logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-03-28 12:49:19 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Open for business: The CoV Store!

Church of Virus BBS
  General
  Church Doctrine

anomalies
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: anomalies  (Read 1374 times)
CyberCypher
Neophyte

judasrocka15
View Profile E-Mail
anomalies
« on: 2003-06-13 22:16:20 »

[[ author reputation (0.00) beneath threshold (3)... display message ]]

Report to moderator   Logged
Hermit
Archon

Rate Hermit

Prime example of a practically perfect person

View Profile WWW
Re:anomalies
« Reply #1 on: 2003-06-13 23:25:18 »

I doubt it, even though, due to the definition, I doubt even more that you will find anything worthwhile to study.
After all, all that is "normal" can be studied. Therefore, if something can be studied, even if labeled "paranormal", it is simply "normal". Thus it seems to me that "paranormal", not, by definition "normal", cannot be usefully studied.

Hermit
« Last Edit: 2003-06-15 11:25:53 by Hermit » Report to moderator   Logged

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion. - Steven Weinberg, 1999
Hermit
Archon

Rate Hermit

Prime example of a practically perfect person

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 2003-06-14 21:11:13 »

As an additional consideration, think on Popper's story about Prof. C. D. Broad, (senior professor at Cambridge). "Broad was interested in paranormal phenomena, and around this time Popper attended a meeting, with Broad present, at which a speaker claimed that it would be an ostrich policy to ignore the mounting evidence for such phenomena. In the discussion Popper rose to 'say a word in favour of the ostrich'." Refer [ Hermit,  "A taste of Popper and a word for the ostrich", 2003-06-14 ] (Second highlighted section).

Hermit

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion. - Steven Weinberg, 1999
David Lucifer
Archon

Rate David Lucifer

Enlighten me.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #3 on: 2003-06-15 11:01:06 »

Quote from: CyberCypher on 2003-06-13 22:16:20   

I looked all over the site for the answer to this question, but I did not find it, so I will try to ask for it here: Is the fair and unbiased study of "paranormal phenomena" incompatible with the CoV's doctrine?

The study of paranormal beliefs, and how and why they spread despite the lack of any reasonable supporting evidence would certainly come under our purview.
NoodleBoy
Neophyte

The Greatest Conceivable NoodleBoy
Luciferi93
View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #4 on: 2003-06-15 20:19:00 »

[[ author reputation (0.00) beneath threshold (3)... display message ]]

« Last Edit: 2003-06-15 20:19:28 by NoodleBoy » Report to moderator   Logged

The Almighty NoodleBoy
"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false-face for the urge to rule it."
-HL Mencken
localroger
Magister

Rate localroger

Never!

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #5 on: 2003-08-31 13:39:07 »

Quote from: CyberCypher on 2003-06-13 22:16:20   

Is the fair and unbiased study of "paranormal phenomena" incompatible with the CoV's doctrine?

My take has been that it is not strictly incompatible, but since CoV is pushing a rationalist viewpoint that if you have a both a scientific and a metaphysical explanation for the phenomenon, you should take the scientific explanation.  This is most aptly demonstrated by the prominence of Charles Darwin in the Church's literature.

I am personally agnostic as to whether an "unscientific" model of the Universe may be more accurate than the scientific one, and on Tuesdays and Thursdays (the days I allow myself to consider what I call the "Low Information" model of the Universe) I suppose I am not in accordance with CoV doctrine.

I would say that keeping the Low Information Model consistent with itself requires a great many assumptions, most of which are not made by the vast majority of people who believe in paranormal phenomena.  If the Universe is not modeled as scientists believe, then it is not just a little different, it is vastly different from what they believe.
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to: