logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-04-24 17:32:31 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Donations now taken through PayPal

Church of Virus BBS
  General
  Church Doctrine

Are there any CoV guidelines for ...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: Are there any CoV guidelines for ...  (Read 1691 times)
Bohandez
Magister

Rate Bohandez

REALITY CHECKS NEVER BOUNCE

View Profile
Are there any CoV guidelines for ...
« on: 2010-08-18 22:46:54 »

... committing a memecide?
... memetic warfare ?

I have some serious issues with myself because of an idea that infected my mind, and I don't know if I should kill it...

The idea demands memecide at a certain level & might get some people upset because of it.

Take care!
Report to moderator   Logged
MoEnzyme
Acolyte

Rate MoEnzyme

infidel lab animal

View Profile WWW
Re:Are there any CoV guidelines for ...
« Reply #1 on: 2010-08-19 15:12:22 »

Quote from: Bohandez on 2010-08-18 22:46:54   

... memetic warfare ?

I have some serious issues with myself because of an idea that infected my mind, and I don't know if I should kill it...

The idea demands memecide at a certain level & might get some people upset because of it.

Take care!

memticide? I don't know how you would really achieve this completely. You might succeed in getting some critical mass of opponents who will regularly respond whenever the irrational idea emerges, you can work to quarantine it from or within your own memespace as it happens, but eradication is quite another issue entirely. I'd deal with counteracting first and eradication later. Just my monkey hunch.
Report to moderator   Logged

I will fight your gods for food,
Mo Enzyme

(consolidation of handles: Jake Sapiens; memelab; logicnazi; Loki; Every1Hz; and Shadow)
Bohandez
Magister

Rate Bohandez

REALITY CHECKS NEVER BOUNCE

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2010-10-22 13:34:33 »

Skip this please
« Last Edit: 2010-12-04 12:38:42 by Bohandez » Report to moderator   Logged
MoEnzyme
Acolyte

Rate MoEnzyme

infidel lab animal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 2010-10-22 16:44:12 »

Quote from: Bohandez on 2010-10-22 13:34:33   

Quote from: MoEnzyme on 2010-08-19 15:12:22   

Quote from: Bohandez on 2010-08-18 22:46:54   
... memetic warfare ?

Take care!

memticide? I don't know how you would really achieve this completely. You might succeed in getting some critical mass of opponents who will regularly respond whenever the irrational idea emerges, you can work to quarantine it from or within your own memespace as it happens, but eradication is quite another issue entirely. I'd deal with counteracting first and eradication later. Just my monkey hunch.

Clarification (2010 - Oct - 19:32) and explanation for my choice of words:
When I meant memecide, I meant cleanup of MY mind (my hardware, my brain, my own sacred self as life _is_ sacred). I have been infected with the idea for God since childhood and tried many times to renounce him/her/it, it hardly works. It is taking me over... When I mean God I mean (god(+s?)) as possibility.

I have been working and thinking very hard, my temporary memory was depleted, my reasoning damaged, my pills are hardly working sometimes (I have bipolar disorder) and my emotions are running wild from mania to depression.

What I understood through the whole ordeal (2 ~ 3 months of idiotic coincidences) is that I have a CoV sin to repair: Hypocrisy (toward the God(+s) issues, towards my personal relationships (friends OR family), towards my place of origin (Bulgaria)), towards my co-workers, towards my own self...

Briefly: Excuse me for my choice of words, I can see how people have issues with written speech for the last 300~400 years (since the invention of the 'dreaded' printing press :-/).
"Dear reader, please replace the word 'memecide' with 'thought contamination chamber' AND DO NOT DO actual harm on ANY PHYSICAL 'hosts'... e.g. Humans (or animals for that matter)... Be aware that speech hurts sometimes)" I forget ALL the time... This is the dreadful consequences of dealing with computers and texts :-/

PS:
Your enzyme is working, but now I _have_ to deal with stuff like black/white magick, magic, Neuro Linguistic Programming, Natural Language Processing, Math, Programming etc etc etc.... And still have to provide phood on my table... If you CoV's want, I will terminate my account here (and if you insist, I will terminate my blog)

Peace be with you... Atheists. I am Agnostic (your right hand if you know what I mean )

The idea that infected my mind is Gnosticism, I will elaborate on these things later:

##############################
#PS(WARNING: Atheistic point of view, if you are a biblical literalist, don't read!):
#The Demiurge (The big bad daddy in the sky)
#Demo-urgos: Demos (People), urgos: (Work), !en-ergos (from? energy/matter)
#Against The Demiurge => (Against the public work) <=> Against Humanity (at least)
#
# Demos-Cratos (People's government)
#
# Numbers, 'spells'
# 1 -> Time
# 2 -> Truth or Falsehood, Male or Female
# 3 -> Conscious, Subconscious, "Heart" (clock: alpha wave, beta wave, delta wave)
# 4 -> Truth, Truth/Falshood, Falsehood/Truth, Falsehood (Basic Qubit? Monkey hunches!)
# 5 -> Fire (Electromagnetism), Water(Strong force), Air (weak force), Earth(Gravity) + Life force!
# 6 -> #3 * 2
# 7 -> Number of the god, my lucky number
# 8 -> Something :-/
# 9 -> Three
# 11<A> -> Lucky
# 12<B> -> Something
# 13<C> -> fate
##############################:~ ends

---Hijacked  from my God module people ---
Thought containment chamber.
---

TODO :-/

Strictly speaking the central tenants of the Church of Virus in terms of the virtues, sins, and saints don't specifically or explicitly compel atheism. We have dealt with that a couple of times in the "Great Faith Wars" whereby we go through the argument of whether the third sin should be faith instead of dogmatism. So far dogmatism continues to win the day, however even many of us arguing or voting for dogmatism are in fact atheists. Personally I lately tend to identify myself as an "infidel" first and foremost, which literally means one without faith whatever specific faith is being discussed, and yet my preference remains in keeping dogmatism as the actual sin.

Frequently the concepts mean the same thing, but sometimes they don't. Dogmatism is a bit narrower and more precise in terms of what is cognitively going on an individual's brain/consciousness, whereas faith tends to refer more generally to greater cultural constructions which may often involve dogmatic thinking on the part of some individuals, but sometimes simply refer to their cultural circumstances.

As for god thingies - at a basic level they are resilient primarily because they are anthropomorphisms - a metaphor by which we seek to explain other phenomenon in primarly terms of what we know about ourselves. Its possibly one of the most natural things our brains can do. Indeed our capacity for metaphor is probably the origin of our capacity to think abstractly, and anthropomorphism probably provides the developmental seed for virtue of empathy. This is how we are even able to "put ourselves in someone else's shoes" as we often describe empathy.

I therefore think it's probably impossible to eradicate anthropomorphic thinking from you brain entirely, and I think you wouldn't really want to if you understand all the consequences of that. That is where reason (critical rationalism), and vision (putting things in context of the larger picture) are important to counterbalance the potentially irrational excesses of anthropomorphic thinking. And on the sinful balance, that is where we avoid dogmatism (holding faith as a virtue, for example), and hypocrisy (advocating rules of faith we don't actually follow ourselves).

That's my basic reckoning. The virtues and sins are simply the best ways we know to describe the concerns and reckoning of a consciously functioning individual - the essence of consiousness. My contention is that people come to these realizations not as a starting point, but in the middle of things. Mostly we just let our brains do the things they do until we run into problems, or we gain the curiosity to more consciously figure things out. That's where we encounter the problem of apathy. Why should you care? If you do then the rest of the conversation continues. If not you just keep having the same problems, or you lack the understanding you could otherwise enjoy in following your curiosity.

The saints are another conversation, but as we decide them derivatively from the virtues and sins they can provide some cultural landmarks for understanding. This message is getting longer, so I'll close here for now with these final thoughts - don't agonize so much about your cultural origins. You can take your time in deciding what parts to embrace or release as you apply the virtues/sins for yourself. Whether your personal style is gnostic, agnostic, atheist, infidel, or something else isn't so fundamental as your consciousness regarding it.

ps. thanks for sharing. It helps me clarify my own thinking, and I know that you are working with a secondary language for you, so I'm appreciative of that fact.
« Last Edit: 2010-10-22 16:48:00 by MoEnzyme » Report to moderator   Logged

I will fight your gods for food,
Mo Enzyme

(consolidation of handles: Jake Sapiens; memelab; logicnazi; Loki; Every1Hz; and Shadow)
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to: