logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-04-24 09:46:53 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Open for business: The CoV Store!

Church of Virus BBS
  General
  Science & Technology

Is Betelgeuse becoming less juicy?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: Is Betelgeuse becoming less juicy?  (Read 982 times)
letheomaniac
Archon

Rate letheomaniac

View Profile E-Mail
Is Betelgeuse becoming less juicy?
« on: 2009-06-15 04:49:19 »

[letheomaniac] I would be rather upset if the star with far and away the coolest name of the lot exploded... would be an excellent light show though.

Source: National Geographic
Author: Ker Than
Dated: 10/6/2009

Famous Star Is Shrinking, Puzzling Astronomers

One of the largest known stars in the universe is shrinking rapidly, and astronomers don't know why.

Betelgeuse (pronounced almost like "beetle juice") is a red supergiant star 600 light-years away in the constellation Orion. From Earth the star is clearly visible with the naked eye as the reddish dot that marks Orion's left shoulder.

Researchers at the University of California, Berkeley, first measured the star in 1993 with an infrared instrument on top of Southern California's Mount Wilson. They estimated the star to be as big around as Jupiter's orbit around the sun.

But measurements made since then using the same instrument show that Betelgeuse is now only about as wide as the orbit of Venus—a size reduction of about 15 percent in 15 years.

The cause of the star's rapid contraction is a mystery. But the team noted that they had observed an unusual big red spot on the star three years ago.

"Maybe there's some kind of instability going on there," said study team member Charles Townes, a Nobel Prize-winning astronomer at the University of California, Berkeley.

"This red spot may be connected with the fact that [Betelgeuse is] gradually shrinking in size."

Collapse or Bounce Back?

A class of stars known as Mira variables are known to swell and contract by as much as 25 percent every two years—at their lowest points Mira stars can completely disappear from view.

Astronomers know how and why Mira stars pulsate, and they know that the pulses are linked to changes in the stars' brightness.

Betelgeuse is a type of variable star, with slight dips in its brightness every few years. (Find out why Betelgeuse is also called the Valentine's Day star.)

But its pulses are nowhere near as dramatic as those of Mira stars, the UC Berkeley researchers say. And on average the star is no fainter now than it was 15 years ago.

"Something unusual is happening with this star. The question is, What's going to happen next?" Townes said.

Betelgeuse is about 8.5 million years old, and astronomers predict it could explode as a supernova at any time. When it detonates, the blast should be clearly visible from Earth.

(Related: "Supernova 'Shock Breakout' Seen From Red Giant—A First.")

"Is it going to keep on shrinking and maybe collapse, or will it oscillate back and forth?" Townes mused. "We don't know."

Findings presented June 9 at the 214th meeting of the American Astronomical Society in Pasadena, California.
Report to moderator   Logged

"You can't teach an old dogma new tricks." - Dorothy Parker
MoEnzyme
Acolyte

Rate MoEnzyme

infidel lab animal

View Profile WWW
Re:Is Betelgeuse becoming less juicy?
« Reply #1 on: 2009-06-18 12:16:25 »

Okay,

Well, Lucifer reassured me that we don't have to worry about Betelgeuse ending life on earth. Seems that some other credible internet resources agree with him (as usual). I still say its an experiment that hasn't been tried before, but I suppose if it explodes it will be a spectacular show regardless. Certainly many prone to that kind of thinking will place religious significance on it.

« Last Edit: 2009-06-18 12:28:01 by MoEnzyme » Report to moderator   Logged

I will fight your gods for food,
Mo Enzyme

(consolidation of handles: Jake Sapiens; memelab; logicnazi; Loki; Every1Hz; and Shadow)
letheomaniac
Archon

Rate letheomaniac

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #2 on: 2009-06-23 10:28:57 »

Quote:
Seems that some other credible internet resources agree with him (as usual).
[letheomaniac]Well, at least now I know it wasn't a Great Collapsing Hrung disaster. I am, of course, completely unable to explain what a hrung is, or why it would choose to collapse on Betelgeuse. I'm pretty sure I'm not going to die of shame as a consequence of my ignorance though...

"You can't teach an old dogma new tricks." - Dorothy Parker
Fritz
Archon

Rate Fritz

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #3 on: 2009-06-29 16:39:08 »

Well it would be interesting of the super nova coincides with 2012 doomsday rants and WTF is with this section of Google Sky and Microsoft Telescope that has not been up dated in 2 years; ...... I've got my 'tinfoil' hat on and am stock piling dry goods in the shelter .....

Cheers

Fritz

Google Sky section said not to be updated

More Questions then Answers ....

Where there is the necessary technical skill to move mountains, there is no need for the faith that moves mountains -anon-
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to: