logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-04-24 18:02:55 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Do you want to know where you stand?

Church of Virus BBS
  General
  Church Doctrine

God is not dead yet
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: God is not dead yet  (Read 2431 times)
the.bricoleur
Archon

Rate the.bricoleur

making sense of change

View Profile E-Mail
God is not dead yet
« on: 2004-11-09 09:46:53 »

God is not dead yet

Times Higher Education Supllement

Alister McGrath
Published: 22 October 2004

Atheism is in trouble and Richard Dawkins, its champion, is not helping,
writes Alister McGrath

Is atheism losing its appeal? At first sight, this might seem an absurd
question. After all, leading atheist Richard Dawkins recently topped
Prospect magazine's poll of public intellectuals, while Jonathan Miller's
heavily promoted BBC4 series A Brief History of Disbelief started its run
last week, proclaiming that atheism is the wisdom of our age. Only fools and
charlatans, it seems, would dare to disagree.

We have heard all this before, of course. For more than a century, leading
sociologists, anthropologists and psychologists have declared that their
children - or surely their grandchildren - would live to see the dawn of a
new era in which the illusions of religion would be outgrown. Yet there are
ominous straws in the wind suggesting that now it is atheism that is in
trouble.

Atheism, once seen as Western culture's hot date with the future, is losing
its appeal. Its confident predictions of the demise of religion seem
hopelessly out of place.

Celebrity preoccupation with the kabbalah or New Age beliefs is easily
dismissed as superficial - yet it is a telling sign of our times. It
reflects a deep-seated conviction that there is more to life than what we
see around us.

Surging interest in spirituality and growing impatience with the
intellectual arrogance and intolerance of media atheists is leaving atheism
stranded on a modernist sandbank.

Furthermore, its intellectual credentials are under fire. Dawkins, atheism's
most articulate and influential proponent, argues that we will - or ought
to - abandon religious ideas as children abandon their innocent and naive
belief in Santa Claus.

It is time for us to grow up, he tells us, "leave the crybaby phase, and
finally come of age".

Yet Dawkins' arguments simply do not lead to that conclusion. Nor do they
stand up to critical examination. Dawkins' rhetoric implies that the natural
sciences constitute an intellectual superhighway to atheism; but his logic
fails to deliver on this promise.

He seems to have made the gradual transition from a scientific populariser
to a dogmatic anti-religious propagandist more suited to the 19th than the
21st century.

In part, my reason for writing Dawkins' God - the first book-length study of
how he moves from his scientific presuppositions to atheist conclusions -
was concern about the quality of his engagement with religious issues.

For example, he ignores the awkward fact that the history and philosophy of
science raise the most serious doubts about whether any worldview - atheist
or religious - can be constructed on scientific grounds.

Dawkins' approach simply airbrushes away problems, such as the philosophical
difficulties raised by moving from observation to theory or deciding on the
"best explanation" of what is observed.

If the great debate about God is to be determined solely on scientific
grounds, the outcome can only be agnosticism - a principled, scrupulous
insistence that the evidence is insufficient to allow a safe verdict to be
reached. Either a decision cannot be reached at all or it must be reached on
other, non-scientific grounds.

As the late Stephen Jay Gould, America's leading evolutionary biologist,
insisted, the natural sciences simply cannot adjudicate on the God question.
If the sciences are used as the basis of either atheism or religious
beliefs, they are misused. So need atheism worry about its future? Miller
and Dawkins clearly think not. But I wonder.

Maybe it was once brave and intellectually sophisticated to dismiss those
who believe in God as deluded, unthinking fools. Now it just seems outdated,
arrogant and intolerant.

I hope we can move beyond shopworn rhetoric and have a serious discussion
about the evidential basis for atheism and its future.

As a former atheist myself, though, I wonder how much longer it can rely on
recycling the weary and increasingly unconvincing cliches of yesteryear
while overlooking the shocking legacy of institutional atheism in the 20th
century.

Alister McGrath is professor of historical theology at Oxford University and
the author of Dawkins' God: Genes, Memes and the Meaning of Life (Blackwell,
£9.99).
Report to moderator   Logged
David Lucifer
Archon

Rate David Lucifer

Enlighten me.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
Re:God is not dead yet
« Reply #1 on: 2004-11-16 01:32:13 »

Quote from: Iolo Morganwg on 2004-11-09 09:46:53   

If the great debate about God is to be determined solely on scientific
grounds, the outcome can only be agnosticism - a principled, scrupulous
insistence that the evidence is insufficient to allow a safe verdict to be
reached. Either a decision cannot be reached at all or it must be reached on
other, non-scientific grounds.

Science cannot lead to a safe verdict? Perhaps if your standards of safe are insanely high.

Quote:

As a former atheist myself,

This did not come as a surprise.

notquitemale
Neophyte

What I don't know hurts me less than what I do.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2004-11-25 15:31:07 »

[[ author reputation (0.00) beneath threshold (3)... display message ]]

« Last Edit: 2005-01-01 17:16:59 by David Lucifer » Report to moderator   Logged
Babelfish
Acolyte

Rate Babelfish

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2004-12-13 03:25:53 »

Are rationality and faith compatible? – reply to McGrath

McGrath ignores that most people who call themselves atheists (especially those who, like Dawkins, have a scientific background) use the ‘weak’ definition of atheism, which refers to ‘a lack of belief in any deity’. ‘Weak’ atheism is a strictly rational view, whereas ‘strong’ atheism (the definite assertion that no deity exists) is itself an unprovable belief.

Superficially, the difference between the two definitions of atheism appears to be large, so that use of the term agnosticism for the ‘weak’ form of atheism might seem preferable. However, the term agnosticism is misleading insofar as it implies a neutral attitude towards religion, which is by no means a logical consequence of this view.

A hypothesis can be impossible to disprove but may nevertheless be rejected on rational grounds: For example, science cannot disprove the existence of mermaids, but few people would call themselves mermaid- agnostics and take a neutral position as to their existence.
Again, rational thought leads to a ‘weak’ form of disbelief (weak a-mermaid-ism, so to speak), because the definite assertion that no mermaids exist remains unprovable. The practical difference between a ‘weak’ and a ‘strong’ disbeliever is merely that the former is prepared to revise his opinion when faced with evidence to the contrary. Note that this is quite different from respecting the belief in mermaids as a tenable position in the absence of such evidence.

Consider the question: ‘Does God exist?’. It demands a ‘yes’ or ‘no’ answer. In the absence of conclusive evidence in either direction, one might intuitively assign a probability of 50 % to either alternative. In this perspective, a theist appears no less rational that an atheist, not to mention heavenly rewards etc.

But what God are we talking about? Thousands of candidates are worshipped around the world (see http://www.thebestlinks.com/List_of_deities.html), and an infinite number of equally plausible alternatives could be imagined. In the face of this infinite set of possibilities, any particular belief that is not founded on evidence has a near-zero probability of being true.

And what if the world is ruled by any of those other deities, for whom worship of a wrong God might actually be a greater sin than rationality?

I mean by intellectual integrity the habit of deciding vexed questions in accordance with the evidence, or of leaving them undecided where the evidence is inconclusive. Bertrand Russell
Joe Dees
Heretic

Rate Joe Dees

I love YaBB SE!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: 2004-12-13 04:28:29 »

[[ author reputation (1.92) beneath threshold (3)... display message ]]

knives
Initiate

Rate knives

knives
View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #5 on: 2005-01-30 20:25:59 »

Agnostic means no knowledge, and how easy to put yourself in a position of utter laziness in knowledge. A question whether god exist or not is merely to be debated by us in this manner. Analyze the social implications of most religions on human life, I defend atheism because free of that which ties to a life predetermined to suffer can not help you make a better world, and those that have the strenght to accept death as an end, as uncertain as it is supposed to be because I haven't had the pleasure of speaking with anyone dead, i can look at the world and see that it can be better than suffering. Although we cannot disprove god in a scientific affair, logically it can be achieved, the human mind holds all the keys to prove why people need to believe in something otherwise unprovable by the greatest of minds, I feel the answer is right there, some of us can even withhold theories of our own. I refuse to believe in something that cannot be proven to exist, and i have proven to myself as a former catholic as well, i do not need it!

God is just an equation,
who equals slavery.
God is just a perception,
of people's misery.
                            (Mindfuckers, Victor Rivera 2004)
theonlygolux
Initiate

Rate theonlygolux

theonlygolux
View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: 2005-02-02 11:14:27 »

I think it is interesting that the first poster here refers to the recent surge of interest in the Kabbalah and New Age religions as evidence that the construct of God which abides in the minds of the human race is not "dead" yet. I would like to point out that many of the sociological experst who have been predicting this "death of God" have been talking of religion rather than spiritual belief.  As such the spiritual belief will take far longer to disappear, or even to begin to disappear from humankind. 

The fragmentation of the major world religions may well telegraph the beginning of the end of Spirituality, but the memetic mechanisms employed by religions are different to the memeplex that "spiritual" people hold within themselves.

Perhaps we should be interested that many of these celebrities are joining the Kabbalah or splinter religions rather than proclaiming themselves a mamber of the larger religions.  This may simply be a sign of times when the politics of fundamental Christians make being associated with them unpleasant, or may be the beginning of a more widespread trend, beginning to take spirituality more personally.

As fewer and fewer Christians attend church on a regular basis, more and more of them are beginning to feel the lack of a weekly reinforcing of the Christian memeplex which used to be given by the Sunday service, their children are not being brought up with this memeplex as part of their core, and as a result their spiritual allegiances may be weaker and more likely to lapse.

This may be conjecture, and surely any "predictions" made in the past must be seen to be such, but it is difficult to deny that as a whole, the population seems to be moving away from widespread religious adherence in a lifestyle sense and further towards pockets of fundamentalists raging away at all the "unbelievers."  This is likely to be a less stable social dynamic and seems more likely to isolate those groups who place themselves apart on the basis of their religion.  As those groups grow smaller they will grow more isolated until they reach a dead end in their particular branch of memetic evolution.

&quota scholar and a gentleman"
deadletter-j
Initiate

Rate deadletter-j

How many Engstrom's does it take?

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #7 on: 2005-02-05 22:51:04 »

I like this interpretation. Let me add this.

Memes with pure intent spread. As they hit the distant echoes of their original incarnation, a new being groks the fundamental intent, takes in the meme, transmogrifies it into local language, and kicks out a new version.

So let's take Jesus as an example. His pure intent is demonstrated in two ways.

1) He let himself be nailed to a tree - recanting could have got him out, I believe, and he chose to speak in actions to his beliefs.

2) His meme spread, because the fundamental meme had pure intent, even if spinoff memes were negative. Enough priests who sailed with vicious Spaniards had enough understanding of the 'God is Love and Helping' meme that they convinced people to spread the meme.

To take that, I think you'd have to agree that 'memes with pure intent spread' - since that might not yet make sense, how about some examples.

Martin Luther takes in the Jesus message, compares it to the enactment (vis-a-vis the Catholic Church) and translates the Bible into German. He brings the message closer. Other people also coalesce a pure message and kick out a new version. The founders of the Jehovah's Witnesses. The people who founded the  Baptists, the Mormons, etc, etc, etc. Each one took the original meme, translated it into local understanding, and spread it.

Now, if the fundamental meme is 'organized religion' in general, I would posit that it spread because, at it's heart, organized religion has the pure intent to be a working social system. It desires to exist.

Similar to any system, it cascades towards complexity, and in so doing, begins a new synthesis.

What if everyone in the world had their own religion, and that was okay?

Is there a way we could be said to be practicing one religion? The DIY religion?

Hijacking everything ever knew about anything.
deusdiabolus
Magister

Rate deusdiabolus

NEVER underestimate monkey!
641785 641785    deusdiabolus deusdiabolus
View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: 2005-02-08 04:28:06 »

Quote from: deadletterb on 2005-02-05 22:51:04   

Memes with pure intent spread. As they hit the distant echoes of their original incarnation, a new being groks the fundamental intent, takes in the meme, transmogrifies it into local language, and kicks out a new version.

This raises an interesting sub-question:  How do memes with pure intent become corrupted?  How does a religious structure such as Christianity become tainted with the blood of non-believers or alternate practitioners, people who are killed or silenced simply because they do not choose to follow the doctrine in question?

My theory is that it has to do with power structures.  When an individual achieves a position of wide-reaching influence and control, either by the memetic spread of the individual's ideas by like-minded followers or by installation from authorities in a higher position, history has shown there is a tendency for corruption to occur. This corruption occurs either as a result of the inability to temper power with responsibility, or the pre-existing psychological makeup of the individual.

my WR0N9 is LEGEND
ObfuscatoryAlias
Initiate

Rate ObfuscatoryAlias

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2005-02-25 13:46:04 »

Quote from: knives on 2005-01-30 20:25:59   

Agnostic means no knowledge, and how easy to put yourself in a position of utter laziness in knowledge. A question whether god exist or not is merely to be debated by us in this manner. Analyze the social implications of most religions on human life, I defend atheism because free of that which ties to a life predetermined to suffer can not help you make a better world, and those that have the strenght to accept death as an end, as uncertain as it is supposed to be because I haven't had the pleasure of speaking with anyone dead, i can look at the world and see that it can be better than suffering. Although we cannot disprove god in a scientific affair, logically it can be achieved, the human mind holds all the keys to prove why people need to believe in something otherwise unprovable by the greatest of minds, I feel the answer is right there, some of us can even withhold theories of our own. I refuse to believe in something that cannot be proven to exist, and i have proven to myself as a former catholic as well, i do not need it!

I think it is unfair to attribute agnosticism to laziness. It is actively concerned with epistemology. It suggests that science reigns and it does so because of ideas such as Occam's Razor or the idea of a "line of best fit" in terms of statistics and probability. As a matter of fact, an agnostic such as myself would argue that to be an atheist one would necessarily suspend the logic that science itself is dependant upon.

Another plus is that I can still consider myself a symbolic Satanist and express my hatred of religion whenever it suits me.
novatech
Neophyte

I'm a llama!

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #10 on: 2005-09-27 04:18:05 »

Fox
Archon

Rate Fox

Never underestimate the odds.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2005-10-29 14:57:03 »

Would it then be fair to equate agnosticism with ignorance?

Or maybe ones own sloth of faith...?

There are those who will believe and those who will not, those who will rise and those who will fall.

Who...is your own choice of fate.

I've never expected a miracle. I will get things done myself. - Gatsu
Salamantis
Neophyte

I'm a llama!

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #12 on: 2005-10-29 19:07:06 »

MoEnzyme
Acolyte

Rate MoEnzyme

infidel lab animal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: 2010-08-11 13:53:56 »

Yes I agree that god is not yet dead. However, contrary to the originally quoted author at the beginning of this thread "who used to be an atheist" in 2004, I think in America, atheism is growing faster and more out of the closet than ever. And I don't think it has anything to do directly with Richard Dawkins - I think he's really more a reflection of it rather than any significant cause. I think the causes of this American atheist explosion mostly have to do with the "war on terror" and its religious politics especially post 9/11. I think the 9/11 Al Qeda squad and GWB/Cheney administration 2000-2008 have done far more to fuel atheism in America in such a short time than any memetic engineer could ever imagine to have achieved on purpose. I don't think any of those most responsible for those events and activities even knew what they were causing, and they definitely did not intend such a consequence.

I will fight your gods for food,
Mo Enzyme

(consolidation of handles: Jake Sapiens; memelab; logicnazi; Loki; Every1Hz; and Shadow)
MoEnzyme
Acolyte

Rate MoEnzyme

infidel lab animal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: 2010-08-11 14:24:09 »

I think God is alive in a memetic sense, essentially the greatest anthropomorphism. As social metaphor machines our brains come prewired for anthropomorphism - more than any of the philosophically or existentially trivial characteristics we give them (omniscience, omnipotence, etc. etc.), we mostly make gods in our own image.

I will fight your gods for food,
Mo Enzyme

(consolidation of handles: Jake Sapiens; memelab; logicnazi; Loki; Every1Hz; and Shadow)
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to: