logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-03-28 06:28:32 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Check out the IRC chat feature.

Church of Virus BBS
  General
  Evolution and Memetics

Pigs flying? Maybe not, but what about cats?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: Pigs flying? Maybe not, but what about cats?  (Read 1015 times)
Bass
Magister

Rate Bass

I'm a llama!

View Profile
Pigs flying? Maybe not, but what about cats?
« on: 2007-05-24 20:13:55 »

I stumbled upon this so I figured it would be interesting to some:

http://www.messybeast.com/winged-cats.htm

Quote:

Possibly the earliest report of a winged cat is that by Henry David Thoreau: "A few years before I lived in the woods there was what was called a 'winged cat' in one of the farm-houses in Lincoln nearest the pond, Mr. Gillian Baker's. When I called to see her in June, 1842, she was gone a-hunting in the woods, as was her wont ... but her mistress told me that she came into the neighbourhood a little more than a year before, in April, and was finally taken into their house; that she was of a dark brownish-grey colour, with a white spot on her throat, and white feet, and had a large bushy tail like a fox; that in the winter the fur grew thick and flattened out along her sides, forming strips ten or twelve inches long by two and a half wide, and under her chin like a muff, the upper side loose, the under matted like felt, and in the spring these appendages dropped off. They gave me a pair of her 'wings,' which I keep still. There is no appearance of a membrane about them. Some thought it was part flying squirrel or some other wild animal, which is not impossible, for, according to naturalists, prolific hybrids have been produced by the union of the marten and the domestic cat. This would have been the right kind of cat for me to keep, if I had kept any; for why should not a poet's cat be winged as well as his horse? "

Unfortunately it is more of a disorder, but I was wondering; could be their next step in evolution... ?

Bass
Report to moderator   Logged
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to: