logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-04-16 14:11:52 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Donations now taken through PayPal

Church of Virus BBS
  General
  Science & Technology

Stephen Hawking: to infinity and beyond! Or die.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: Stephen Hawking: to infinity and beyond! Or die.  (Read 1073 times)
letheomaniac
Archon

Rate letheomaniac

View Profile E-Mail
Stephen Hawking: to infinity and beyond! Or die.
« on: 2010-08-10 12:36:04 »

[letheomaniac] It seems the venerable Stephen Hawking thinks that we've screwed up our planet so badly we're going to need a new one. Soon.

Source: The Telegraph
Author: Richard Alleyne
Dated: 9/8/10

Stephen Hawking: mankind must move to outer space within a century

The human race must look to outer space within the next century or it will become extinct, Professor Stephen Hawking has warned.

The renowned astrophysicist said he fears mankind is in great danger and its future "must be in space" if it is to survive.

In an interview he said threats to the existence of the human race such as war, resource depletion and overpopulation meant it was at its greater risk ever.

Although a long advocate of colonising space in order to continue man's reign, this is his direst warning to date.

"It will be difficult enough to avoid disaster in the next hundred years, let alone the next thousand or million," he told the website Big Think.

"Our only chance of long-term survival is not to remain inward looking on planet Earth but to spread out into space.

"We have made remarkable progress in the last hundred years. But if we want to continue beyond the next hundred years, our future is in space.

"That is why I'm in favour of manned, or should I say 'personed', space flight."

Earlier this year Professor Hawking warned that exploring space may not be entirely without risk.

In a series for the Discovery Channel, he said humans should be wary about making contact with alien life forms as they may not be friendly.

But he said as long as we remained the only intelligent life in our galaxy and avoided destroying ourselves we should be safe.

"I see great dangers for the human race," Hawking said. "There have been a number of times in the past when its survival has been a question of touch and go. The Cuban missile crisis in 1963 was one of these. The frequency of such occasions is likely to increase in the future."

"But I'm an optimist. If we can avoid disaster for the next two centuries, our species should be safe, as we spread into space," he said.

Getting to another planet will prove a challenge, not to mention colonising it for humanity.

Katherine Freese, a University of Michigan astrophysicist, told Big Think that "the nearest star [to Earth] is Proxima Centauri which is 4.2 light years away.

That means that, if you were travelling at the speed of light the whole time, it would take 4.2 years to get there" – or about 50,000 years using current rocket science.
« Last Edit: 2010-08-12 14:25:36 by letheomaniac » Report to moderator   Logged

"You can't teach an old dogma new tricks." - Dorothy Parker
MoEnzyme
Acolyte

Rate MoEnzyme

infidel lab animal

View Profile WWW
Re:Stephen Hawking: to infinity and beyond! Or die.
« Reply #1 on: 2010-08-12 14:33:33 »

Quote from: letheomaniac on 2010-08-10 12:36:04   
[letheomaniac] It seems the venerable Stephen Hawking thinks that we've screwed up our planet so badly we're going to need a new one. Soon.

Source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/space/7935505/Stephen-Hawking-mankind-must-move-to-outer-space-within-a-century.html
Author: Richard Alleyne
Dated: 9/8/10

Stephen Hawking: mankind must move to outer space within a century

The human race must look to outer space within the next century or it will become extinct, Professor Stephen Hawking has warned.

The renowned astrophysicist said he fears mankind is in great danger and its future "must be in space" if it is to survive.

In an interview he said threats to the existence of the human race such as war, resource depletion and overpopulation meant it was at its greater risk ever.

Although a long advocate of colonising space in order to continue man's reign, this is his direst warning to date.

"It will be difficult enough to avoid disaster in the next hundred years, let alone the next thousand or million," he told the website Big Think.

"Our only chance of long-term survival is not to remain inward looking on planet Earth but to spread out into space.

"We have made remarkable progress in the last hundred years. But if we want to continue beyond the next hundred years, our future is in space.

"That is why I'm in favour of manned, or should I say 'personed', space flight."

Earlier this year Professor Hawking warned that exploring space may not be entirely without risk.

In a series for the Discovery Channel, he said humans should be wary about making contact with alien life forms as they may not be friendly.

But he said as long as we remained the only intelligent life in our galaxy and avoided destroying ourselves we should be safe.

"I see great dangers for the human race," Hawking said. "There have been a number of times in the past when its survival has been a question of touch and go. The Cuban missile crisis in 1963 was one of these. The frequency of such occasions is likely to increase in the future."

"But I'm an optimist. If we can avoid disaster for the next two centuries, our species should be safe, as we spread into space," he said.

Getting to another planet will prove a challenge, not to mention colonising it for humanity.

Katherine Freese, a University of Michigan astrophysicist, told Big Think that "the nearest star [to Earth] is Proxima Centauri which is 4.2 light years away.

That means that, if you were travelling at the speed of light the whole time, it would take 4.2 years to get there" – or about 50,000 years using current rocket science.

Mo: A bit of a counter point:

Full comment:http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2010/08/kiss_space_goodbye.php

excerpt: Forget going to planets around other stars — the distances are absurdly excessive. But also forget about colonizing planets in our solar system: not only is it ridiculously expensive just to put a human being on another planet, it isn't even an attractive proposition.
« Last Edit: 2010-08-12 14:36:23 by MoEnzyme » Report to moderator   Logged

I will fight your gods for food,
Mo Enzyme

(consolidation of handles: Jake Sapiens; memelab; logicnazi; Loki; Every1Hz; and Shadow)
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to: