logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-04-20 00:27:56 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Open for business: The CoV Store!

Church of Virus BBS
  General
  Church Doctrine

CoV citations
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: CoV citations  (Read 995 times)
MoEnzyme
Acolyte

Rate MoEnzyme

infidel lab animal

View Profile WWW
CoV citations
« on: 2008-12-21 04:23:44 »

We had a pretty extensive case of plagiarism within the last few years, where several participants in another forum crossposted from some Church of the Virus threads. Apparently Hermit was a favorite one to plagiarize, but this effort involved whole conversations involving myself and every active members at that moment. It was a strange case to me, to read my exact words getting unexpectedly spat out into another forum through an identity/account I had no control over with no attribution to me. At first many of us were a bit surprised, and so became a bit grumpy like the silverbacks we imagine ourselves to be.

However, I noticed that ultimately none of us felt inspired to carry through on our now obviously empty threats. And indeed some others of us began to wonder if we shouldn't welcome such mimicry, we being so interested in memetics. And now I begin to see that side of the issue as well. Although testosterone grumpiness may have been expected, in the long haul we really should have felt a bit flattered. Especially if this memetics thing means anything at all.

Well, be that as it may, even without our interference, the issue of plagiarism still came up in another forum regarding this same behavior. And while we do feel flattered, I think we in the Church need to remain insistent on getting a link and citation if you wish to borrow. Indeed, I think many of us would appreciate being able to actually read the input their work gets from others even if it is through an intermediary. It seems to me that some principles of coherence ought to apply here.

And finally, we don't want to seem complicit in your plagiarism if it really seems to matter in another forum, which in this particular case it seemed to. Really I don't care by what creative method one makes such acknowledgements and connections, and indeed as long as I hear your genuine voice in the process, I'll be happy to credit the words to you as well. Anyway, I don't expect the Church to get terribly agressive in this issue, however I expect that we will notice and remember what you do with the content you find here. It seems to already be in our history, and now inevitable that various internet searches can find you anyway, so why not just be honest about it? Beyond that caveat, I say carry on, just remember to leave those bread crumbs around. Like cookies and everything else, they lubricate the inter nets. Almost a communal thing that way, I think you'll discover.

seriously,

-Mo

PS, I could even imagine a general disclaimer in one's profile that some conversations may be borrowed from CoV linking it there instead of every message. Just be polite enough to leave a trail of bread crumbs, please.

PPS. I don't presume to speak for other individuals on here. So if others wish to reserve their rights to sue, I have no say in that. I'm only speaking for myself, although I wouldn't be surprised if other's feel likewise.
« Last Edit: 2008-12-21 04:41:18 by MoEnzyme » Report to moderator   Logged

I will fight your gods for food,
Mo Enzyme

(consolidation of handles: Jake Sapiens; memelab; logicnazi; Loki; Every1Hz; and Shadow)
Mermaid
Archon

Rate Mermaid

Bite me!

View Profile
Re:CoV citations
« Reply #1 on: 2008-12-22 00:57:52 »

link?
Report to moderator   Logged
MoEnzyme
Acolyte

Rate MoEnzyme

infidel lab animal

View Profile WWW
Re:CoV citations
« Reply #2 on: 2010-01-30 16:54:55 »

Nevermind.

I've changed my mind. I was mostly concerned about the deceptive nature of the postings, however strange. They were tossed in as if filler content, and yet it seemed that Sasquatch was also interacting content wise somewhat, though it wasn't in a very engaged sort of way. He did get somewhat concerned when his deception was discovered, apparently he was already on some other people's shit lists for plagiarisms and/or copyright abuses. I think some of it is over there on the Final Fantasy Forum in their archives, but its all ancient history now, deep in the archives somewhere are some strings of plagiarisms taken from us without reference, although I'm sure the proper text string search would reveal them. Its only a curiosity now. 
Report to moderator   Logged

I will fight your gods for food,
Mo Enzyme

(consolidation of handles: Jake Sapiens; memelab; logicnazi; Loki; Every1Hz; and Shadow)
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to: