logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-04-25 16:52:10 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Check out the IRC chat feature.

Church of Virus BBS
  General
  Church Doctrine

My Abstention on Alan Turing
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: My Abstention on Alan Turing  (Read 4027 times)
Hermit
Archon

Rate Hermit

Prime example of a practically perfect person

View Profile WWW
My Abstention on Alan Turing
« on: 2010-02-25 07:34:36 »

As reflected in parallel threads, MoEnzyme has asserted that a vote for Turing forces the CoV to take a stance on Homosexuality and refuses to discuss it. He has deleted posts reducing the discussion to a farce, engaged in ad hominem against multiple people and acknowledges gaming the reputation system. Sat has acknowledged instigating some of this behaviour in order to satisfy his curiosity.

In my opinion, this should have prevented this vote from being opened and prevents me from supporting such a vote or being a party to an organization where members can act on such a basis with impunity.

Report to moderator   Logged

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion. - Steven Weinberg, 1999
Mermaid
Archon

Rate Mermaid

Bite me!

View Profile
Re:My Abstention on Alan Turing
« Reply #1 on: 2010-02-25 21:49:04 »

i abstained too.

shame.
MoEnzyme
Acolyte

Rate MoEnzyme

infidel lab animal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 2010-03-04 12:54:52 »

Hermit,

I'll count that as improvement. I reflect that in my current Meridion "3" rating of you (up from one). I see you still smite me at 1. I am unsurprised. I reflect that while humorous/entertaining to watch, it does make slightly more sense to take your anger out on me directly that way, rather than getting either angry or apathetic about Alan Turing. whatever. Baby steps. focus. etc.

Love,

-Mo :::blows Hermit a kiss:::

ps - re Hermit: "He has deleted posts reducing the discussion to a farce, engaged in ad hominem against multiple people"

Mo: ad hominem or not, we all know that "multiple people"= Hermit + Mermaid as you two are the only ones championing this complaint against me. Both Blunderov and Fritz have joined in me in my evil voting conspiracy and they were the only other participants in my "farce". Your indirect and vague aggrieved second and third "people" plural tense makes you sound a bit absurd. Do you feel like a village now, or are there just more voices in your head lately?
« Last Edit: 2010-03-04 15:45:22 by MoEnzyme » Report to moderator   Logged

I will fight your gods for food,
Mo Enzyme

(consolidation of handles: Jake Sapiens; memelab; logicnazi; Loki; Every1Hz; and Shadow)
MoEnzyme
Acolyte

Rate MoEnzyme

infidel lab animal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 2010-03-07 18:25:27 »

Hermit,

I would note that none of these facts prevented you from both participating and taking that initial ridiculous stand AGAINST Alan Turing sainthood. Not that I'm complaining about your abandonment of that position, mind you, but to now back up and complain of things you enthusiastically participated in at one point would be to ask us to pardon you for acting rashly. Not that I wouldn't like dozens of such pardons myself mind you, but I just wanted to clarify what your current procedural objections amount to.

There is no rush on this of course, no need for something else rash, but I really think you can vote for and support Alan Turing as our third saint. You did so unreservedly at one point, and so I know you can do it again. Its not like you'd be going back on your word or anything, but rather like confirming your better first decision. I'm not going to even ask Mermaid, because I think she's a lost cause for so many more reasons unworthy of discussion, but I think at least you can find some sense here.

-Mo

ps. I would further point out that we both agree that Lucifer's wiki better reflects your position rather than mine, so I don't think we should be complaining about Lucifer taking the initiative here, but rather thanking him for it. I mean if you would RATHER me write some wiki, I think I'm up to it by now, but don't be silly.

pps. and you still have plenty of time to have influence on the final product. If you think Lucifer's wiki leaves something out, or needs editing, its an open field. I think I made it clear several times, I'm not participating in the wiki on this particular vote. If there is anything keeping you from feeling comfortable in your support, you've got every opportunity to address it in our wiki without involving me at all.
« Last Edit: 2010-03-07 18:45:05 by MoEnzyme » Report to moderator   Logged

Mo Enzyme

(consolidation of handles: Jake Sapiens; memelab; logicnazi; Loki; Every1Hz; and Shadow)
MoEnzyme
Acolyte

Rate MoEnzyme

infidel lab animal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: 2010-03-07 19:10:35 »

On a more serious note, if I were to imagine Hermit making some contribution to our CoV wiki, here is what I would imagine it to be. To add something to Lucifer's wiki that deals with Alan Turing's conviction, chemical "castration", and apparently resulting suicide, along with any other relevant facts thereof in a way that Hermit finds appropriate for CoV purposes. I'm not actually advocating that edit. I personally favor Lucifer's wiki as it is and his words carry my vote in this process, but since nothing I had to say on that particular issue was ever acceptable to you I'd be at least curious to see how you would handle it.

Seriously I think there are millions of other stories about Alan Turing that aren't in the wiki either . . . like how he was de facto the first high level intelligence liason between the US and the UK in re: to his work on the Enigma code. He was an outstanding amateur athlete of olympian quality. And so on. But certainly one can't ignore the things in that paragraph above and even begin to scratch the surface of all that was Alan Turing. I'm really in favor of leaving that all an open book for each member of CoV to address in their own ways, but nobody can reasonably pretend to ignore these things. I think that's about as succinct a statement of my positions as you are going to get at this point, Hermit. Quite frankly I'm still reading new stuff about Alan Turing every day if I can help it so, I'm still learning. I hope that helps you.

-Mo

« Last Edit: 2010-03-08 09:02:04 by MoEnzyme » Report to moderator   Logged

Mo Enzyme

MoEnzyme
Acolyte

Rate MoEnzyme

infidel lab animal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 2010-03-08 09:02:49 »

on a related note some entertainment . . . four American men trying to come to terms with their homophobia in the woods at night. Just add guns.

Gay By Dawn!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BwnCzpc4io

Mo Enzyme

MoEnzyme
Acolyte

Rate MoEnzyme

infidel lab animal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: 2010-03-26 10:05:26 »

thread unlocked for 7 days (at least).

http://www.churchofvirus.org/bbs/index.php?board=4;action=display;threadid=43266;start=15

-Mo

Mo Enzyme

MoEnzyme
Acolyte

Rate MoEnzyme

infidel lab animal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: 2010-03-28 18:42:29 »

I will respond to any issues raised by this thread, here ---> http://www.churchofvirus.org/bbs/index.php?board=4;action=display;threadid=43266

I have nothing more to say on Hermit's "My Abstention on Alan Turing" thread, and will no longer post here.

Mo Enzyme

MoEnzyme
Acolyte

Rate MoEnzyme

infidel lab animal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: 2011-02-18 10:48:16 »

Post-Mortem note: I've created a thread in the "Free For All" section to address any further possible issues regarding Hermit's and Mermaid's complaints and/or opposition to the 2010 illumination of Alan Turing as the third Church of Virus saint instead of cluttering up threads in the Doctrine section. The doctrine is settled, so any more post mortems belong in the free for all thread http://www.churchofvirus.org/bbs/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=43681;start=0;boardseen=1

Mo Enzyme

Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to: