logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-04-19 18:37:39 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Donations now taken through PayPal

Church of Virus BBS
  General
  Church Doctrine

HYPOCRISY
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: HYPOCRISY  (Read 1883 times)
Belial
Neophyte

I'm a llama!

View Profile
HYPOCRISY
« on: 2006-07-07 11:12:39 »

[[ author reputation (0.00) beneath threshold (3)... display message ]]

Report to moderator   Logged
ifort
Acolyte

Rate ifort

I'm a llama!

View Profile
Re:HYPOCRISY
« Reply #1 on: 2006-12-01 13:26:09 »

As far as I've discerned, this is suposed to be partly an absurdist religion, so it's not suprising it is somewhat absurd.

Spread virulent skepticism.
Blunderov
Archon

Rate Blunderov

"We think in generalities, we live in details"

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #2 on: 2006-12-01 14:43:39 »

Quote from: ifort on 2006-12-01 13:26:09   
As far as I've discerned, this is suposed to be partly an absurdist religion, so it's not suprising it is somewhat absurd.

[Blunderov] True, religion is usually understood to involve a large dolop of faith which is not wildly popular in these parts and rightly so.

I prefer the archaic meaning of religion in our CoV context; that of "discipline".

[Merriam Webster]
"Religion:...
...perhaps from religare to restrain, tie back...
...archaic: scrupulous conformity : conscientiousness"

In this sense it is perfectly possible to be, for instance, a religious atheist!
« Last Edit: 2006-12-01 14:45:31 by Blunderov » Report to moderator   Logged
Fox
Archon

Rate Fox

Never underestimate the odds.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006-12-01 15:33:33 »

Hello again to the CoV and fellow Virians.

Some of the things said here rather perplex me...

Quote from: Belial on 2006-07-07 11:12:39   
Reading your "Lexicon", I discovered something very strange..... the same concepts and ideologys presented here are the same "memes" that other religions use to "infect" the masses

The same memes? Are you sure that you actually read the CoV Lexicon?

The CoV Lexicon is (memetically) vastly different in comparison to the more irrational religious text, and I would even say vastly superior. Which memes from the Lexicon do you actually think are the same as the other religions? whilst also taking into account that most other religions are vastly dependent on faith, while the CoV is not, but instead holds to reason, thus defining both our individuality and our rationality.

........its kind of like Jesus telling you that you are not real......

Firstly, relying on the mythical figure of an irrational religion is a poor example to say the lest if your trying to make a point of example here.

Secondly, I don’t get how you came to the conclusion of using this example, are you suggesting that the CoV is telling people that they are not real?

Why point out the exploits of "memes" if you intend to use them yourselfs ?

Memes, like everything else in this world can be used and exploited for better or for worse, rationally and irrationally. Everyone uses and is subject to memes at some point in their lives. What sets the value of those memes is what memes they are and how, and in what manner, they are passed from host to host. Memes are effective not only in religions, but also in many other fields. They are, in a sense quite inevitable. Some memes are irrational (bad for you) whilst others are rational (good for you), the CoV, vai the three Virian virtues, exploits irrational memes and promotes rational ones for a healthier ones without the need to rely on unfounded, delusional, illogical or unreasonable beliefs or ideals.

You seem to be claiming quite a lot here without giving any explanation for what you have discerned, or, to how exactly you came to this conclusion. Would you care to elucidate on your assertion?

Perhaps you should question before you lay down a claim of absurdity, because it appears to me that you have taken little time to actually read or study the CoV, let alone comprehend it.

On a completly different note I just realized that my reputation now stands at 6.66, teh hee.

Fox
(with his little pitchfork and horns)

« Last Edit: 2006-12-01 15:47:11 by White Fox » Report to moderator   Logged

I've never expected a miracle. I will get things done myself. - Gatsu
Hermit
Archon

Rate Hermit

Prime example of a practically perfect person

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: 2006-12-01 16:09:10 »

Virians tend to think that we are different from conventional (Irrational) religions.

Please refer:
[Church of Virus BBS, General, FAQ, "FAQ: Is the Church of Virus a Religion"]. You may also find [Church of Virus BBS, General, FAQ, FAQ: Is the CoV a cult?] helpful.

Note that a Virian is simply "someone who uses rational cognition to recognize, create, host, and propagate successful and beneficial memes."  I think that most Virians would say that becoming a Virian should be an intellectual, not an emotional choice, although it is true that many Virians develop emotional ties with the like-minded people they have discovered through our forums. Attempts to proselytize are, so far as I am aware, limited to cross-posting explanations and links referring potential members to our forums, as well perhaps, in so far as this can be called proselytizing, through living and advocating our Virian Virtues.

I suggest that most Virians would advocate developing an understand of the "concepts and ideologys [Hermit: sic]"  used to "infect the masses" (even if only as an "inoculation strategy"), while carefully noting that our considered ethical opinion tends towards only "feeding the hungry." In other words, the Church of Virus does not formally attempt to "infect" others. In so far as we are, like any religion, memetically propagated, this is therefore limited to those already seeking what little collective wisdom, or even carnival spirit, may be gathered in our various forums, but we choose to make this explicit. To cite (from memory so possibly non-literally) our First Host, "Call it our contribution to truth in advertising." Going further, the Church of Virus asks neither for belief nor acceptance, but rather, our virtues demand your pancritical hypothetico-deductive skepticism about everything - including anything you may learn from the Church of Virus.

Welcome to our forums. Feel free to ask for help or even to challenge our assumptions (though I recommend doing so politely). Don't accept anything without a thorough examination, irrespective of the price or lack of it.

Regards

Hermit
« Last Edit: 2006-12-01 18:23:57 by Hermit » Report to moderator   Logged

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion. - Steven Weinberg, 1999
ifort
Acolyte

Rate ifort

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2007-01-01 17:43:52 »

Quote from: White Fox on 2006-12-01 15:33:33   

You seem to be claiming quite a lot here without giving any explanation for what you have discerned, or, to how exactly you came to this conclusion. Would you care to elucidate on your assertion?

Perhaps you should question before you lay down a claim of absurdity, because it appears to me that you have taken little time to actually read or study the CoV, let alone comprehend it.
Simple. Some of the basic claims of Virianism come close to the claims of absurdism.

"Absurdism is a philosophy stating that the efforts of humanity to find meaning in the universe will ultimately fail because no such meaning exists (at least in relation to humanity)." - Wikipedia.

Now, it may not be very close to the historical absurdism, but it does seem to have some touching points.

Spread virulent skepticism.
David Lucifer
Archon

Rate David Lucifer

Enlighten me.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #6 on: 2007-01-07 15:56:23 »

Quote from: ifort on 2007-01-01 17:43:52   

"Absurdism is a philosophy stating that the efforts of humanity to find meaning in the universe will ultimately fail because no such meaning exists (at least in relation to humanity)." - Wikipedia.

Now, it may not be very close to the historical absurdism, but it does seem to have some touching points.

I don't recognize anything like absurdism in the CoV. We believe that meaning is created by sentient entities.
Fox
Archon

Rate Fox

Never underestimate the odds.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2007-01-08 18:18:40 »

Quote from: ifort on 2007-01-01 17:43:52   
Simple. Some of the basic claims of Virianism come close to the claims of absurdism.

I still do not understand on how you have come to this conclusion. Like I suggested before, if you researched this site a little more attentivly you may have come across this:

Quote:
What does it all mean?
Things mean what they cause. The meaning of life in general is in the effects of life. The meaning of your life in particular is the sum total of how your existence has changed reality by influencing, directly or indirectly, the world and people around you. 

And this:

Quote:
What should I do?
The most important thing to learn is how to think critically. Constantly question your beliefs, avoid inconsistency, and act rationally. Create a meaningful life by influencing the world around you. (See the Virian sins and virtues.) 

The above two exscripts were taken from (http://www.churchofvirus.org/answers.html) the Answers to Big Questions page.

So claiming here that the CoV involves a philosophy which states (as you put it) "the efforts of humanity to find meaning in the universe will ultimately fail because no such meaning exists (at least in relation to humanity)" is in error and hardly applicable to the above Virian ways.

I also have David Lucifer to back this up, as he already has
« Last Edit: 2007-01-08 18:24:00 by White Fox » Report to moderator   Logged

I've never expected a miracle. I will get things done myself. - Gatsu
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to: