logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-04-24 05:32:41 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Do you want to know where you stand?

Church of Virus BBS
  Mailing List
  Virus 2003

to the students here
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: to the students here  (Read 3446 times)
Rhysenn
Initiate

Rate Rhysenn

Empress544
View Profile E-Mail
Re:to the students here
« Reply #15 on: 2003-11-28 10:57:54 »

"The fact that high status people have small numbers of children and that you don't need super high status to survive now has not yet sunk into the genes."

I think part of the reason that high status people have fewer children is because they have a better chance of survival. They don't feel the need to have lots of children, since the ones that they do have will most likely survive. In third world countries, by contrast, many children will die young so parents have many more children in hopes that at least some will survive.
Report to moderator   Logged
simul
Adept

Rate simul

I am a lama.
simultaneous zoneediterik
View Profile WWW
Re: virus: Re:to the students here
« Reply #16 on: 2003-11-28 11:54:02 »

The idea of sending my daughter somewhere to boink some rich kid with the hope of marrying her off is repulsive to me.  Although I've heard that this is done.

Education is what's critical.  Our current systen applies no science or reason to education.  There are groups that have learned how to better educate.  They are, generally, shut down by the system.  The last thing the ruling class needs is an educated citizenry.
---
To unsubscribe from the Virus list go to <http://www.lucifer.com/cgi-bin/virus-l>

First, read Bruce Sterling's "Distraction", and then read http://electionmethods.org.
metahuman
Anarch

Rate metahuman

MetaVirian
View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #17 on: 2003-11-28 20:48:14 »

Quote:
Education is what's critical.  Our current systen applies no science or reason to education.  There are groups that have learned how to better educate.  They are, generally, shut down by the system.  The last thing the ruling class needs is an educated citizenry.
Bull.
When I went to high school, this district promoted science education. All this shit about "no science or reason education" in the US system is just that... shit. You read so much about how some district or school is doing this and that in favor of Creationism (mostly Bible Belt schools... typical), and you become jaded. You start thinking the entire system is fucked. It's not. It's just unchallenging and boring. That's why I graduated two years early.
prometheus
Adept

Rate prometheus

Where's the fire?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: 2003-11-28 21:29:41 »

Metahuman;

If you had stopped for a moment and read what you were responding to then you might have seen that simul had written "no science or reason to education".

Perhaps you could spend some time trying to be more thought provoking than provocative in your posts.

Prometheus
simul
Adept

Rate simul

I am a lama.
simultaneous zoneediterik
View Profile WWW
Re: virus: Re:to the students here
« Reply #19 on: 2003-11-28 22:39:14 »

I'm just speaking for myself.  My schooling was pretty lousy, except the stuff we paid for.  My teachers tried hard, and I guess that's what counted, but the system was too bureaucratic, underfunded and regimented for them to have creative programs.
---
To unsubscribe from the Virus list go to <http://www.lucifer.com/cgi-bin/virus-l>

First, read Bruce Sterling's "Distraction", and then read http://electionmethods.org.
ElvenSage
Adept

Rate ElvenSage

Think for yourself, question authority.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2003-11-29 01:32:04 »

My school system banned evolution being tought in school...

Safe from the pain and truth and choice and other poison devils
See.. they don't give a fuck about you, like i do.
Just stay with me, safe and ignorant,
Go back to sleep
Go Back to sleep
metahuman
Anarch

Rate metahuman

MetaVirian
View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #21 on: 2003-11-29 06:20:10 »

[prometheus]
Metahuman;

If you had stopped for a moment and read what you were responding to then you might have seen that simul had written "no science or reason to education".

Perhaps you could spend some time trying to be more thought provoking than provocative in your posts.

Prometheus

[metahuman]
Still bull.

Provocative? Then perhaps you and the others need to learn how not to be insecure.
prometheus
Adept

Rate prometheus

Where's the fire?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: 2003-11-29 09:58:20 »

Quote from: metahuman on 2003-11-29 06:20:10   

[prometheus]
Metahuman;

Prometheus

[metahuman]
Still bull.

Provocative? Then perhaps you and the others need to learn how not to be insecure.

It is not about insecurity. It is about you wasting our time with your knee jerk reactions.

So do you support the claim that education in America is approached in a scientific and rational manner?

Prometheus
Kid-A
Adept

Rate Kid-A

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #23 on: 2003-11-30 17:16:25 »

Quote:
I think part of the reason that high status people have fewer children is because they have a better chance of survival. They don't feel the need to have lots of children, since the ones that they do have will most likely survive. In third world countries, by contrast, many children will die young so parents have many more children in hopes that at least some will survive.

I think you'll find that many people in third world countries have many children, not as a matter of survival, but as a matter of status. In many third world countries it is the equivalent of having a nice car.
Also is some poorer countries, they have many children so that they are looked after in old age.

Kid

You're probably wondering why i'm here, well so am I, so am I.
Rhysenn
Initiate

Rate Rhysenn

Empress544
View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #24 on: 2003-12-01 23:39:45 »

I think you'll find that many people in third world countries have many children, not as a matter of survival, but as a matter of status. In many third world countries it is the equivalent of having a nice car.
Also is some poorer countries, they have many children so that they are looked after in old age.

This may be how they reason, but these are cultural patterns that may have evolved in order for people in these places to want lots of children.

This isn't fact, I'm just speculating.
metahuman
Anarch

Rate metahuman

MetaVirian
View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #25 on: 2003-12-03 12:56:00 »

[prometheus]
Metahuman;

[metahuman]
Still bull.

[prometheus]
It is not about insecurity. It is about you wasting our time with your knee jerk reactions.

[metahuman]
Hrm... That's two stages of emotional insecurity apparent in your response: denial and aggression.

[prometheus]
So do you support the claim that education in America is approached in a scientific and rational manner?

[metahuman]
Yes, I do. Modern education is always approached using the scientific method and we understand the scientific method to be a rational process. However, there are a few anomalies in the system which, unfortunately, we hear more about the system's faults than its features. These anomalies are reported by the National Center for Science Education where they have a single goal in mind: to convince you that all is wrong with public education system and Creationism is taught in every public school in America. As cynical as that definition may be, nevertheless it is true.

If you're curious about the "scientificness" of the American education system, talk to a few professors of Education, read the requirements for a degree in Education, read the syllabuses provided by the professors, and do a bit of research on the things that educators researched in order to form their methods. These things include such subjects as social psychology and psychology.

Educators ask themselves questions like, "How can I effectively teach this subject?" and "How can I help my students succeed in my class without lessening the difficulty of the subject?" Generally, educators are very caring people. It may be just a job to teach others, but most teachers take their job very seriously. Granted, there are a few bad apples here and there, but that's natural as such is with an apple tree.
Pages: 1 [2] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to: