logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-04-18 16:54:42 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Check out the IRC chat feature.

Church of Virus BBS
  General
  Church Doctrine

We’re All Born Atheists - A Religious Person Defends Non-Belief.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: We’re All Born Atheists - A Religious Person Defends Non-Belief.  (Read 1657 times)
MoEnzyme
Acolyte

Rate MoEnzyme

infidel lab animal

View Profile WWW
We’re All Born Atheists - A Religious Person Defends Non-Belief.
« on: 2010-06-18 18:16:35 »

Later in his article this guy mentions his work with Unitarian Universalism. Having been raised UU myself I appreciated the PoV. Although UU has Protestant origins, many other Christians do not consider them Christian, and indeed many UU's do not consider themselves Christians either. Every UU church I've ever attended always seems to include several openly atheist members, who are very comfortably viewed by the rest of the membership as "one of us" - I've even known atheist and agnostic UU ministers.

“We’re All Born Atheists”: A Religious Person Defends Non-Belief
Posted by Tikkun Daily at 1:21 pm
June 16, 2010

Quote:
Being an atheist in America means being less than human. I know from personal experience, not from being an atheist but from being raised Christian in a conservative Christian town and holding negative biases about atheists. Like many others I thought that a belief in God was the foundation of morality, that Christians were superior to others and that atheists were a threat to believers. I didn’t, however, reach this conclusion consciously after weighing the facts and examining the issue independently. But rather it was something so ingrained within the culture that it permeated the social conscience. And of course atheists were just one group among many targeted by some Christians. But for several years now there have been movements both religious and secular that have championed the rights of other marginalized groups such as gays, people of color and women. Now it’s time for religious and spiritual people to take a stand for non-believers of all varieties.

full article:http://blogs.alternet.org/speakeasy/2010/06/16/atheists-are-beautiful-a-religious-person-defends-atheism/
Report to moderator   Logged

I will fight your gods for food,
Mo Enzyme

(consolidation of handles: Jake Sapiens; memelab; logicnazi; Loki; Every1Hz; and Shadow)
MoEnzyme
Acolyte

Rate MoEnzyme

infidel lab animal

View Profile WWW
Re:We’re All Born Atheists - A Religious Person Defends Non-Belief.
« Reply #1 on: 2010-06-18 19:13:07 »

In the article he mentions how the number of self-identified atheists has grown so much lately. I causes me to wonder if it isn't at least somewhat in context of 9-11 and the catastrophic "war on terror" response the overtly Christian US administration took. I think people almost implicitly assume that the roots of all of those tragedies lie in religious thinking and conflicts of all stripes. I was certainly a bit godless myself before all that took place, but I notice how I've become many many times more critical of the follies of religion than I ever was before these things came to pass. Before I was a bit less enthusiastic about these "new atheists" like Dawkins, Hitchens etc. but now I feel quite supportive of them. I think they've managed to connect with some rapidly growing extremely critical anti-religious elements in the western population who are not going away any time soon. If someone had told me about this ten years ago, I'd have thought they were a bit high or out of touch with reality.

-Mo

Mo Enzyme

(consolidation of handles: Jake Sapiens; memelab; logicnazi; Loki; Every1Hz; and Shadow)
David Lucifer
Archon

Rate David Lucifer

Enlighten me.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #2 on: 2010-06-18 20:02:33 »

Quote from: MoEnzyme on 2010-06-18 19:13:07   

In the article he mentions how the number of self-identified atheists has grown so much lately. I causes me to wonder if it isn't at least somewhat in context of 9-11 and the catastrophic "war on terror" response the overtly Christian US administration took.

The aftermath of 9/11 was almost certainly a significant factor in the writing, publication, and subsequent popularity of the books of the Four Horsemen. This in turn led to a veritable outing campaign for atheists, even an explicit one.
MoEnzyme
Acolyte

Rate MoEnzyme

infidel lab animal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 2010-06-18 20:38:05 »

I do remain ever more committed to "dogmatism" as the actual sin and not "faith", in the ever Greater Faith Wars, on grounds of simple accuracy. Those happened before 9-11 but even post 9-11 it still makes sense. Other than that, I've accumulated nothing but contempt for political religion of all stripes since.

-Mo "I Will fight your gods for food"
« Last Edit: 2010-06-18 20:39:20 by MoEnzyme » Report to moderator   Logged

Mo Enzyme

MoEnzyme
Acolyte

Rate MoEnzyme

infidel lab animal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: 2010-06-18 21:06:07 »

I guess it wouldn't really be so interesting for some of us to "come out" of the closet as atheists when we already have been out to our families from the beginning. We just have lived in a larger society where we and our families know how much ill will being blasphemous can earn you. All that given I support the blasphemy challenge as well as the Draw Muhammed Day. If we can't protect blasphemy then we can't really protect anything as far as I'm concerned. And sure if you just wanna "come out" as an atheist that's fine too.

Mo Enzyme

MoEnzyme
Acolyte

Rate MoEnzyme

infidel lab animal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 2010-07-06 09:59:49 »

Here's a video I found on point with this discussion. ZJ counters the claim by Ron Rosenbaum that atheists - like religious people - have faith and that only agnostics lack faith.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5Tn4w04KOY

Rosenbaum's article which ZJ was responding to: http://www.slate.com/id/2258484/pagenum/all/

Concurrent with ZJ's points, one of his text reply comments on facebook (David Parkes) made this good summarizing point:

Do you believe in the tooth fairy?
YES = Theist (you believe).
NO = Atheist (you don't believe).

Do you know if the tooth fairy exits?
YES = gnostic (we are able to conclusively know this)
NO = agnostic (we not able to conclusively know this)

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/ZJemptv

Rosenbaum misses the point of faith (belief) that it doesn't really depend on actual knowledge (evidence). Hence a person can consistently hold any combination of answers on these two issues. So we can have people who are gnostic atheists, agnostic atheists, gnostic theists, or agnostic theists.
 scarlet_A.png
« Last Edit: 2010-07-06 10:45:25 by MoEnzyme »

Mo Enzyme

Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to: