logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-04-24 05:49:01 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Read the first edition of the Ideohazard

Church of Virus BBS
  General
  Science & Technology

The most inflated "blue sky" market valuation EVER
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: The most inflated "blue sky" market valuation EVER  (Read 2243 times)
Walter Watts
Archon

Rate Walter Watts

Just when I thought I was out-they pull me back in

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« on: 2009-08-19 21:16:32 »

Warning! -- Walter takes a short trip in the "Way-Back" machine....
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The January 19, 1999 - $6.7 billion merger of Excite and @Home became one of the largest mergers of two Internet companies ever; it combined @Home's high speed internet services and existing portal with Excite’s search engine and portal. The combined company also moved towards personalized web portal content.

The merger between Excite and @Home fell disastrously short of expectations. The stock which once soared at $128.34 a share in the first quarter of 1999 and had a market cap of $35 billion had fallen to $1 a share by the third quarter of 2001 when the company formally filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection.

[Walter]
IMHO, this merger had to have the most inflated "blue sky" market valuation EVER (relative to any real, put-your-hands-on assets) of any transaction I had ever seen to that date (and maybe even to now). I used Alta Vista as a search engine at the time and also made Excite my home page, ultimately using the two for what seemed like a very long time. (FYI--always with Netscape. NEVER used IE. NEVER got a virus.)
(Anyone remember Pointcast?) 

I mean hell! We're talking about a moderately-sized room full of 1999 server equipment and some crawler software, which is summarized by Wikipedia thusly:

"At launch, the Excite@Home service had two innovations which set it ahead of the other search engines. It used a fast, multi-threaded crawler (Scooter) which could cover a lot more Web pages than were believed to exist at the time and an efficient search back-end running on advanced hardware. As of 1998, it used 20 multi-processor machines using DEC's 64-bit Alpha processor. Together, the back-end machines had 130 GB of RAM and 500 GB of hard disk space, and received 13 million queries per day.This made AltaVista the first searchable, full-text database of a large part of the World Wide Web. The distinguishing feature of AltaVista was its minimalistic interface compared with other search engines of the time; a feature which was lost when it became a portal, but was regained when it refocused its efforts on its search function."
« Last Edit: 2009-08-19 21:17:58 by Walter Watts » Report to moderator   Logged

Walter Watts
Tulsa Network Solutions, Inc.

No one gets to see the Wizard! Not nobody! Not no how!
MoEnzyme
Acolyte

Rate MoEnzyme

infidel lab animal

View Profile WWW
Re:The most inflated "blue sky" market valuation EVER
« Reply #1 on: 2009-08-24 08:07:07 »

Hey,

That's not sooooooo way back. I know both of us were already in the CoV at that time.

:::me looks around, thinking of who all have left and arrived since then:::

okay, well maybe its kinda way back.
Report to moderator   Logged

I will fight your gods for food,
Mo Enzyme

(consolidation of handles: Jake Sapiens; memelab; logicnazi; Loki; Every1Hz; and Shadow)
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to: