logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-04-18 21:33:57 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Donations now taken through PayPal

Church of Virus BBS
  General
  Church Doctrine

becoming a priest?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: becoming a priest?  (Read 3148 times)
lotusfox
Acolyte

Rate lotusfox

Red Destiny

View Profile
becoming a priest?
« on: 2003-07-15 08:35:42 »

so, other religions find ways of spreading thier ideas around and getting new converts; i mean, if we are a church  we should have a set of do's and don'ts when it comes to spreading the word.  wouldn't want to make a bad impression.

for intance, what's the CoV equivalent of a christian priest?  and how does one go about becoming one?

how will this church its ideas past the boundries of the internet into the world and minds of the theists?  will we ever have a book that is equivalent to the bible?  a printed magazine perhaps.  written editorials in newspapers or other e-zines.

-radicaledward, was lotusfox
Report to moderator   Logged

i am tamed by devouring my own wings
-Hermes
Kharin
Archon

Rate Kharin

In heaven all the interesting people are missing.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
Re:becoming a priest?
« Reply #1 on: 2003-07-15 11:11:52 »

One of the notorious weaknesses of conventional religions is ossified doctrine, attributable to the inability to amend holy texts (e.g. the judaic proscription of pork, ). Of course, some religions reform these matters by stealth (e.g. the christian proscription of usury), but having a formalised text seems generally to be a bad idea.
lotusfox
Acolyte

Rate lotusfox

Red Destiny

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2003-07-15 17:05:24 »

the book would serve as a guide to the newly inaugurated, not as an end all be all answer book that people would follow blindly.

there is no god in our church for priests to claim has absolute authority on what is right. atheists in have only ideals and ethics to guide them.
so it would be normal to accept that church doctrine is going to change with the times and to meet the needs of its practitioners.

this forum will eventually become to big for people who have never been here before to sort though and read it all. one day a summation of the teachings here will be required. first an HTML document and then eventually a book in printed form people could use to further the memes of virus.

most people don't even know what the scientific method implies or just what it means to doubt. even though these things are pivotal to understanding why the concept of god is flawed.

radicaledward

-Hermes
Jet Grind
Neophyte

I am the omnipotent one
xRedxHatterx
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2003-07-16 14:39:12 »

[[ author reputation (0.00) beneath threshold (3)... display message ]]

« Last Edit: 2003-07-16 14:44:30 by Arcanis » Report to moderator   Logged
lotusfox
Acolyte

Rate lotusfox

Red Destiny

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2003-07-16 17:00:49 »

yeah, maybe a official CoV book is a bad idea both now and in the near future.
if this church needs a whole book devoted just to the teachings of the CoV, than it will be written by one of its own members and maybe placed with the rest of recommended books, not at the top. it won't be held as total truth. just a vector among many.

when i proposed the question of "becoming a priest" i was looking for a way too combat the constant rhetoric of these god fearing religions that keep floating around.

the GodFearingReligions (GFR)tm has people running around all day grabbing up new converts from the large majority of agnostics, not-sure believers, and people that are just lonely. not every one of them is suddenly going to go on the net and look up "atheist" at google.

oh well, i'll go read the new lecture form D. Lucifer himself and then see what i think about improving this church and its reach.

-RD

-Hermes
Jet Grind
Neophyte

I am the omnipotent one
xRedxHatterx
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2003-07-16 18:51:05 »

David Lucifer
Archon

Rate David Lucifer

Enlighten me.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #6 on: 2003-07-19 11:05:45 »

Quote from: RD on 2003-07-16 17:00:49   

yeah, maybe a official CoV book is a bad idea both now and in the near future.

The official doctrine of the CoV (such as it is) is captured in the web site. Part of the doctrine is the recommended reading list (much easier to just point at what we think is right rather than rewriting it :-)).

The evolving doctrine is on the VirusWiki with related discussions on this BBS and the mailing list.
LhyR of Chaos
Neophyte

live, love, and be...

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #7 on: 2003-10-12 06:33:51 »

what's coming through is alive, what's holding up is a mirror... totally void of hate, and killing me just the same... coming over like a storm again now considerately.
metahuman
Anarch

Rate metahuman

MetaVirian
View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #8 on: 2003-10-15 00:46:48 »

No book. Just a brochure. 
David Lucifer
Archon

Rate David Lucifer

Enlighten me.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #9 on: 2003-10-16 12:14:10 »

Quote from: LhyR of Chaos on 2003-10-12 06:33:51   

at one point earlier in this thought stream, someone said that there is no god in this church.

this is not true.

I concede that you can redefine the word "god" so that this church has one. But you would also have to agree that I can redefine "god" as a wiki and I guess that would make us all theists, right?
Kid-A
Adept

Rate Kid-A

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #10 on: 2003-10-16 14:16:05 »

perhaps someone could compile all the best bits of the #virus irc logs, and sell it as a book, i mean it cant hurt

You're probably wondering why i'm here, well so am I, so am I.
LhyR of Chaos
Neophyte

live, love, and be...

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #11 on: 2003-10-16 15:18:11 »

what's coming through is alive, what's holding up is a mirror... totally void of hate, and killing me just the same... coming over like a storm again now considerately.
David Lucifer
Archon

Rate David Lucifer

Enlighten me.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #12 on: 2003-10-17 01:53:57 »

Quote from: LhyR of Chaos on 2003-10-16 15:18:11   

precisely.  well, sort of.  i'm not proposing that god really "is" any one thing, but that all thing have a facet of truth to them, and that somewhere within that facet of truth lies a connection to a higher truth, and that higher truth is... well, leads to a godhead.

What is a facet of truth? Does the logical inverse of your assertion also contain a facet of truth? If so, does that lead to a facet of a contradiction?

Quote:

yes, one could argue god is any one thing, but to define this as one thing is not doing it justice.  i propose that the fabric of reality itself (and anything else that might exists as an antithesist to said fabric) is god and that we are all fractal shards of said diety, that by acknowledging that you exist you are a theist.

Fractal shards? Do you mean everything is self-similar on every scale? If so, I don't think that is true. If not, what do you mean?
LhyR of Chaos
Neophyte

live, love, and be...

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #13 on: 2003-10-17 02:29:46 »

atra
Acolyte

Rate atra

I'm a llama!
nuclearslr
View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #14 on: 2003-11-08 00:58:51 »

A priesthood that is designed to spread the CoV meme would be effective. I mean the whole point of having a religion is that more than one person can share it. And what the church is best at is spreading memes.

Pages: [1] 2 Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to: