head, causing him to drown. When the annual Darwin awards come out, I think this pastor should be remembered.

The Christian response will almost certainly be something along the lines of how the pastor's faith was insufficiently strong, how he offended god with his pride, or some similar nonsense. If more evangelicals would put their faith to the test in this manner, I suspect there would be far fewer evangelicals. Far be it for me to stand in their way.

Postscript: Too harsh? Maybe. Ordinarily, mental health professionals would be compelled to try to prevent people from harming themselves. However, this would involve diagnosis and treatment of mental disorders. Since Christians have made sure that their religious delusions are off limits to the mental health profession, they have effectively tied our hands and assured that we will not be permitted to help them.
http://darwinawards.com/darwin/darwin2006-02.html
*Faithful Flotation
2006 Darwin Award Nominee
Confirmed True by Darwin
(August 2006, Libreville, Gabon) In August, a congregation's 35-year old pastor insisted one could literally walk on water, if one only had enough faith. Big and bold was his speech. He extolled the heavenly power possessed by a faithful man with such force that he may well have convinced himself. Whether or not he believed in his heart, his sermons left room for only shame should he leave his own faith untested. Thus, the pastor set out to walk across a major estuary, the path of a 20-minute ferry ride. But the man could not swim.
Lacking the miraculous powers of David Copperfield, let alone holy Jesus Christ, this ill-fated cleric found only a Darwin Award at the end of his final path.

(A related Personal Account from Palorca, Portugal: "I met an elder villager who once tried to walk on water. He strapped small floaters to his feet. He floated, all right, but upside down, with his head submersed. He was rescued by the spectators."

« Last Edit: 2007-05-06 14:09:32 by Blunderov » Report to moderator   Logged
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to: