logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-04-18 19:45:33 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Donations now taken through PayPal

Church of Virus BBS
  General
  Church Doctrine

Regarding the 100th monkey concept....
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: Regarding the 100th monkey concept....  (Read 1409 times)
deusdiabolus
Magister

Rate deusdiabolus

NEVER underestimate monkey!
641785 641785    deusdiabolus deusdiabolus
View Profile WWW
Regarding the 100th monkey concept....
« on: 2003-10-04 22:36:35 »

Something I wanted to throw out to the collective....

I was reading the FAQ paper on the Hundredth Monkey concept and it occurred to me that this phenomena is similar to something that I have observed in the five years I have spent working in a record store.  After spending a certain number of years in a shop where people come in to buy music, you start to become aware of certain buying patterns.  More often than not, these patterns are triggered by obvious stimuli (i.e. excessive radio play  , a local stop on a national concert tour, the passing of a band member or artist, a holiday).  But sometimes, it almost seems as if there are seasons for certain things.  I am convinced that there will always be certain artists (specifically older ones) that seem to sell better at certain times of the year.  Some periods are better for "old-school" soul, some are better for newer artists, some are better for blues, and some are better for jazz.  Perhaps there are additional outside influences that I have missed, but I am almost certain there is some sort of a pattern to it.

I was wondering if anyone else has become aware of a similar occurrence regarding these repetitive patterns and certain materialistic desires or activities (seemingly unrelated to the obvious stimuli such as those listed above)....
Report to moderator   Logged

my WR0N9 is LEGEND
David Lucifer
Archon

Rate David Lucifer

Enlighten me.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
Re:Regarding the 100th monkey concept....
« Reply #1 on: 2003-10-17 01:55:59 »

The patterns you observe might be real, but they almost certainly have nothing to do with the discredited 100th monkey concept.
Atheist Crusader
Magister

Rate Atheist Crusader

You can't catch what you can't see
snakehead9
View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #2 on: 2004-04-28 18:55:59 »

The problem with the pattern you observed (as with all patterns that we humans observe) is that, as humans, we tend to see patterns, whether they are there or not.  The problem is that, realizing this, we can sometimes discredit the patterns that we see when they are actually true.

As David has said, the "100th monkey theory," although seemingly plausible, has been proven false before.  This does not, however, discount the pattern that you have seen.  My goal when I find a pattern that I think is real is usually to figure out what the underlying cause could be, and when dealing with humans, this usually boils down to the question: "What meme is it that causes all of these people to act this way?".

That said, it is quite possible that the pattern you have seen exists, as I have myself seen things like it across not only large cultures, but smaller sub-cultures as well.

That's my two cents.

-Atheist Crusader
deusdiabolus
Magister

Rate deusdiabolus

NEVER underestimate monkey!
641785 641785    deusdiabolus deusdiabolus
View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 2004-09-29 02:45:43 »

I wonder if it's just a radio play thing.  And if that's the case, that means that playlist oriented radio $uX @$$ in ways that we have not yet begun to comprehend.

my WR0N9 is LEGEND
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to: