logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-04-25 06:27:52 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Do you want to know where you stand?

Church of Virus BBS
  General
  Evolution and Memetics

Enlighttenment Fundamentalists !?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: Enlighttenment Fundamentalists !?  (Read 2077 times)
kenneth
Neophyte

I'm a llama!

View Profile E-Mail
Enlighttenment Fundamentalists !?
« on: 2007-01-06 11:35:21 »

[[ author reputation (0.00) beneath threshold (3)... display message ]]

Report to moderator   Logged
Perplextus
Adept

Rate Perplextus

View Profile E-Mail
Re:Enlighttenment Fundamentalists !?
« Reply #1 on: 2007-01-06 15:19:00 »

I'll admit that I'm not familiar with the non-English terms you used, and that some passages of your post confused me a bit.  But there are two points to which I wish to respond:
First of all, if you were asserting that our founding fathers were religious fundamentalists, see http://non-religious.com/quotes.html.  Frankly, I do not agree that they were fundamentalists about ANYTHING, though they all did agree pretty much with certain Enlightenment ideas.

Next: I could make a whole post in itself as to this, but regarding why we haven't been able to convince people to abandon their beliefs...well, we've been using the wrong strategies and approaching the situation from the wrong perspectives.  Even the liberal Enlightenment idea of freedom never abandoned the principle that no one is free to perpetuate socially-detrimental actions.  I've never heard of even one thinker who advocated the freedom to rape, murder, and steal at will.  However, back then most thinkers seemed to believe that most "religion" is relatively harmless if practiced in private and not backed by any State endorsement.  Nowadays, we see that this is not the case.  Certain memes--i.e. religion--are effectively HARMFUL SOCIAL VIRII.  The idea that people should be allowed to believe whatever they want about God is, to be blunt, out-dated.  Religion is a plague and needs to be cured. 

How to do this though?  I have some ideas.  One is to publicize all the ways in which Scientific Rational Atheism is better than religion at all the things religion claims to be good for.  S.R.A. is a better source of ethics, it's a better source of purpose and meaning in life, it offers better means for coping with grief, it offers a better explanation for how the world works, it offers better ways to organize society, and it offers more ways to improve the quality of life.  And by "better" I mean "more conducive to the survival of our species, and of each of us as individuals."  Religion persists because (among other reasons) people feel like they need it.  We Atheists need to lead both by example and by argument to show them that they DON'T, and furthermore that they're better off without it.

Next, we have to recognize that trying to convert Fundamentalists is a lost cause.  It's the agnostics, the "holiday Christians", and the apathetic that we should target, because unlike the fundamentalists, these groups are NOT IMMUNE to rational argument.  Most of these people would be Atheists if they were given good reason to be, so we must give them reasons!  It's the "swing" states that win elections, remember?  If we can build an Atheist majority among the electorate, we can push back the tide of religious influence in our government.  That is a good first step in eliminating the Theistic threat to our species.

Praise Bob!
localroger
Magister

Rate localroger

Never!

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #2 on: 2007-01-06 21:46:21 »

Quote from: Perplextus on 2007-01-06 15:19:00   

I've never heard of even one thinker who advocated the freedom to rape, murder, and steal at will.

The Marquis de Sade.  He was contemporary with the Founders, and as he was quite notorious and the French were our allies some (particularly Benjamin Franklin) were undoubtably aware of his writings.
Perplextus
Adept

Rate Perplextus

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #3 on: 2007-01-07 08:16:17 »

I may stand corrected.  Did he earnestly believe his own writings, or was he just doing it to be controversial?  Did anyone actually take him seriously?  And didn't they lock him in an asylum?

Even Anton Lavey limited human freedom to "within one's lair, where all who enter do so knowing the conditions of their entry".

Praise Bob!
kenneth
Neophyte

I'm a llama!

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #4 on: 2007-01-09 14:58:43 »

Perplextus
Adept

Rate Perplextus

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #5 on: 2007-01-09 19:55:03 »

Kenneth, I disagree that religion is here to stay.  The fact that the progress of science has been so successful in forcing some religious organizations to change and adapt--and the fact that those adaptations almost universally take the form of limiting what religion can relevantly say about life--to me appear as signs that religion, like many genetic traits rendered useless by a change in circumstances, may be disappearing from the gene/meme pool.  I view these "adapted" religions as the old cartoon character Wile. E. Coyote who has just run off a cliff chasing the Road Runner, but still hangs in the air because he has not yet noticed that there is no ground beneath his feet.  I dream of the day that religious organizations realize that by "letting reason in", they have walked off a cliff, and subsequently must fall to their demise.

However, I also disagree that religions are uniformly trying to adapt themselves to changin circumstances.  While many Christian sects are attempting to become more "progressive", personal, and/or open, many other sects (and other religions entirely, including but not limited to Islam and Judaism) are responding in the opposite manner, by becoming hardline fundamentalists.  Perhaps these are the minority, but they are a powerful, vocal, and dangerous minority--a very significant minority.

As I weyken, what makes religion a dangerous force is NOT the obviously harmful doctrines or teachings specific to certain religions; it is the compulsion to "believe" in unnecessary fictions.  Any religion that grounds its teachings in mysticism or in some absolute metaphysical assumption that is "beyond" logical or empirical testability, regardless of how benign its teachings, is antithetical to science and reason, two of our most powerful tools for survival.  Science and religion cannot logically coexist, unless one is willing to perpetually restrict one's religious views to keep up with the discoveries of science.  If one was willing to do this, I'd have to ask: if science can shrink your God indefinitely, why continue to worship him when science is clearly more powerful?

In so far as Christians insist on the existence of an anthropomorphic personal paternal God that fathered a mortal son, or insist on the existence of the soul and a heavenly/hellacious afterlife, they have NOT "let reason in".  Taken to their logical conclusions, both of these beliefs serve to reassure people that this life, this society, this species, this planet "doesn't really matter."  We're all gonna live forever in some immortal non-physical world, right?  And if God is all powerful, and he has decided when the world should end, nothing we do can bring about the end of the world against his wishes.  Any Christian who would argue otherwise cannot be called a Christian without inviting paradox. 

Frankly, I find modern progressive Christians to be in a way worse than their fundamentalist brethern, for in trying to reconcile reason and scripture, they have undermined and compromised both.  Their "adaptations" consist of little more than dismissing an ever-growing number of biblical passages as "metaphor" and "allegory", or of simply ignoring whatever they deem unhelpful.  This fatally undermines any authority they ascribe to the passages that remain; either the Bible is the literal word of God, or it's a storybook with no more moral authority than Mother Goose.  However, at least many of these "progressive" Christians are not entirely immune to rational argument; press them enough and many of them will begin to abandon their beliefs. 

Lastly, I'd like to say that "Fighting" is the wrong word to describe the approach I wish to take to religion.  Fighting implies a contest between two fairly-equally matched opposing forces.  There is no contest between religion and Scientific Rational Atheism; S.R.A. is superior in every respect, and I will gladly defend that point if you wish to challenge it.  Anything religion can do, S.R.A. can do better, at least in terms of survival value for our species.  What I desire to do is expose the public to the superiority of S.R.A.  Given S.R.A., religion is obsolete.  The only thing religion still has going for it is sheer numerical supremacy; but history is rife with examples of victories by the out-numbered underdog.

Praise Bob!
kenneth
Neophyte

I'm a llama!

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #6 on: 2007-01-11 14:50:31 »

Perplextus
Adept

Rate Perplextus

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #7 on: 2007-01-12 12:54:45 »

Kenneth, if you are of the belief that religion necessarily will exist for all times, despite the possibility of events like the technological "Singularity", the rise of spirothetes, and other eventual advances in science that quite probably will make religious belief nearly impossible to maintain with even the barest degree of logical consistency, there is nothing I can say to persuade you otherwise.  Inspite of the fact that a growing number of people are embracing Atheism (thus demonstrating that there is nothing about religion "hard-wired" into the human psyche), a fact that demonstrates people from many (if not all walks of life) have found Atheism ideal for their "spiritual" needs, you seem to believe that for some reason or another the "rest" of humanity has some cognitive inability to let go of religion.  Fine.  I can't argue with that.  All I can say is that what you are proposing (that religion will fragment, scatter, and imbed itself into everyday life through increasingly dislocated, generalized and non-dogmatic means) begins to look less like religion, and more like just tradition.  There may always be churches, there may always be Christmas and Hannukah...the iconography and texts may stand for ages, but they alone are not sufficient to constitute "religion".

However, I can address your questioning of whether S.R.A. (or just Atheism in general) can provide adequate "theodicies" (consolatory explanations) to grief-stricken humans faced with the loss of a loved one, but I'll do it in another post called "How I became an Atheist" in the Religion and Philosophy forum.  Because, you see, I lost a loved one, and while religion failed me in trying to deal with it, Atheism and Science have given me much more effective ways to deal.  I hope to illustrate to you with my story the ways S.R.A. are superior in dealing with grief and loss.

Praise Bob!
kenneth
Neophyte

I'm a llama!

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #8 on: 2007-01-20 15:18:41 »

Perplextus
Adept

Rate Perplextus

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #9 on: 2007-01-20 19:40:17 »

Quote from: kenneth on 2007-01-20 15:18:41   

What is of interest is how we both stick to our ' beliefs '.
We agree in disagree....
But back to the drawingboard....
I don 't want necessarily that religion will exist for all times,
it is just the most logical evolutionary explanation there is
for certain events happening since the rise of the Enligh-
tenment movements and the beginning of Modernism.

To say that I have a belief I'm sticking to here is a mistake.  Do I believe that religion will someday be wiped out?  Goodness, no!  I can think of countless things that could prevent that from happening.  However, if current intellectual trends based on the progress of science were allowed to continue unchecked for a sufficient amount of time, I think it entirely logical that religion could be relegated to the "scrap heap of mythology".  Do I believe religion is unnecessary, or useless, or harmful even?  No.  I simply have no evidence to the contrary, and thus no reason to maintain otherwise.

Your argument is entirely based on what you perceive as the "advantages" religion gives to people, and appears also to ignore the social progress S.R.A. has made in overcoming those advantages.  Excuse the polemical nature of what follows, it is merely my attempt to respond to your "argument" in kind.

Historically, atheists usually found themselves at a loss for something when they abandoned religion; many of them made the "sacrifice" only for the sake of truth, because they believed truth to be more valuable than the "helpful" aspects of religion.  The notions of sacrifice and loss is spread liberally through the writings of many early atheist commentators.  At the same time, it was also seen as a heavy burden to bear: the loss of religion necessitated for many people a new toilsome struggle to find meaning, to give a foundation to ethics, to explain various phenomena of existence...early atheists were indeed faced with much existential difficulty, which made their cause thoroughly unappealing and memetically-weak.  For many, the chief attraction of atheism was its apparent permissiveness of moral relativism, the old "anything goes" mentality that seemed to sanctify hedonism and hypocrisy.  Thus many early proponents of atheism were vicious and unethical, they sought to do away with religion only because it stood as an obstacle to their basic desires.

The case for Atheism has considerably evolved since those days.  Scientists and philosophers from many fields who have taken up the cause of Atheism have helped the growing irreligion overcome the snares and pitfalls of its youth.  No longer do atheists struggle to explain the strange phenomenon of existence; no longer do atheists founder on the shoal of the impossibility of ethics amid the sea of moral relativism; no longer do atheists bemoan their Sisyphean fate of meaningless toil.  Atheists can now have their cake and eat it, too!  It has become possible to shrug off the burdens of religion--of metaphysical belief in general--and walk through life on lightened feet.  It has become possible for one to gleefully watch the Sun of religion setting over the far horizon--for the last time--and have no fear of the impending darkness: what need have we for fear, when we know that that Sun is but the torch of our forefathers, and that we moderns have made for ourselves torches that shine EVEN BRIGHTER?

That religion has any advantage over atheism, science, and reason: my own life is refutation enough of that.  That others have not yet noticed the brightness of the torch we atheists carry, and scamper for the far horizon in a desperate attempt to catch more light from a Sun that has been outshined by the very light it gave birth to...this cannot be explained in terms of the brightness of the setting sun.  It can only be explained in terms of a mindless fear of darkness, of a refusal to trust what is new.  Humanity invented religions braces for its weak young legs, to help it learn to stand.  Now that its legs have grown strong, humanity can cast off those braces.  Only custom, and the mindless fear of falling inspite of our mature strength and balance, has prevented our species from casting these braces off as the scraps they have truly become.  So long as we wear them, we can stand...but not until we cast them off will we learn to walk--or run.

Quote from: kenneth on 2007-01-20 15:18:41   

Religion, and thus Christianity, evolves up to a kind of faith which doesn 't
seek any kind of universal validity, but it wants to co- exist
with the secular liberal trend for individualism_ it orders the
extreme secularisation of its own perspective and binds us
to come forward with clear and deliberated ideas.We are all
individuals, with ideas about freedom, democracy and in a way we are obliged to have an opinion of our own simply
to survive_ that is a consequence of the Darwinian rule.
The evolution of Christianity shows, and belief me, there is
one...and in that respect the same thing can be said about the liberal society_ an extreme disintegration of assumptions,
dispositions, needs, desires, convictions, preferences, ideas,
validity into little individualities.
It is just within the radical dispersion of the Christian,
historical heritage that we 've lost the way to see where the liberal, secular respect for minorities, dissidents comes from; where the dissolution of sacral structures leaded to; where
the proces of the change- over from slave/ servant to the
autonomous individual has been marked and thus where
ideas like about atheism and SRA began to form.
In a way you 've moved already 2/ 3 steps further up the
ladder of memetical evolution.

You are making the statistician's error of conflating "correlation" with "causality."  That these liberal humanistic ideals emerged under (and to an extent according to) principles of religion does not mean that religion is necessary for these ideals.  Yes, religion was the best tool for justification back when these ideals were born; does that mean it is the only tool?  Certainly not.  Religion, because of its omnipresence, certainly shaped the expression of these ideals, but can take no credit for their birth.  There is as much--and you should know this--within world religions that is AGAINST humanistic liberal ideals as there is in favor of them.  Google the "Skeptic's Annotated Bible".  Religion is an expression of innate evolved human ethics, and a circular way of justifying them.  Religion is the result of Reason's encounter with the limited empirical data of primitive peoples--it is an attempt to explain the world according to the best evidence available at the time.  Religion was born from Reason, not the other way around...and like some species of insects, Religion tried to devour its parent.  Science, liberalism, humanism...these did not come from Religion, nor did they require Religion.  They are not children of Religion, they are more like half-siblings.

Praise Bob!
kenneth
Neophyte

I'm a llama!

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #10 on: 2007-02-07 02:55:45 »

kenneth
Neophyte