logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-04-16 03:13:31 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Donations now taken through PayPal

Church of Virus BBS
  General
  Virian Book Club

Matt Ridley and Paul Ekman.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: Matt Ridley and Paul Ekman.  (Read 1020 times)
Mermaid
Archon

Rate Mermaid

Bite me!

View Profile
Matt Ridley and Paul Ekman.
« on: 2003-10-15 23:14:32 »

What I am reading now:

Matt Ridley:

Red Queen
Origins of Virtue
Nature via Nurture(havent started this one yet)

Emotions revealed - Paul Ekman.

If anyone has read any of the above titles, please add your review/opinions/impressions to this thread.
Report to moderator   Logged
fishsuit
Initiate

Rate fishsuit

Bananaramapajamas
fishsuit
View Profile E-Mail
Re:Matt Ridley and Paul Ekman.
« Reply #1 on: 2005-04-17 22:52:53 »

The Red Queen is brilliant.  One thing that surprised me is he mentions Desmond Morris without the one theory Desmond gave voice to that had the most to do with sex selection, that the breasts and lips were selected to reflect ass and vulva, respectively.
What he does mention is a whole lot of explanatory behavioral aspects of the male and female sexual strategies.  This whole line of reasoning starts with the size of parental investment in egg/sperm (namely that women invest a whole lot more biological resources).  So the basic (human) strategies concerning this major difference is that women test men for fidelity and willingness to invest in children post birth, and men just want to impregnate as many women as possible, after all they have more to gain from casual sex since women can only really have one baby every year or so (if that, considering that this is during human evolutionary times, and hence hunter gatherer conditions).  Women still gain from affairs though if they get hot-guy genes out of it.  A good cuckolded husband and a powerful attractive lover is ideal.  Men like women young because of fertility and women like men powerful because of gene testing. 

He also discusses why sex evolved at all, but this part left me still wondering about aspects of it. 

I know it seems like i'm writing the book out here.  , but i'm really just posting what i remember from it while it is fresh.  A great read.
Mermaid
Archon

Rate Mermaid

Bite me!

View Profile
Re:Matt Ridley and Paul Ekman.
« Reply #2 on: 2005-04-22 03:19:04 »

fishsuit said: One thing that surprised me is he mentions Desmond Morris without the one theory Desmond gave voice to that had the most to do with sex selection, that the breasts and lips were selected to reflect ass and vulva, respectively.

I believe this theory re lips and vulva was discredited. I dont remember reading about it firsthand, but it did come up in some conversation.

Can someone confirm?
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to: