logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-04-23 18:10:33 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Read the first edition of the Ideohazard

Church of Virus BBS
  Mailing List
  Virus 2004

Evolution and Learning: Baldwin Effect Reconsidered
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: Evolution and Learning: Baldwin Effect Reconsidered  (Read 572 times)
rhinoceros
Archon

Rate rhinoceros

My point is ...

View Profile WWW E-Mail
Evolution and Learning: Baldwin Effect Reconsidered
« on: 2004-08-13 22:27:52 »

I found a new article with a review of a book on the Baldwin Effect. The "Baldwin Effect", which was proposed by J. Mark Baldwin 100 years ago, has been coming up again and again in discussions of Evolution. Many evolutionists reject it while others (notably Daniel Dennett) have been arguing for it in one form or other.

The effect sounds like a kind of Lamarckism. Lamarck, unlike Darwin, supported that traits which are acquired (learned) during one's lifetime could be inherited (for example, the giraffe stretched her neck to reach the high branches, her neck was extended a bit and, as a result, her children had longer necks). Of course, this was simply false. There is no genetic mechanism for anything like that. Our ways of evolution are only two: (a) random mutations and natural selection by means of survival and (b) genetic recombination by means of sexual selection.

Now, the Baldwin Effect is a kind of "Darwinian Lamarckism" (pardon me the expression): In a given culture which favors certain acquired/learned traits, those who have the genetic capability and inclination to develop these traits are sexually selected. As a result, evolution is accelerated a lot, as simulations have shown.

Imagine for example a society where technological and other factors have made it so that nerds have a high status, higher than bodybuilders. Those who have the genetic capability/predisposition to become nerds easier than others will go to school, learn what it takes, and get both the money and the girl.

I talked too much. Here is the article.

Evolution and Learning: The Baldwin Effect Reconsidered
http://human-nature.com/ep/reviews/ep02105107.html

Report to moderator   Logged
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to: