logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-03-28 09:35:20 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Donations now taken through PayPal

Church of Virus BBS
  General
  Church Doctrine

new vote: same sex marriage
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: new vote: same sex marriage  (Read 9001 times)
David Lucifer
Archon

Rate David Lucifer

Enlighten me.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
new vote: same sex marriage
« on: 2005-01-06 12:10:23 »

Do you think that the marriage of same-sex couples should be given equal recognition, status and rights by society? Vote here.
« Last Edit: 2005-01-06 12:10:55 by David Lucifer » Report to moderator   Logged
kholdun
Neophyte

Recruiting Memes

View Profile WWW
Re:new vote: same sex marriage
« Reply #1 on: 2006-04-12 18:16:42 »

[[ author reputation (0.00) beneath threshold (3)... display message ]]

Report to moderator   Logged

Kholdun
Hermit
Archon

Rate Hermit

Prime example of a practically perfect person

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 2006-05-13 12:03:03 »

All "marriages" are effectively religious or social institutions and should not involve the government or vice versa. Neither the consent nor the approval of others should be needed to establish whatever relationships consenting people wish to establish.

Civil and contract law is sufficient to permit and protect individuals while they establish their own norms.

So the whole issue should be moot. The only reason it is not, is because some Mother Grundies (of all possible sexes) haven't got the smarts to figure out that just because their mothers told them that something was good or bad is no reason for them to accept it as an absolute - and even less reason for them to project it onto others.

Hermit

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion. - Steven Weinberg, 1999
Ford
Initiate

Rate Ford

if you're not doing anything, do anything

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 2006-11-13 11:28:52 »

I agree with the post before mine, however I think that in American society a gay couple is still in need of one protection they lack. If one's spouse dies the other has no say in the funeral, estate, etc... an heterosexual couple has that power, that privilege. In some states there are tax breaks for married couples. Issues of such a nature need to be dealt with.

Everything is absurd.
ifort
Acolyte

Rate ifort

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006-12-01 13:23:02 »

IMO, marriage has no redeeming value.

Spread virulent skepticism.
Blunderov
Archon

Rate Blunderov

"We think in generalities, we live in details"

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #5 on: 2006-12-02 03:40:37 »

Quote from: ifort on 2006-12-01 13:23:02   

IMO, marriage has no redeeming value.

[Blunderov] I'm sure that there are a great many people who would agree with either side of this proposition - on alternate days!

ComradeSmack
Initiate

Rate ComradeSmack

Only the Educated are Free

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #6 on: 2007-01-25 15:48:48 »

This is an argument that I've actually just had recently on a different forum.  I won't just link you or copy/paste, however.

My beliefs on Gay Marriage stem from a few things that first need to be agreed on as evident.

1)  Marriage is a Religious Fabrication, and is different from a Civil Union of the State (United States of America, for sake of argument)  The terminology is interchangeable, however.
2)  A Marriage is between Two Consenting Adults.  (This is what forbids Polygamy, Forced Marriages, as well as Children Getting Married)
3)  In the United States, we all are created equal and are all entitled to the pursuit of Happiness, assuming that it doesn't infringe on any else's pursuit of happiness.
4) Separation of Church and State, where "Church" is the Homo/Xenophobic sect known as Christianity.

If all of these are agreed upon, I see no reason for disallowing the legal binding of two individuals regardless of all genders.

As far as the Law is (should be) concerned is whether or not you are harming anyone.  You are not.

Sanctity of Marriage?  Two Hour Celebrity Weddings are legal, where is the sanctity there?

Scientia Potentia Est
Blunderov
Archon

Rate Blunderov

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #7 on: 2007-01-25 18:28:48 »

Quote from: ComradeSmack on 2007-01-25 15:48:48   

...If all of these are agreed upon, I see no reason for disallowing the legal binding of two individuals regardless of all genders...

[Blunderov] Welcome ComradeSmack. I agree with your views on the subject of gay marriage completely. If gay people insist on being as miserable as the rest of humanity who are we to stand in their way?

(I'm joking really. I think marriage can have much to recommend it. Though, as in much else about life, it helps to be lucky.)

Best regards.
Walter Watts
Archon

Rate Walter Watts

Just when I thought I was out-they pull me back in

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #8 on: 2007-01-26 00:18:16 »

Quote from: Hermit on 2006-05-13 12:03:03   

All "marriages" are effectively religious or social institutions and should not involve the government or vice versa. Neither the consent nor the approval of others should be needed to establish whatever relationships consenting people wish to establish.

Civil and contract law is sufficient to permit and protect individuals while they establish their own norms.

So the whole issue should be moot. The only reason it is not, is because some Mother Grundies (of all possible sexes) haven't got the smarts to figure out that just because their mothers told them that something was good or bad is no reason for them to accept it as an absolute - and even less reason for them to project it onto others.

Hermit

OK. I give up.

WTF is a Mother Grundy?

Not that I need to know that to grok your point, which is right on as usual, but I'm just the curious type.

;)

Walter

Walter Watts
Tulsa Network Solutions, Inc.

No one gets to see the Wizard! Not nobody! Not no how!
Walter Watts
Archon

Rate Walter Watts

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #9 on: 2007-01-26 00:27:58 »

Quote from: David Lucifer on 2005-01-06 12:10:23   

Do you think that the marriage of same-sex couples should be given equal recognition, status and rights by society? Vote here.

yes
When I marry Sat I want to make sure I get his linux box legally after he dies accidentally.

WW

Walter Watts

Blunderov
Archon

Rate Blunderov

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #10 on: 2007-01-26 01:55:46 »

Quote from: Walter Watts on 2007-01-26 00:18:16   

OK. I give up.

WTF is a Mother Grundy?

[Blunderov] Intriguing question the answer to which was not readily available on the net. Britannica had the answer though:

<snip>
Grundy, Mrs.

imaginary English character who typifies the censorship enacted in everyday life by conventional opinion. She first appears (but never onstage) in Thomas Morton's play Speed the Plough (produced 1798), in which one character, Dame Ashfield, continually worries about what her neighbour Mrs. Grundy will say of each development. Since then the term Mrs. Grundy has passed into everyday speech as a criterion of rigid respectability.

"Grundy, Mrs.."Encyclopędia Britannica. 2007. Encyclopędia Britannica 2006 Ultimate Reference Suite DVD"</snip>

[Bl.] Not to be confused with another formidable obstacle:

http://www.mothergrundy.org/

Who is Mother Grundy?

Actually she isn't a person, she is a mountain that stands across the valley from Padre Grande; her real name is Madre Grande. There is a road - Mother Grundy Truck Trail - that roughly (very roughly, in places) skirts her on two sides, and hence the name of the area.

Walter Watts
Archon

Rate Walter Watts

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #11 on: 2007-01-26 02:07:25 »

Thank you kind sir.

I looked, but apparently caved in too quickly.

It's an age thing me thunks 

Best to you,
Walter

Walter Watts

Gods Imaginary ...
Acolyte

Rate Gods Imaginary ...

Know Thyself

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2007-01-26 06:20:47 »

I'm sure a lot of people in this community would have already read this one... but all the same

"A Gullop poll taken in 1999 asked Americans whether they would vote for an otherwise well-qualified person who was a woman (95% would), Roman Catholic (94%), Jew (92%), black (92%), Mormon (79%), homosexual (79%) or atheist (49%)." - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion.

I'm surprised we are allowed to get married.
deusdiabolus
Initiate

Rate deusdiabolus

NEVER underestimate monkey!
641785 641785    deusdiabolus deusdiabolus
View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: 2007-02-03 14:51:04 »

They should either approve marriage for all consenting couples of legal age or make divorce illegal worldwide.

my WR0N9 is LEGEND
Bass
Magister

Rate Bass

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2007-09-06 23:48:13 »

I, myself, do not mind what gay people do in their spare time so long as it does not involve me. However if a couple decides to have kids, whether through adoption or by any other means, I don't think that would be a good idea. Parents and guardians have a tendency to try and instill some of their own beliefs and scrupels to the ones that they are raising.

If your friend wants to adopt a kid but wants the kid to grow up to be his own person then that is fine. However, being raised in a gay family might make the child gay when he gets older. Maybe he would've turned out that way anyways even if he was raised in a straight household. But then again, maybe not. 

For example: My ex-girlfriend wasn't born bisexual. She had an experience with a friend and therefore started to like girls as well. So I find it hard to believe that anyone is born gay.

Life is a subjective experience. Since I am not homosexual, then the decision doesn't lie with me. However, the word "marriage" does involve me in the slightest. But once again, a mere battle of semantics. The definition of marriage as originally described as a union of a man and woman stands. Changing the definition to broaden it is, albeit untraditional in the highest sense. But as we are the makers of manners, it matters very little.

Those who value tradition, can pet themselves on the head and reassure themselves that they have a 'true' marriage as described originally. In the end, it righteously makes very little difference. All over the tradition. The results are having to take the gay community seriously. Which many people will never be prepared to do.

If it happens, then I am likely to ignore it as I do most affairs that are not my concern. If it doesn't happen, then it soon will.

Bass

Pages: [1] 2 3 Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to: