logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-04-15 23:56:18 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Check out the IRC chat feature.

Church of Virus BBS
  General
  Science & Technology

Research: How you think about your age may affect how you age
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: Research: How you think about your age may affect how you age  (Read 3500 times)
Sat
Acolyte

Rate Sat

Freelance Pedestrian

View Profile WWW
« on: 2010-02-23 17:38:38 »

February 22, 2010 by Amy Patterson Neubert

(PhysOrg.com) -- The saying "You're only as old as you feel" really seems to resonate with older adults, according to research from Purdue University.

"How old you are matters, but beyond that it's your interpretation that has far-reaching implications for the process of aging," said Markus H. Schafer, a doctoral student in sociology and gerontology who led the study. "So, if you feel old beyond your own chronological years you are probably going to experience a lot of the downsides that we associate with aging.

"But if you are older and maintain a sense of being younger, then that gives you an edge in maintaining a lot of the abilities you prize."

Schafer and co-author Tetyana P. Shippee, a Purdue graduate who is a research associate at Purdue's Center on Aging and the Life Course, compared people's chronological age and their subjective age to determine which one has a greater influence on cognitive abilities during older adulthood. Nearly 500 people ages 55-74 were surveyed about aging in 1995 and 2005 as part of the National Survey of Midlife Development in the United States.

In 1995, when people were asked what age do you feel most of the time, the majority identified with being 12 years younger than they actually were.

"We found that these people who felt young for their age were more likely to have greater confidence about their cognitive abilities a decade later," Schafer said. "Yes, chronological age was important, but the subjective age had a stronger effect.

"What we are not sure about is what comes first. Does a person's wellness and happiness affect their cognitive abilities or does a person's cognitive ability contribute to their sense of wellness. We are planning to address this in a future study."

Schafer also said that the current study's findings have both positive and negative implications.

"There is a tremendous emphasis on being youthful in our society and that can have a negative effect for people," Schafer said. "People want to feel younger, and so when they do inevitably age they can lose a lot of confidence in their cognitive abilities.

"But on the other hand, because there is such a desire in America to stay young, there may be benefits of trying to maintain a sense of youthfulness by keeping up with new trends and activities that feel invigorating. Learning new technologies is one way people can continue to improve their cognitive abilities. It will be interesting to see how, or if, these cultural norms shift as the Baby Boomer generation ages."

Other studies have shown that women are prone to aging stereotypes, so Schafer expected to see that women who felt older about themselves would have less confidence in their cognitive abilities.

"There is a slight difference between men and women, but it's not as pronounced as we expected," Schafer said. "This was surprising because of the emphasis on physical attractiveness and youth that is often disproportionately placed on women."

Schafer also is studying how stressful events, such as family members' health issues, affect aging, as well as how happiness and aging relate.

These finding were published in January's Journal of Gerontology: Social Sciences, and the study was funded by the National Institutes of Health.

http://www.physorg.com/news186088769.html
« Last Edit: 2010-02-25 17:35:11 by David Lucifer » Report to moderator   Logged

Ascend Through Modification

Church of Virus Web Hosting Donations

MoEnzyme
Acolyte

Rate MoEnzyme

infidel lab animal

View Profile WWW
Re: Research: How you think about your age may affect how you age
« Reply #1 on: 2010-02-23 19:27:58 »

Personally I can't really stand the youngsters much anymore unless they have something going for themselves productively and/or intellectually other than just being young, or I'm actually being paid something to look after their interests on some limited basis. I've met a scarce few who have managed to learn some historical-appreciation/future-perspective which intrigues me, but frankly for the most part I'm really not looking for friends half my age or younger for these kinds of reasons. Over time I've found that my favorite people tend to be oldsters who like keeping up with the world around them, especially in terms of technology, politics, and thinking about the future of humanity rather than simply obsessing about how to dispose of their estate (even though I recognize that importance too). When I think of who I'd like to be when I "grow up", those are the ones I most consider.

Most youngsters believe in their own immortality, so what? Nothing new there. But I most like older people who have a reasonable historical perspective for their memetic future even as they appreciate their own potential physical mortality. It might seem a fragile path, but such has always been the way forward.

-Mo

Report to moderator   Logged

I will fight your gods for food,
Mo Enzyme

(consolidation of handles: Jake Sapiens; memelab; logicnazi; Loki; Every1Hz; and Shadow)
Hermit
Archon

Rate Hermit

Prime example of a practically perfect person

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 2010-02-23 19:59:58 »

MoEnzyme, please don't forget that we are waiting for your responses to the following questions at
http://www.churchofvirus.org/bbs/index.php?board=4;action=display;threadid=43283;start=45.

For somebody who said a whole lot, and is apparently watching this thread like a hawk, there are a large number of answers missing. Their absence speaks volumes about the degree of dissonance you are internalizing. In the absence of more substantive responses, questions multiply.

Mermaid:
    1. why should sainting turing 'force' us to deal with his homosexuality.
    3. do we have an official cov stand on american 'dont ask, dont tell' policy?
    4. really...tell us. what is this 'stand' virians are supposed to take..? please..enquiring minds want to know..

Hermit:
    1) What exactly is the stand on homosexuality you want to force the CoV into taking by appointing Turing as a Virian saint?
    2) I'll add a second question based on your previous assertions and the threats implicit in:

Church of Virus BBS, General, Church Doctrine, to mo enzyme: re your bizarre behaviour, Reply 29, 2010-02-20, MoEnzyme

which will likely happen regardless of your backwardness or Hermit's publicly bragging about the "1" rating he's given me. Its all already been figured into the problem even if these things haven't yet crossed your currently shrunken consciousness.
        If you'd pull your head out of your ass you'd recognize that, and if these are important issues to perhaps you and Hermit SHOULD consider these things seriously instead of just chastising me for it.

Why do you continue to assert that, "I felt that a simple up or down vote bypassed all these issues"?

3) Do you not care?
    4) Are you incapable of cleaning up the mess you have made?
    5) Do you imagine that some version of the 5th Amendment applies in debate?
    6) Are you merely, as the military code charmingly refers to it, engaging in dumb insolence?
    7) Do your words and thoughts count for so little that we should discount them as heavily as you do?
    8 ) Is there something else entirely behind your inability to answer simple questions about your own assertions?

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion. - Steven Weinberg, 1999
Walter Watts
Archon

Rate Walter Watts

Just when I thought I was out-they pull me back in

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #3 on: 2010-02-24 08:40:12 »

Quote from: Hermit on 2010-02-23 19:59:58   

MoEnzyme, please don't forget that we are waiting for your responses to the following questions at
http://www.churchofvirus.org/bbs/index.php?board=4;action=display;threadid=43283;start=45.

For somebody who said a whole lot, and is apparently watching this thread like a hawk, there are a large number of answers missing. Their absence speaks volumes about the degree of dissonance you are internalizing. In the absence of more substantive responses, questions multiply.

Mermaid:
    4. really...tell us. what is this 'stand' virians are supposed to take..? please..enquiring minds want to know..

Hermit:
    1) What exactly is the stand on homosexuality you want to force the CoV into taking by appointing Turing as a Virian saint?
    2) I'll add a second question based on your previous assertions and the threats implicit in:

Church of Virus BBS, General, Church Doctrine, to mo enzyme: re your bizarre behaviour, Reply 29, 2010-02-20, MoEnzyme

which will likely happen regardless of your backwardness or Hermit's publicly bragging about the "1" rating he's given me. Its all already been figured into the problem even if these things haven't yet crossed your currently shrunken consciousness.
        If you'd pull your head out of your ass you'd recognize that, and if these are important issues to perhaps you and Hermit SHOULD consider these things seriously instead of just chastising me for it.

Why do you continue to assert that, "I felt that a simple up or down vote bypassed all these issues"?

3) Do you not care?
    6) Are you merely, as the military code charmingly refers to it, engaging in dumb insolence?
    7) Do your words and thoughts count for so little that we should discount them as heavily as you do?
    8 ) Is there something else entirely behind your inability to answer simple questions about your own assertions?

What does this have to do with Sat's new thread titled: "Research: How you think about your age may affect how you age"?

Would you please not hijack other threads to promulgate personal disputes concerning unrelated posts?

It makes for a very messy BBS environment.

Thanks

Walter

Walter Watts
Tulsa Network Solutions, Inc.

No one gets to see the Wizard! Not nobody! Not no how!
Sat
Acolyte

Rate Sat

Freelance Pedestrian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: 2010-02-24 11:30:14 »

Mo writes:

"Personally I can't really stand the youngsters much anymore unless they have something going for themselves productively and/or intellectually other than just being young, or I'm actually being paid something to look after their interests on some limited basis. I've met a scarce few who have managed to learn some historical-appreciation/future-perspective which intrigues me, but frankly for the most part I'm really not looking for friends half my age or younger for these kinds of reasons. Over time I've found that my favorite people tend to be oldsters who like keeping up with the world around them, especially in terms of technology, politics, and thinking about the future of humanity rather than simply obsessing about how to dispose of their estate (even though I recognize that importance too). When I think of who I'd like to be when I "grow up", those are the ones I most consider.

Most youngsters believe in their own immortality, so what? Nothing new there. But I most like older people who have a reasonable historical perspective for their memetic future even as they appreciate their own potential physical mortality. It might seem a fragile path, but such has always been the way forward.

-Mo"

Hey Mo,

Me, I like hanging out with younger people, since their interests and world view often align with mine.  They are forward looking rather than nostalgic and static.  Most but not all oldsters I know are entrenched in their ways, conservative or unwilling to engage in any meaningful kind of discussion.  Maybe I'm a "vampire" or just plain retarded (probably the latter), but all my current RL friends are younger.

Does this make me feel younger and ease my aging?  Hard to say, since I've never considered it.  I feel frisky, and engaged in life. 

What gets me about aging in our culture is that there seems to be an expectation that one grow up.  It's cliche how when people are young they are expected to rebel and rail against the old, and then when they "grow up" people are expected to fill other roles such as being good worker bees, seeking the American dream, and especially expected to say things like, "These damn kids today... no respect! WHEN I WAS A KID... blah blah blah."

- Sat
« Last Edit: 2010-02-24 11:32:42 by Sat » Report to moderator   Logged

Ascend Through Modification

Church of Virus Web Hosting Donations

MoEnzyme
Acolyte

Rate MoEnzyme

infidel lab animal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 2010-02-24 11:36:34 »

Sat,
Yeah, I don't care for the cranky entrenched oldsters you mention and that's a lot of them. I have had the pleasure of knowing a few, however, who keep a young outlook. I suppose I just look for the kind of person I'd like to become when I get older.
-Mo

I will fight your gods for food,
Mo Enzyme

(consolidation of handles: Jake Sapiens; memelab; logicnazi; Loki; Every1Hz; and Shadow)
Mermaid
Archon

Rate Mermaid

Bite me!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2010-02-24 12:35:52 »

even though i havent voted, it seems that the turing sainthood is confirmed. it makes me happy, but this entire sorry episode has shown me Mo's true colours...his "loki" persona peeking.

also..hermit..the only reason i am asking you to give up in this thread rather than elsewhere in the bbs is because it seems to me that its very existence is a bait. read between the lines. i'd suggest that you give up on cov.

interestingly cov makes me feel old. i keep coming back to this place after every real world trip/move i make over these 10 something years pre bbs/javien years..because its my online 'constant'. everytime i travel and gain different world experiences out there, i change. i like to read my old posts and i feel differently about a lot of things that i have felt strongly about in the past here. my growth and evolution has been recorded here. for that reason, i am grateful to cov.

yet cov remains the same if not more juvenile sometimes. there are 2473 members on the bbs and less than 10 people post regularly. there are no more serious and fun discussions anymore. we dont have a real world presence. we havent achieved much. but it's ok. i'd like things to change around here. i'd like cov to age gracefully. i think of cov as an older middle aged entity...filling out the hard edges with knowledge and maturity.

there are young people who are mature beyond their years and old people who are juvenile. i suppose not everyone feels the need to hang on to their 'youth'.

observation: i practice mysore ashtanga yoga and some of the more serious ashtangis i know look extremely youthful..40 something year olds look like they are in their mid 20s. but not everyone is into what i call the 'om' mode...some of them are calm..others are buzzing energy bundles...but most of them are creative and have incredible drive. it hit me a while later when my own practice deepened...something about yoga..esp ashtanga yoga..keeps you young on a physical level. it spills over onto the mental and emotional plane. the ashtangis act like they were when they were younger/teens. they could have been willful, calm, creative, horny, studious..after speaking to more than a few of them, i realised that they were subconsciously reverting back to their teen state of mind. to every one of them, it was a wide eyed revelation.

perhaps it works the other way around too..physical youth contributes to a younger state of mind which allows us to beat 'old age' while still allowing us to age gracefully...

Quote from: Walter Watts on 2010-02-24 08:40:12   

Quote from: Hermit on 2010-02-23 19:59:58   

Mermaid:

Hermit:

3) Do you not care?

What does this have to do with Sat's new thread titled: "Research: How you think about your age may affect how you age"?

Would you please not hijack other threads to promulgate personal disputes concerning unrelated posts?

It makes for a very messy BBS environment.

Thanks

Walter
Hermit
Archon

Rate Hermit

Prime example of a practically perfect person

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: 2010-02-24 15:50:09 »

Walter,

MoEnzyme has apparently decided to rewrite the rules under which the BBS is operated by attacking people, deleting posts, locking threads, voting down other members and electing not to respond to legitimate questions about his behaviour and assertions on the BBS. As such, raising the issue in other places may cause him to reassess his silence. This is not an issue about threads, it is an issue about MoEnzyme's approach and an attempt to establish an effective response to his BBS behaviour. Hopefully the need won't persist for very long.

According to Sat, he apparently proposed the rating war, and is colluding with Mo and introducing new players. As both members of this cabal are on this thread, it seems an appropriate place to respond. Over the past week Sat reduced his rating of me first to 5 and then to 1. I have now reciprocated in an attempt to maintain some equilibrium in the process.

From #virus

11:24:11   Sat   well the rating war right now is among some higher up virians who are down rating one another to fubar voting weights on issues.
11:24:19   Sat   I suggested it to Mo, actually.
11:24:26   Sat   I wanted to test how it'd unfold
11:24:29   Sat   * Sat winks
11:24:41   Orochi   Ah social engineering, thou art most clever.
11:24:45   Sat   * Sat watches his rating decrement
« Last Edit: 2010-02-24 16:00:38 by Hermit » Report to moderator   Logged

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion. - Steven Weinberg, 1999
Mermaid
Archon

Rate Mermaid

Bite me!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2010-02-24 18:32:40 »

i am unimpressed by the rating system. i could maintain a high rating by being invisible...saying the right things to the right people here or on chat. or better still..cybersex. doh.

red badge of honour etc.

Quote from: Hermit on 2010-02-24 15:50:09   

Walter,

MoEnzyme has apparently decided to rewrite the rules under which the BBS is operated by attacking people, deleting posts, locking threads, voting down other members and electing not to respond to legitimate questions about his behaviour and assertions on the BBS. As such, raising the issue in other places may cause him to reassess his silence. This is not an issue about threads, it is an issue about MoEnzyme's approach and an attempt to establish an effective response to his BBS behaviour. Hopefully the need won't persist for very long.

According to Sat, he apparently proposed the rating war, and is colluding with Mo and introducing new players. As both members of this cabal are on this thread, it seems an appropriate place to respond. Over the past week Sat reduced his rating of me first to 5 and then to 1. I have now reciprocated in an attempt to maintain some equilibrium in the process.

From #virus

11:24:11   Sat   well the rating war right now is among some higher up virians who are down rating one another to fubar voting weights on issues.
11:24:19   Sat   I suggested it to Mo, actually.
11:24:26   Sat   I wanted to test how it'd unfold
11:24:29   Sat   * Sat winks
11:24:41   Orochi   Ah social engineering, thou art most clever.
11:24:45   Sat   * Sat watches his rating decrement
David Lucifer
Archon

Rate David Lucifer

Enlighten me.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #9 on: 2010-02-26 12:39:23 »

Quote from: Mermaid on 2010-02-24 18:32:40   

i am unimpressed by the rating system. i could maintain a high rating by being invisible...saying the right things to the right people here or on chat. or better still..cybersex. doh.

If that is true then you have to blame the raters, not the rating system.
Mermaid
Archon

Rate Mermaid

Bite me!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2010-02-26 14:52:15 »

right. but its only because the system allows for such shenanigans.

Quote from: David Lucifer on 2010-02-26 12:39:23   

Quote from: Mermaid on 2010-02-24 18:32:40   

If that is true then you have to blame the raters, not the rating system.
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to: