logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-04-19 18:07:07 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Everyone into the pool! Now online... the VirusWiki.

Church of Virus BBS
  General
  Church Doctrine

Dogma?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: Dogma?  (Read 3845 times)
stray
Neophyte

Real men love Jesus.

View Profile E-Mail
Dogma?
« on: 2003-07-28 16:21:34 »

[[ author reputation (0.00) beneath threshold (3)... display message ]]

Report to moderator   Logged
Jet Grind
Neophyte

I am the omnipotent one
xRedxHatterx
View Profile
Re:Dogma?
« Reply #1 on: 2003-07-28 16:50:07 »

David Lucifer
Archon

Rate David Lucifer

Enlighten me.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #2 on: 2003-07-28 22:59:20 »

Quote from: stray on 2003-07-28 16:21:34   

Is this intended to be ironic satire?

No, why?
stray
Neophyte

Real men love Jesus.

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #3 on: 2003-07-29 00:51:41 »

David Lucifer
Archon

Rate David Lucifer

Enlighten me.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #4 on: 2003-07-29 21:32:20 »

Charles Darwin lived a truly meaningful life.

No person is immortal (yet) but some aspects of personhood known as memes have the potential to live forever.

I don't understand your third question. Do you think there is something about dynamic systems that makes immortality impossible?

outlawpoet
Adept

Rate outlawpoet

poetoutlaw
View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 2003-08-05 04:57:35 »

charles darwin was a very famous and influential thinker. Is meaning then fame? or fame among scientists at any rate?

Is meaning educating others? or allowing others to be educated by your ideas(darwin was not a teacher)

Is meaning becoming a figurehead for a new scientific area? Darwin was hardly the only creator of evolutionary theory.

I can't think of any other public faces to darwin that you might be referring to.

I think the 'meaningful life' statement refers to the fact that if you are a virian you're closer to the truth and thus more effective in your goals. Allowing you to achieve more meaningful action however you define it yourself, but this charles darwin thing has me confused. He didn't seem all that happy a fellow, in his later years, based on his correspondence, anyway.

"...ironically, perhaps, the best organised dissenters in the world today are anarchists, who are busily undermining capitalism while the rest of the left is still trying to form committees."
--Jeremy Hardy, /The Guardian/ (UK)
David Lucifer
Archon

Rate David Lucifer

Enlighten me.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #6 on: 2003-08-05 11:40:47 »

Quote from: outlawpoet on 2003-08-05 04:57:35   

I can't think of any other public faces to darwin that you might be referring to.

I meant that Darwin fundamentally changed the way that we (humanity) think about ourselves. By knocking us off the imaginary pedestal of special creation he has opened up whole new vistas of thought. He has given us a way of seeing that is so powerful, we were relatively blind before Darwin. He awakened us from the dream that separated us from every other known lifeform.
metahuman
Anarch

Rate metahuman

MetaVirian
View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #7 on: 2003-11-12 08:40:39 »

The concept of a "truly meaningful life" is formed of opinion. For some, Darwin wasted his life. The CoV chooses to promote their opinion and the Church of Christianity chooses to promote their opinion (but they're too afraid to admit it is their opinion so they blame it on "God").
David Lucifer
Archon

Rate David Lucifer

Enlighten me.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #8 on: 2003-11-12 09:41:52 »

Quote from: metahuman on 2003-11-12 08:40:39   

The concept of a "truly meaningful life" is formed of opinion. For some, Darwin wasted his life. The CoV chooses to promote their opinion and the Church of Christianity chooses to promote their opinion (but they're too afraid to admit it is their opinion so they blame it on "God").

True, all concepts are formed of opinion. If you are saying that all opinions are equally valid, I disagree. Some opinions are more coherent than others.
Mayrel
Neophyte

nathan_baum
View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #9 on: 2004-01-21 08:25:38 »

David Lucifer
Archon

Rate David Lucifer

Enlighten me.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #10 on: 2004-01-24 14:06:24 »

Quote from: Mayrel on 2004-01-21 08:25:38   

The human genome has survived for hundreds of thousands of years. We know of individual genes that have, to the best of our knowledge, remained virtually unchanged for a billion. The universe is not implacably hostile to information. When we refer to immortality we refer to the persistent of information, whether our memetic legacy or, eventually, our minds.

I wonder if you wouldn't consider that aspect of the universe described by the 2nd law of thermodynamics hostile to information?
MoEnzyme
Acolyte

Rate MoEnzyme

infidel lab animal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: 2004-01-28 13:16:24 »

Quote from: David Lucifer on 2004-01-24 14:06:24   

Quote from: Mayrel on 2004-01-21 08:25:38   

The human genome has survived for hundreds of thousands of years. We know of individual genes that have, to the best of our knowledge, remained virtually unchanged for a billion. The universe is not implacably hostile to information. When we refer to immortality we refer to the persistent of information, whether our memetic legacy or, eventually, our minds.

I wonder if you wouldn't consider that aspect of the universe described by the 2nd law of thermodynamics hostile to information?

As I recall the 2nd law of thermodynamics deals with a thermodymically closed system.  As far as I know, no such thermodynamically closed system has been discovered.  Many systems come close to this ideal and to the extent that they do the second law can be demonstrated.  But with no known system being absolutely closed and with our lack of knowledge about the closedness/openess of the universe, I don't think we can conclude that the universe is either thermodynamically hostile or friendly to information.

I will fight your gods for food,
Mo Enzyme

(consolidation of handles: Jake Sapiens; memelab; logicnazi; Loki; Every1Hz; and Shadow)
David Lucifer
Archon

Rate David Lucifer

Enlighten me.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #12 on: 2004-01-28 13:31:48 »

Quote from: Jake Sapiens on 2004-01-28 13:16:24   
As I recall the 2nd law of thermodynamics deals with a thermodymically closed system.  As far as I know, no such thermodynamically closed system has been discovered.  Many systems come close to this ideal and to the extent that they do the second law can be demonstrated.  But with no known system being absolutely closed and with our lack of knowledge about the closedness/openess of the universe, I don't think we can conclude that the universe is either thermodynamically hostile or friendly to information.

If a source of energy was discovered "outside" our universe wouldn't the borders of the unvierse be redrawn to include the source? If so, then the universe is thermodynamically closed by definition.

On a related note, do you think the amount of information in the universe is growing, decreasing or remaining steady?
MoEnzyme
Acolyte

Rate MoEnzyme

infidel lab animal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: 2004-01-28 19:19:56 »

Quote from: David Lucifer on 2004-01-28 13:31:48   

Quote from: Jake Sapiens on 2004-01-28 13:16:24   

If a source of energy was discovered "outside" our universe wouldn't the borders of the unvierse be redrawn to include the source? If so, then the universe is thermodynamically closed by definition.

hmm.  Well, by the time we have reached a context of such a magnitude, we may be dealing with an entirely different set of rules.  I guess this is part of the problem with dealing with concepts like "universe".  Maybe it would be better to simply say "the universe as we know it" to avoid definitional conundrums like this.

Quote:
On a related note, do you think the amount of information in the universe is growing, decreasing or remaining steady?

I'm guessing that the answer to this depends on how much life, and how much intelligence there is in the universe, since lifelike and/or intelligent phenomenon seem to use and generate information more so than other things.

I will fight your gods for food,
Mo Enzyme

(consolidation of handles: Jake Sapiens; memelab; logicnazi; Loki; Every1Hz; and Shadow)
David Lucifer
Archon

Rate David Lucifer

Enlighten me.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #14 on: 2004-01-29 08:55:53 »

Quote from: Jake Sapiens on 2004-01-28 19:19:56   

hmm.  Well, by the time we have reached a context of such a magnitude, we may be dealing with an entirely different set of rules.  I guess this is part of the problem with dealing with concepts like "universe".  Maybe it would be better to simply say "the universe as we know it" to avoid definitional conundrums like this.

I don't see a conundrum, I was just pointing out that the universe is usually defined as everything that exists, so it doesn't make sense to speculate about external energy sources or anything else that could possibly make the universe anything other than a thermodynamically closed system.

Quote:

I'm guessing that the answer to this depends on how much life, and how much intelligence there is in the universe, since lifelike and/or intelligent phenomenon seem to use and generate information more so than other things.

Life is certainly generating information, but I'm wondering whether it is doing so at the expense of information elsewhere.
Pages: [1] 2 Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to: