logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-04-23 23:25:09 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Open for business: The CoV Store!

Church of Virus BBS
  General
  Society & Culture

Chastity
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
  Poll
Question:Should one remain Chaste until marriage?

Definately not. Its pointless.  11 (73%)
Its not important at all, but not a bad idea in order to stay away from trouble.  2 (13%)
Really not sure. Not really leaning either way either.  1 (6%)
Its something eveyone should do, but its ok if you choose not to.  1 (6%)
Yes. No one should ever under any circumstances have sex unless they are married.  0 (0%)

Total Votes: 15 

Author  Topic: Chastity  (Read 4068 times)
Mermaid
Archon

Rate Mermaid

Bite me!

View Profile
Re:Chastity
« Reply #30 on: 2005-05-24 18:12:18 »

Quote from: Rhysenn on 2005-05-24 12:36:16   

Quote:
However, can you expand more on why you think chastity is an irrational choice?

[..] However, remaining chaste based on morals, when it is not part of some religious dogma, I do not understand the rationality of. [..]

So you are essentially saying that making decisions on the basis of one's definition of morals is an irrational stance?
Report to moderator   Logged
DJ dAndroid
Archon

Rate DJ dAndroid

Ballet Mechanique

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: 2005-05-25 21:27:22 »

Quote from: Rhysenn on 2005-05-24 12:36:16   

Quote:
However, can you expand more on why you think chastity is an irrational choice?

I suppose that if you want to remain chaste because either you don't enjoy sex, you're afraid of pregnancy or you're afraid of STD contraction, then it makes sense even if others disagree. However, remaining chaste based on morals, when it is not part of some religious dogma, I do not understand the rationality of. I don't believe it leads to the betterment of society, and lack of chastity doesn't hurt anyone (if you are responsible). So why is this moral in place in some secular circles, as it seems? If there is some rationality, feel free to explain it to me. But if one is emotionally ready for sex and is responsible and uses proper contraception, any negative consequences are extremely minimal and i don't really see the drawbacks.
This summed it all up pretty good for myself. (So thank-you.) However, maybe that very word, "chastity" is exactly what's vexing here?

Quote:
according to www.dictionary.com

chas·ti·ty
n.
The condition or quality of being pure or chaste.
Virginity.
Virtuous character.
Celibacy.

AND/OR

chastity
n.
1: abstaining from sexual relations (as because of religious vows) <syn: celibacy, sexual abstention> 2: morality with respect to sexual relations <syn: virtue, sexual morality>
I suspect that Pabreetzio means chastity exactly as described above, (some sort of moral act) while most others here are discussing simply abstaining? As in it's a choice, pure and simple.  Clearly there is a difference?! Maybe the term "chastity" should hereafter be replaced by "abstention?"

Sex can be assigned SO many values! The Virian way (I think?) is happily discuss and observe! (To fuck or not to fuck? That is the question...) But not to assign morality or to pass judgement.

Pabreetzio, you have made some pretty broad (& bold) statements Re: sex & society. For eg:
"There are good reasons for abstaining from sex, and it would be great if sex wasnt rated so highly.
Or about chastity as a societal norm, etc.

We all have our own views on what we can live with, or forget, or forgive, or what's in good taste, or of questionable judgement, etc. But at the end of the night it's all between you, your partner(s), and umm, you again.
I don't worry about what my neighbors are up to. I may question some of my friends' judgements etc. but it's still none of my business.

Really, at this point I don't think it's wise at all to only experience "the" one partner. I think that as long as you're responsible and informed, also honest with yourself and others. Sex is an act that has far too many layers and possibilities to be looked at or experienced from only 1 or 2 dimensions.

Shouldn't robots have the same right as humans to have gender and express their sexuality?
_Clayton Bailey_
http://www.claytonbailey.com/monrobot.htm
Drakeo Vortex
Adept

Rate Drakeo Vortex

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #32 on: 2005-05-26 09:54:13 »

The whole teenage relationship waiting for sex thing Warps the reality of young minds.

They begin to behave like sitcoms and soap opera characters.

In fact the relationship value system as a whole makes these "special bonds"  way too important. It only serves to create addition fictional realities about how magical and special the "bond" is.

And it's so much worse when you add in all the "waiting for the special and perfect moment when we are bonded forever crap"......... like starving yourself for a week knowing at the end of the week you get to eat a chinese buffet.

That's right I said it, Drakeo
David Lucifer
Archon

Rate David Lucifer

Enlighten me.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #33 on: 2005-05-28 19:25:12 »

Quote from: Pabreetzio on 2005-05-28 01:45:51   

Sex is not essential. Smoking is not essential. illicit drugs that get you high are not essential. alcohol is not essential. To think that one needs any of those is irrational. To engage in any of those, with the exception of sex after marriage, is hedonistic. Hedonism is a flawed world view which arrises from the  missinterpretation of insticts that resulted in our evolution.

I didn't need to read your post but I enjoyed it anyway. Is that hedonism? Maybe I should abstain next time? Would denying myself the pleasure build character?
MoEnzyme
Acolyte

Rate MoEnzyme

infidel lab animal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: 2005-05-30 19:56:45 »

Quote from: Drakeo Vortex on 2005-05-26 09:54:13   
The whole teenage relationship waiting for sex thing Warps the reality of young minds.

They begin to behave like sitcoms and soap opera characters.

In fact the relationship value system as a whole makes these "special bonds"  way too important. It only serves to create addition fictional realities about how magical and special the "bond" is.

And it's so much worse when you add in all the "waiting for the special and perfect moment when we are bonded forever crap"......... like starving yourself for a week knowing at the end of the week you get to eat a chinese buffet.

That's right I said it, Drakeo

Thanks for saying it.  I agree.  Ironically I think it is the abstinence only, pro-chastity crowd that makes sex to be something much more unrealistically important than it really is.  Could you imagine the pressure that someone who actually subscribes to this programming must feel if they really follow through, wait until after marriage to fuck for the first time in their lives, and possibly find out that they have married someone they are sexually incompatible with?  Of course if they really believe it, they are going to spend countless weeks, months, or even years to work on a "problem" that is essentially unsolvable. How cruel!

Ethical responsibility here has nothing to do with blindly following some foolish morals that other people in another century cooked up for you, but rather protecting your own interests while you discover what you really want out of life.  The Pro-chastity, abstinence-only wackos would have you believe the other side of the argument is all about having irresponsible (unprotected) sex with whomever, but of course thats just the fictitious moral boogeyman they have conjured up for their hapless memebots.  So once again, thanks for saying it.

Perhaps you really want to fuck everything that moves; thats fine just keep in mind consenting adults and birth control.  On the other hand, if you don't want to fuck the reproductive partner your parents and social net think you ought to, then by all means dump em and move on.  It's the kindest way.  Life is too much of a short one time affair to waste your time with rules concocted on fictitious assumptions that have no relevance to the current real world.

Thanks,

-Jake
« Last Edit: 2005-05-30 20:00:40 by Jake Sapiens » Report to moderator   Logged

I will fight your gods for food,
Mo Enzyme

(consolidation of handles: Jake Sapiens; memelab; logicnazi; Loki; Every1Hz; and Shadow)
Mermaid
Archon

Rate Mermaid

Bite me!

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2005-06-02 17:02:39 »

slightly related question..

how many of you will pay for sex?

and admit it?
Pages: 1 2 [3] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print