logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-04-19 00:56:37 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Check out the IRC chat feature.

Church of Virus BBS
  General
  Church Doctrine

While it's nice
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: While it's nice  (Read 1782 times)
JeffCreel
Neophyte

I'm a llama!

View Profile E-Mail
While it's nice
« on: 2004-04-15 20:39:09 »

[[ author reputation (0.00) beneath threshold (3)... display message ]]

Report to moderator   Logged
Walter Watts
Archon

Rate Walter Watts

Just when I thought I was out-they pull me back in

View Profile WWW E-Mail
Re:While it's nice
« Reply #1 on: 2004-04-16 00:31:50 »

Your 7 posts offer us old-timers some food for thought.

I enjoyed reading them.

Welcome to CoV.

Let's see if we can engender some discussion on your posts.

Walter

Walter Watts
Tulsa Network Solutions, Inc.

No one gets to see the Wizard! Not nobody! Not no how!
David Lucifer
Archon

Rate David Lucifer

Enlighten me.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #2 on: 2004-04-17 17:34:43 »

Quote from: JeffCreel on 2004-04-15 20:39:09   

It's good that there is the falsifiability clause including those "truths" but that clause also includes the falsifiability clause. This creates a nice paradox, especially when trying to create a unity of "believers".

I don't see the paradox here. The fact that something is falsifiable doesn't imply that it is false.
romanov
Adept

Rate romanov

Doctor of Philosophy? What disease is that?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2004-04-17 20:37:06 »

I take it your general query is on the disparity between the religious mindset and the scientific/rational mindset, given that the COV is, ostensibly, a bunch of people of a scientific/rational outlook trying to behave (at least marginally) like the more religiously inclined.

I don't really see the disparity, if that is what concerns you. We're attempting here to organise and reap the benefits of organisation. Although we may call ourselves a 'church', I doubt you'll find it easy to get anyone on this forum to bow to anyone. It isn't about enforcing a memetic system of unquestioning belief or setting a 'standard' dogmatic viewpoint. There's a large degree of variance in many of our viewpoints here.

What it's about, at least for me, is that we agree to accept a few basic principles within a fairly broad spectrum, and agree to be try to as rational as possible.

It's a damn sight more than I get in my daily life. That's why I find this forum so valuable.

romanov
JeffCreel
Neophyte

I'm a llama!

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #4 on: 2004-04-17 23:01:43 »

the.bricoleur
Archon

Rate the.bricoleur

making sense of change

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #5 on: 2004-04-18 06:34:49 »

Greetings JeffCreel,

Quote:
How does that make you different than any other relgion?

Yes, I think that rationality and religion (especially Middle Eastern religions that believe in the historical process of salvation and the end times) are not that far apart. Both are attempts to build meaningful models. However, rationality is more open-ended in that it admits that it is a model for building models, whereas Middle Eastern religions deny this and claim access to an absolute truth. Both assume that the need for meaning is an inherently valuable thing. The question I am interested in is: Is scientific reason ahead in the game of model making, or is it merely another kind of model with its own advantages and disadvantages? Is it more evolved or is it merely based on different assumptions about the world? Is it representative of a higher level of abstraction or a meta-modelling?

take care and control
the bricoleur

Your conscious life, in short, is nothing but an elaborate post-hoc rationalisation of things you really do for other reasons.
- V. Ramachandran
Matt Arnold
Magister

Rate Matt Arnold

The Electric Monk
145919418 145919418    nemorathwald nemorathwald
View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #6 on: 2004-05-20 13:12:08 »

Quote from: JeffCreel on 2004-04-17 23:01:43   
Can you rationally prove that rationality is the best answer?

Can you rationally prove that rationality is the best answer?

Jeff, I'd like to offer you my own attempt at that. I would answer, "as opposed to... what?" A lot of people think that using reason to establish the legitimacy or validity of reason is just like establishing the legitimacy or validity of coin-tossing as a truth-finding method, by tossing a coin again. But if reason is alone in the truth-finding toolbox, the only alternative is to abandon the truth-finding process. I know of no person who will decide to completely abandon the use of reason. That's where it differs from any alternative being offered: it is possible to attempt to abandon the use of coin-tossing or consulting magic 8-balls, and even abandon firm inner convictions and relativistic authoritarianism in the truth-finding process. This can be carried through completely, at least in principle if not in practice. You can't abandon the use of reason completely even if you tried. Someone who tried to do so would use reason to identify reason so it could be avoided. Otherwise they would be helpless to avoid it!

In the same way, if one believes reason is a valid approach but no more valid than other truth-finding "modes," what mode would we use to identify when to use which mode? To use something other than reason to do this simply means to abandon criteria for deciding when to use which "mode." Reason is the only method that you have no choice but to use to choose between methods. What is the definition of reason but "the application of criteria"? "Discrimination" "discernment" or "criteria" can be misleadingly applied within other so-called methods, but these words have no content without the concept of reason.

He believed in a door. The door was the way to... to... The Door was The Way. Good. Capital letters were always the best way of dealing with things you didn't have a good answer to.
Matt Arnold
Magister

Rate Matt Arnold

The Electric Monk
View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #7 on: 2004-05-20 13:40:21 »

The paradox is that you seemingly emphasize lack of dogma, yet you do it through establishing a dogma.
I think I can explain this paradox. I hate dogmatism, and so I've tried to hold my beliefs provisionally. I've tried to identify when I've held a dogma and make it non-dogmatic by calling it into question and scrutinizing it. But in this process of whittling down my presuppositions, I found that I was still left with six of them. They are the Six Axioms of Thought as found in the Epistemology document in the FAQ section of this messageboard. They are the only self-evident things.
1. Existence: Existence exists.
2. Consciousness: The self exists.
3. Reality: Wishing won't make it so.
4. Identity: Things have a nature.
5. Non-contradiction.
5. Causality.
What I've done is not eliminated pre-suppositions completely, but  I only don't question them because I can't help it. They are only beyond question because it is literally impossible to question them without refuting oneself. I still could be said to hold them provisionally, because if you come up with a way to question them I'd be happy to try it.

Therefore, by minimizing the Senseless Sin of dogmatism and eliminating it wherever possible, the Church of Virus really does emphasize lack of dogma. That's the way I see it.

He believed in a door. The door was the way to... to... The Door was The Way. Good. Capital letters were always the best way of dealing with things you didn't have a good answer to.
animalu
Neophyte

Aware

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2004-06-03 09:35:44 »

Matt Arnold
Magister

Rate Matt Arnold

The Electric Monk
View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #9 on: 2004-06-03 11:43:40 »

I don't know exactly what you're saying, but you've piqued my curiosity. I have several questions to help me grasp what you're getting at. What other aspects of the human being are you referring to? Coin-tossing, consulting a magic 8-ball, and various kinds of faith were presented in my post as the alternatives to reason, but if you can think of something else I'd like to hear it.

Which leads to the question, towards what goal or end do you use the instruments that you propose? Which function is in mind? My post was about how to make decisions, how to shape a mental map on which to base those decisions. The goal or end I've chosen for instruments to achieve is to attempt to draw a mental map, which I intend to match a terrain. Are you saying we might want to engage in other activities? Well sure, but if you would list eating as an alternative to thinking, that's not a replacement, it's an addition.

I am one of those people whose mental map has a starting point, a foundation that terminates the supposedly infinite regress of justification. That foundation is the six axioms of epistemology as listed in the Virian doctrine: 1. Existence exists. 2. I exist and am conscious of existence. 3. A thing that exists has an identity, a nature. 4. Reality is a set of conditions that exists with a nature, whether I know it or not, believe it or not, like it or not. 5. Non-contradiction. 4. Causality.

brack
Acolyte

Rate brack

I'm a llama!

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #10 on: 2004-06-03 12:50:25 »

Quote from: animalu on 2004-06-03 09:35:44   
Usage of reason cultivates habit.
It sounds like your problem here is with habit, not reason.

Quote:
Reason is a valid approach only in the external and abstract environments that affect nothing else: decision making, control, etc. Internally, reason is at most a self diagnostication and investigation tool.
I'm not sure if I'm reading this right, but I think that you're saying that decision making is external and abstract, and therefore affects 'nothing else'. Tell me if you meant something else, because I would say decision making can affect everything. Also, we can use reason to make internal decisions that are as valid as external ones, even if the process is murked up considerably by hormones and whatnot.

Quote:
For a math problem, you won't eat. You'll reason. For attracting a mate, you won't recite geometry theories, but you'll dance and touch. For escaping a rabid dog, you'll run, HOPEFULLY, unless you're a memoid that discards everything else for reason. So, at least as far as I can see, a rationalist approach on life is a bit radical, even if it's designed to control or enhance.
I'm currently in college, and when I get stuck on homework I take a shower. For some reason I think better there. I've also troubleshot car trouble from the shower. One of my strongest reasons for attending college was to meet intelligent women. I've never danced with my wife, and I never married any girl I ever danced with. Probably just a reflection on my dancing ability. Both reason and emotion tell us to run from a rabid dog, but the dog must still be dealt with, i.e. captured or killed. Reason is far more useful than emotion for this.

I think that as a tool for living, reason is far more useful than emotion. However, it's hard -- maybe impossible -- to get 'higher purpose' or meaning or reasons for living from reason, so reason must still take account of personal emotional reality, family obligation, ethical beliefs, etc.
animalu
Neophyte

Aware

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2004-06-03 14:31:20 »

animalu
Neophyte

Aware

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2004-06-03 15:00:57 »

Matt Arnold
Magister

Rate Matt Arnold

The Electric Monk
View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #13 on: 2004-06-03 16:29:14 »

I see no problem with what you're saying. You and I don't disagree at all, we're just changing the subject. When I pick what chair to sit in, or fall in love, or take my hand off a painfully hot object, or react to a beautiful symphony, these are not claims which can be judged true or false. And yet such judgement was the only realm to which my earlier comments in this discussion have ever applied. My comments should pose no threat to anything outside that jurisdiction.

I agree that truth is a fuzzy concept, and truths cannot be pinpointed or held down with certainty (except for the six axioms). Nevertheless, I still don't think you would deny that we eventually have to do the best we can, no matter how tentative, to rate competing claims for their relative truth value. This is far from a concept of absolute Truth. It's a sliding scale of factuality, in which, even if a claim is imperfect, it's still an improvement on some other claim that tries to contradict it. The other things you refer to are valuable for what they're able to do in their domains. But reason alone is a judge of competing claims in the realm of factuality.

animalu
Neophyte

Aware

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2004-06-03 19:34:46 »

Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to: