logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-04-19 14:14:15 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Open for business: The CoV Store!

Church of Virus BBS
  General
  Evolution and Memetics

Why Intelligent Design Is Going to Win
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: Why Intelligent Design Is Going to Win  (Read 10666 times)
Fox
Archon

Rate Fox

Never underestimate the odds.

View Profile
Re:Why Intelligent Design Is Going to Win
« Reply #60 on: 2005-11-30 15:58:42 »

Quote from: David Lucifer on 2005-11-29 19:14:28   
What exactly is it about the universe that you think cannot be explained as the product of natural processes?

Everything in the universe can be explained in terms of physical perception and interpretation, in respect to, as the products of natural process.

My quote was more inclined towards the natural design of the universe or the fine tuning of our universe.

Of course natural selection is a fact, but a fact based and founded upon pure randomness from a beginning of sheer chaos....
Of course not just this but the entire family tree and web complex of life, which has come to pass upon our little world.

For all probability, suggesting that this universe was not designed is kind of like suggesting a great saga, unlike any other in interlect, depth, logic, creation and imagination, without an author...or anyone who wrote it.

It is of course the same with our universe, such beauty and wonder...but left to random design with nothing more then chaos at its hand...?

If such chaos truley rules and governs all then how did one, let alone all, of these Physical Constants of the Universe come into balance in such away that each one is individually, as goldilocks said, "just right".

What follows is a plausible suggestion to how the universe is indeed designed.

Evidence for the Fine Tuning of the Universe
The constants of the laws of physics have been finely tuned to a degree  not possible through human engineering, Four of the more finely tuned numbers are included below.

Fine Tuning of the Physical Constants of the Universe:

Parameter : Max. Deviation

Ratio of Electrons:Protons 1:10+37
Ratio of Electromagnetic Force:Gravity 1:10+40
Expansion Rate of Universe 1:10+55
Mass of Universe1 1:10+59
Cosmological Constant 1:10+120
These numbers represent the maximum deviation from the accepted values, that would either prevent the universe from existing now, not having matter, or be unsuitable for any form of life.

Recent Studies have confirmed the fine tuning of the cosmological constant. This cosmological constant is a force that increases with the increasing size of the universe. First hypothesized by Albert Einstein, the cosmological constant was rejected by him, because of lack of real world data. However, recent supernova 1A data demonstrated the existence of a cosmological constant that probably made up for the lack of light and dark matter in the universe.2 However, the data was tentative, since there was some variability among observations. Recent cosmic microwave background (CMB) measurement not only demonstrate the existence of the cosmological constant, but the value of the constant. It turns out that the value of the cosmological constant exactly makes up for the lack of matter in the universe.3

The degree of fine-tuning is difficult to imagine. Dr. Ross gives an example of the least fine-tuned of the above four examples in his book, The Creator and the Cosmos, which is reproduced here:

"One part in 10+37 is such an incredibly sensitive balance that it is hard to visualize. The following analogy might help: Cover the entire North American continent in dimes all the way up to the moon, a height of about 239,000 miles (In comparison, the money to pay for the U.S. federal government debt would cover one square mile less than two feet deep with dimes.). Next, pile dimes from here to the moon on a billion other continents the same size as North America. Paint one dime red and mix it into the billion of piles of dimes. Blindfold a friend and ask him to pick out one dime. The odds that he will pick the red dime are one in 10+37." (p. 115)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fine Tuning Parameters for the Universe

1. strong nuclear force constant:
if larger: no hydrogen would form; atomic nuclei for most life-essential elements would be unstable; thus, no life chemistry
if smaller: no elements heavier than hydrogen would form: again, no life chemistry

2. weak nuclear force constant:
if larger: too much hydrogen would convert to helium in big bang; hence, stars would convert too much matter into heavy elements making life chemistry impossible
if smaller: too little helium would be produced from big bang; hence, stars would convert too little matter into heavy elements making life chemistry impossible

3. gravitational force constant
if larger: stars would be too hot and would burn too rapidly and too unevenly for life chemistry
if smaller: stars would be too cool to ignite nuclear fusion; thus, many of the elements needed for life chemistry would never form

4. electromagnetic force constant
if greater: chemical bonding would be disrupted; elements more massive than boron would be unstable to fission
if lesser: chemical bonding would be insufficient for life chemistry

5. ratio of electromagnetic force constant to gravitational force constant
if larger: all stars would be at least 40% more massive than the sun; hence, stellar burning would be too brief and too uneven for life support
if smaller: all stars would be at least 20% less massive than the sun, thus incapable of producing heavy elements

6. ratio of electron to proton mass
if larger: chemical bonding would be insufficient for life chemistry
if smaller: same as above

7. ratio of number of protons to number of electrons
if larger: electromagnetism would dominate gravity, preventing galaxy, star, and planet formation

8. expansion rate of the universe
if larger: no galaxies would form
if smaller: universe would collapse, even before stars formed

9. entropy level of the universe
if larger: stars would not form within proto-galaxies
if smaller: no proto-galaxies would form

10. mass density of the universe
if larger: overabundance of deuterium from big bang would cause stars to burn rapidly, too rapidly for life to form
if smaller: insufficient helium from big bang would result in a shortage of heavy elements

11. velocity of light
if faster: stars would be too luminous for life support if slower: stars would be insufficiently luminous for life support

12. age of the universe
if older: no solar-type stars in a stable burning phase would exist in the right (for life) part of the galaxy
if younger: solar-type stars in a stable burning phase would not yet have formed

13. initial uniformity of radiation
if more uniform: stars, star clusters, and galaxies would not have formed
if less uniform: universe by now would be mostly black holes and empty space

14. average distance between galaxies
if larger: star formation late enough in the history of the universe would be hampered by lack of material
if smaller: gravitational tug-of-wars would destabilize the sun's orbit

15. density of galaxy cluster
if denser: galaxy collisions and mergers would disrupt the sun's orbit
if less dense: star formation late enough in the history of the universe would be hampered by lack of material

16. average distance between stars
if larger: heavy element density would be too sparse for rocky planets to form
if smaller: planetary orbits would be too unstable for life

17. fine structure constant (describing the fine-structure splitting of spectral lines) if larger: all stars would be at least 30% less massive than the sun
if larger than 0.06: matter would be unstable in large magnetic fields
if smaller: all stars would be at least 80% more massive than the sun

18. decay rate of protons
if greater: life would be exterminated by the release of radiation
if smaller: universe would contain insufficient matter for life

19. 12C to 16O nuclear energy level ratio
if larger: universe would contain insufficient oxygen for life
if smaller: universe would contain insufficient carbon for life

20. ground state energy level for 4He
if larger: universe would contain insufficient carbon and oxygen for life

21. decay rate of 8Be
if slower: heavy element fusion would generate catastrophic explosions in all the stars
if faster: no element heavier than beryllium would form; thus, no life chemistry

22. ratio of neutron mass to proton mass
if higher: neutron decay would yield too few neutrons for the formation of many life-essential elements
if lower: neutron decay would produce so many neutrons as to collapse all stars into neutron stars or black holes

23. initial excess of nucleons over anti-nucleons
if greater: radiation would prohibit planet formation
if lesser: matter would be insufficient for galaxy or star formation

24. polarity of the water molecule
if greater: heat of fusion and vaporization would be too high for life
if smaller: heat of fusion and vaporization would be too low for life; liquid water would not work as a solvent for life chemistry; ice would not float, and a runaway freeze-up would result

25. supernovae eruptions
if too close, too frequent, or too late: radiation would exterminate life on the planet
if too distant, too infrequent, or too soon: heavy elements would be too sparse for rocky planets to form

26. white dwarf binaries
if too few: insufficient fluorine would exist for life chemistry
if too many: planetary orbits would be too unstable for life
if formed too soon: insufficient fluorine production
if formed too late: fluorine would arrive too late for life chemistry

27. ratio of exotic matter mass to ordinary matter mass
if larger: universe would collapse before solar-type stars could form
if smaller: no galaxies would form

28. number of effective dimensions in the early universe
if larger: quantum mechanics, gravity, and relativity could not coexist; thus, life would be impossible
if smaller: same result

29. number of effective dimensions in the present universe
if smaller: electron, planet, and star orbits would become unstable
if larger: same result

30. mass of the neutrino
if smaller: galaxy clusters, galaxies, and stars would not form
if larger: galaxy clusters and galaxies would be too dense

31. big bang ripples
if smaller: galaxies would not form; universe would expand too rapidly
if larger: galaxies/galaxy clusters would be too dense for life; black holes would dominate; universe would collapse before life-site could form

32. size of the relativistic dilation factor
if smaller: certain life-essential chemical reactions will not function properly
if larger: same result

33. uncertainty magnitude in the Heisenberg uncertainty principle
if smaller: oxygen transport to body cells would be too small and certain life-essential elements would be unstable
if larger: oxygen transport to body cells would be too great and certain life-essential elements would be unstable

34. cosmological constant
if larger: universe would expand too quickly to form solar-type stars

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have made it this far I guess it is also fair to note the possibility of a multiverse existence.

Fox
« Last Edit: 2005-11-30 16:04:34 by Fox » Report to moderator   Logged

I've never expected a miracle. I will get things done myself. - Gatsu
Salamantis
Neophyte

I'm a llama!

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #61 on: 2005-11-30 16:48:52 »

[[ author reputation (0.00) beneath threshold (3)... display message ]]

Report to moderator   Logged
Blunderov
Archon

Rate Blunderov

"We think in generalities, we live in details"

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #62 on: 2005-11-30 18:23:28 »

Does the Second Law of Thermodynamics Prove the Existence of God? I think all it proves is the existence of the 2nd law of thermodynamics, provisionally of course.

There are two basic problems:

a)What exactly is this 'god' thingy that we are trying to prove the existence of ?

b)Who designed this 'god' thingy?

At some point one is going to have to conclude that there exists that which (whatever you want to call it) must always have existed, without a beginning and, if the 2nd law holds up, without an end.
Otherwise one has to bite the bullet of an infinite regression of designers.

Occams razor suggests to me that a universe which has always existed is a simpler proposition to deal with than the proposition that a god thingy, which had always existed, then went on to create a universe. One difficulty with the second position is that it would necessarily mean that 'god' would have to be able to create something from nothing, otherwise we would be back at square one. Of course, maybe it did. But we know of no single instance of this occuring in our experience of the universe. It is, as far as we know, impossible. Which, if true, means that a creator 'god' is impossible. Which means that the 2nd law cannot be proof of a god because it was never created by god in the first place. Best Regards.
David Lucifer
Archon

Rate David Lucifer

Enlighten me.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #63 on: 2005-11-30 22:46:13 »

Quote from: Fox on 2005-11-30 15:58:42   

If such chaos truley rules and governs all then how did one, let alone all, of these Physical Constants of the Universe come into balance in such away that each one is individually, as goldilocks said, "just right".

I'm not sure what you mean by chaos here, but you should realize that natural selection is not random. The variation is random but the selection is not.

As for the Goldilocks effect, ask yourself if it is just lucky that we happen to live on Earth where water can be found in life-supporting liquid state ("just right") rather than on Venus where it is too hot or Neptune where it is too cold.
Salamantis
Neophyte

I'm a llama!

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #64 on: 2005-12-01 11:58:53 »

Salamantis
Neophyte

I'm a llama!

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #65 on: 2005-12-01 12:00:30 »

Salamantis
Neophyte

I'm a llama!

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #66 on: 2005-12-01 12:08:37 »

Fox
Archon

Rate Fox

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 2005-12-01 15:33:06 »

Quote from: David Lucifer on 2005-11-30 22:46:13   
I'm not sure what you mean by chaos here, but you should realize that natural selection is not random. The variation is random but the selection is not.

By chaos I mean a universe that has come into existence, without any design, intellect or purpose behind it; purely from the disordered state of unformed matter and infinite space, in respect to a dynamical system that has a sensitive dependence upon its initial conditions, supposed in some cosmogonic views to have existed before the ordered universe. And ask how can such orders and cosmological constants, aligned and tuned so perfectly, in all probability and rationality, merley be the result of nothing more then the chaotic system of mother natures hand alone.

The universe just seems to wonderful and nurturant, in all respect of what can be observed and percieved, to be only, the child of chaos in genesis.

Again only my opinion.

I was neither implicating nor proposing that natural selection is random in its-self. Though the variation over time is random I would agree. What I ment was that evolution is the result of random events (genetic mutations, deletions, duplications, etc) that are acted upon through the process of natural selection.

Quote from: David Lucifer on 2005-11-30 22:46:13   
As for the Goldilocks effect, ask yourself if it is just lucky that we happen to live on Earth where water can be found in life-supporting liquid state ("just right") rather than on Venus where it is too hot or Neptune where it is too cold.

I say that luck is an act of will rather then an act of nature.
A man makes and gives his own luck, rather then life being a game of luck. It is not lucky just the causality of natural constants acting in equilibrium. For if we lived on Venus or Neptune, we wouldnt be having this conversation now, because life would never have Evolved to the general state at which we are now...right this second.

Quote from: Blunderov on 2005-11-30 18:23:28   
a)What exactly is this 'god' thingy that we are trying to prove the existence of ?

Hello Blunderov, I am slightly curious as to why you placed your post here, but no matter.

Allow me to awnser your basic problems systematically from a personal point of view.

a) In effect God is everything, the energy that 'Is' throughout the eternity of existence and which reside's within all material creation.
But then this, like the sensitive balance of the cosmological constants is difficult to visualize or even imagine....only eternity is beyond numerical value or understanding for us.
So the next best thing for mans limited brain in understanding lies in Love. But then even atheist's can find Love and still not any connection or contentment in God. In this case it is Pride that is the root of ones sin.

b)Who designed this 'god' thingy?

b) God simply is, as eternity has no beginning or designer.
Asking who designed God is like asking who created all the energy to exist. The awnser is it has always been.

Occams razor suggests to me that a universe which has always existed is a simpler proposition to deal with than the proposition that a god thingy, which had always existed, then went on to create a universe.

Sometimes the simplest things in life are not the awnser in life its-self.

One difficulty with the second position is that it would necessarily mean that 'god' would have to be able to create something from nothing, otherwise we would be back at square one.

Not something from nothing but something from Himself.

Of course, maybe it did. But we know of no single instance of this occuring in our experience of the universe.

Well there was Jesus where he fed the 5000, with only five loaves and two fish and did someother pretty amazing things.
Of course you did not say evidence but instance and the experience lives on in the knowledge of today.

Fox

« Last Edit: 2005-12-01 21:05:09 by Fox » Report to moderator   Logged

Hermit
Archon

Rate Hermit

Prime example of a practically perfect person

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: 2005-12-02 01:16:43 »

The author(s) make(s) multiple errors of composition, causation and conclusion. The central errors should be glaringly obvious, are well known as the "anthropic fallacy", and may be formally dissected by any moderately competent debater, being based in classical and well understood logical errors.

The primary failure is that we weyken our Universe could have evolved in many, many different ways, with many possible rules ("laws"). A substantial number of those ways could well result in (possibly different from stars and planets) heat sources and voids with sufficient energy and matter in proximity for long enough for some kind of thing which we would grant is a life form, were we around to analyse it, to develop. Such life forms may be very different from us, but then, e.g. Sulfolobus thermoacidophile archaea are different from us too. And had our planet been just a little closer to the Sun, the Sun a little warmer, or the Earth a little better insulated, the planetary temperature might have stayed over 100C all the time and the descendents of Sulfolobus might well have ruled the Earth, rather than us eukaryotic types. And the Sulfolobus could then make exactly the same erroneous apologies (not arguments) as this writer has, with just as little support. As the apology (or possibly special pleading) can't be true for both cases, it is, I submit, invalid for any one of them. I'd summarise this by saying that the author looks at us here in the middle of this local corner of the Universe, at a particular instance in time, which we have evolved to fit and suggests that this proves that the Universe was constructed for our convenience. It does not follow.

A secondary failure is the implicit argument to incredibility. Until it is shown that there are no other instances of universii arising (difficult, as any other universii are by definition inaccessible to ours (or they would be part of our Universe))*, the likelihood (or unlikelihood) of a Universe such as the one we occupy is merely hypothetical. The fact that our Universe exists, proves that it possible for it to exist, but does not speak to the likelihood of it existing as it is. The fact is, we don't know how many universii like or unlike ours exist or do not exist. This means that we cannot validly assert anything about universe origination statistics except that the probability of our Universe originating as it has, is at least unitary. Which, as we see here, does not mean that true believers will not talk about such statistics. It just means that, in the absense of improbable evidence, their talk has no significance.

Hermit

*Naturally the onus is on those attempting to raise this as an argument to substantiate it.
« Last Edit: 2005-12-02 06:48:03 by Hermit » Report to moderator   Logged

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion. - Steven Weinberg, 1999
Salamantis
Neophyte

I'm a llama!

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #69 on: 2005-12-02 15:20:01 »

Blunderov
Archon

Rate Blunderov

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #70 on: 2005-12-03 06:16:36 »

Quote from: Salamantis on 2005-12-02 15:20:01   

Under God or Under Darwin?
Intelligent Design could be a bridge between civilizations.
By Mustafa Akyol
http://www.nationalreview.com/comment/akyol200512020813.asp

...But ID proponents aren't questioning the fact that dinosaurs predated humans and invertebrates predated birds; our question, rather, is how they came to be...

...With his solid faith in Darwinism, Coyne also assures us that the gaps in the fossil record — which should have been filled by the 150-year-long desperate search for the fossilized remains of numerous, successive, slight modifications — "are certainly due to the imperfection of the fossil record." But why can't we consider the possibility that the gaps might be real — that forms of complex life might have appeared on Earth in the way they are, as the fossil record suggests? The standard reply to this question is the "god of the gaps" argument: that theists have imagined divine powers behind natural phenomena in the past, and science, in time, unveiled the natural processes behind those phenomena. But if we had seen a cumulative filling of gaps since Darwin, we would have agreed. What we have actually seen is the reverse: Ever since Darwin, and especially in recent decades, the problems with the theory of evolution have been deepening and widening. With the discovery of the unexpected complexity of biology, and the sudden leap forward in the history of life with the Cambrian explosion, the Darwinian theory turns out to be based on an atheism of the gaps, in which lack of knowledge about life led to the wrong assumption that it is simple enough to be explained by a non-design theory.

[Blunderov] The same old rubbish. But this rubbish is quite interesting from the point of view of so blatantly wishing to have it's cake and to eat it too. The quotes above show, I think, a contradictory claim: that god instituted a perfectly good process of evolution but, strangely, that very same divine process has manifest imperfections in it which, therefore, prove the existence of said god. Talk about the exception proving the rule!

Which proposition are we supposed to accept; that god set the process of evolution in motion that resulted in humankind, (ID proponents aren't questioning the fact that dinosaurs predated humans) or that humankind was custom built to devine specification (the wrong assumption that it is simple enough to be explained by a non-design theory) ? Both?
David Lucifer
Archon

Rate David Lucifer

Enlighten me.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #71 on: 2005-12-03 18:45:08 »

Quote from: Salamantis on 2005-12-02 15:20:01   

Under God or Under Darwin?
Intelligent Design could be a bridge between civilizations.

By Mustafa Akyol
http://www.nationalreview.com/comment/akyol200512020813.asp

The distaste for American culture in the Islamic world is based on similar feelings. The America that people see is one represented by Hollywood and MTV. A recent poll in Turkey revealed that 37 percent of Turks define Americans as "materialistic" while a mere 8 percent define them as "religious." Not surprisingly, 90 percent say that they know the U.S. mainly through television.

From all this, one can see that the much-debated cultural gap between the West and the Muslim world is actually a two-sided coin: While the latter has some extremely conservative or radical elements that turn life into joyless misery, the former has extremely hedonistic and degenerate elements that turn life into meaningless profligacy. And if we look for a rapprochement between Westerners and Muslims, we again have to see both sides of the coin: While Muslim communities need reformers of culture that will save them from bigotry, the Western societies need redeemers of culture that will save them from materialism. Of course, the manifestations of the former (such as support for terrorism) are far more dangerous and intolerable than those of the latter, but as root causes, both must be acknowledged.

Also interesting is this explicit assumption that scientific materialism leads directly to licentiousness and decadence, and it is this that the Muslim world really fears.
Fox
Archon

Rate Fox

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 2005-12-03 19:44:11 »

Quote from: Hermit on 2005-12-02 01:16:43   
And the Sulfolobus could then make exactly the same erroneous apologies (not arguments) as this writer has, with just as little support. As the apology (or possibly special pleading) can't be true for both cases, it is, I submit, invalid for any one of them. I'd summarise this by saying that the author looks at us here in the middle of this local corner of the Universe, at a particular instance in time, which we have evolved to fit and suggests that this proves that the Universe was constructed for our convenience.

Lol, I guess special pleading is theoretically possible with the idea of parallel dimentions, but I can safely say that it has no grounds here.

There are however "possibility's" for these remarks and there meaning to the degree of anonymity in which they are shrouded, in respect to who they are based on.

1) Misinterpretation.

2) Manipulation, to ones own design of thought/opinion.

But then I have not come here to argue (as possibly mentioned), only discuss.
I offer only my opinion and suggestion based on what I know and expect no one to follow in my thoughts or cognition.

Of course the possibility to a multiverse existence was mentioned in one of my previous posts, yet not elaborated, which holds with me as valid an opinion to which an unfair observation accused otherwise without question.

In responce I simply emphasize on that which has been misjudged, in respect to whom it is needed.

String theory, a revolutionary attempt into a deeper description of nature by thinking of an elementary particle not as a little point but as a little loop of vibrating strings;  which in theory predicts a large number of possible universes, called backgrounds or vacua. The set of these vacua is often called the anthropic landscap or simply the landscape. Some physicists argue that the existence of a large number of vacua puts the anthropic reasoning on firm ground. Others argue that this is not predictive. However, M-theory attempts to deal with this problem, though it has been suggested that its general formulation will probably require the development of new mathematical language.
Technically, yes, you do need the extra dimensions, 6 curled and wrapped up dimentions + M-theory in respect to the 3 + 1 of observable spacetime. M-theory is not as yet complete but can be applied in many situations (usually by exploiting string theoretic dualities), but the full theory is not yet known as the theory is still only in its infancy. However, yes it is possible that string theory could be wrong. But if it is in fact wrong, its amazing that its been so rich and has survived so many brushes with catastrophe and has linked up with the established physical theories in so many ways, providing so many new insights about them. It shouldnt seem likely that a wrong theory should lead us to understand better the ordinary quantum field theories or to have new insights about the quantum states of black holes.One could suggest that the question is alittle bit like the question about interpreting fossils. When fossils were first explored 100 or 200 years ago, some people thought they were traces of past life that had survived in the rocks and others thought that they had been placed there at the creation of the universe by the creator in order to test our faith. Lets imagine a theory that predicts the strength of a cosmological constant which says nothing about the sensitivity of a habitable universe to the calculated value. We would still have the same fine tuning "problem." If anything, the appearance of design would be strengthened, for no longer would the "just right" value seem to be the result of a convenient accident, but rather the inevitable result of a highly designed first-principle law. But the cosmological constants are not justifiable in themselves or our universe alone.

When one is dealt a bridge hand of thirteen cards, the probability of being dealt that particular hand is less than 1 in 635 billion. Yet, it would seem absurd for someone to be dealt a hand, examine it carefully, and exclaim, “wow, the odds against getting these exact cards are 635 billion to 1. I couldnt possibly have been dealt this hand by chance. There must have been supernatural intervention.”  That, for some is the fallacy of this idea. The assumption that the universe and world as it exists was a predetermined outcome while for others it is something that was ment to happen because it was always going to happen. With the proposition that there is a meta-universe with parallel dimentions and universes all around us, the awnser becomes simple and the existence of God is not infringed upon ones own choice of faith in any way of evidence, for or against, as all possibilities are played out and so all becomes rational based on personal perspective. The order of the idea is that universes born with life were formed from an order of such while those with no life are simply chaotic existences, to unstable for life, formed within there own matrix, with an existence of time based on formation.
In a sence you have chaos from order and order from chaos in pretty much the same way as you have good from evil and evil from good, or at lest the possibilities for such, but each existing and growing individually while at the same time both being apart of the same field in which to grow in.

The idea of a designer or a creator, God, is an applicable principle for those of faith in God.

Science in the end can only go so far in truth and certainty, so in such respect, faith will always be needed, we just have to judge cearfully and trust ourselves as to where we place it, after all in the end we all have our own idea of the perfect world...

Quote from: Blunderov on 2005-12-03 06:16:36   
The quotes above show, I think, a contradictory claim: that god instituted a perfectly good process of evolution but, strangely, that very same divine process has manifest imperfections in it which, therefore, prove the existence of said god.

I would say, in respect to this that  creation was never intended to be perfect as imperfection, evil and sin are needed for the purpose of faith. If, I was God, I think, I would want to test the faith of those who I was to live and spend eternity with to. It seems logical.
You could try thinking about it this way, if you truly loved someone would you marry them if you had no faith in them?

« Last Edit: 2005-12-03 19:52:07 by Fox » Report to moderator   Logged

Blunderov
Archon

Rate Blunderov

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #73 on: 2005-12-04 04:52:12 »

Quote from: Fox on 2005-12-03 19:44:11   

Quote from: Blunderov on 2005-12-03 06:16:36   
The quotes above show, I think, a contradictory claim: that god instituted a perfectly good process of evolution but, strangely, that very same divine process has manifest imperfections in it which, therefore, prove the existence of said god.

I would say, in respect to this that  creation was never intended to be perfect as imperfection, evil and sin are needed for the purpose of faith. If, I was God, I think, I would want to test the faith of those who I was to live and spend eternity with to. It seems logical.
You could try thinking about it this way, if you truly loved someone would you marry them if you had no faith in them?

The Great Virian Pheith Wars were before my time, fortunately from what I can gather. There is a big semantic problem here. It has been comprehensively dealt with. "Weyken, a bright, shiny and needed word?" is Hermit's most recent post on the subject I think. (FWIW I also had a moment of doubt about the distinction between 'faith' and 'confidence' once.)

If I was intending to marry someone (other than the Politburo? Perish the thought!) I would need to have some confidence, based on my experience of her, that we might be able to get along together, not a hopeful little wish that my bride-to-be did perhaps actually exist somewhere in the universe and might even actually turn up for the ceremony. Do you see the equivocation here? We are not talking about faith in the same sense. One is based on evidence of the senses. The other one is pure speculation based on inference and no other evidence whatsoever. Mysticism, in  word.

"...creation was never intended to be perfect as imperfection, evil and sin are needed for the purpose of faith..."

Yes, but why is this "faith" at all 'needed' (God is needy?!) except as an ex post facto patch for the problem that there is no evidence at all for the existence of the previously asserted god?  It seems to me that, by definition, an omnipotent god should be able to create any kind universe that it decides upon. Why not create one in which the existence of god is completely obvious to all it's denizens?

Which is where, I suppose, we get to that other, subsiduary, ex post facto patch; 'god', I have heard, wants us to love 'him' of our own free will, unemcumbered  by any brutally obvious evidence of his actual existence. Why?  How is it possible to 'love' something the existence of which it is only possible to dimly suspect, if at all? An omnipotent god would presumably be able to arrange these matters to his complete satisfaction at any time he chose without, unless he is a sadist, having to torment his creations with uncertainy and doubt. In any case, an omnipotent god would have absolutely no need to 'test' it's creations in this fashion. An omnipotent god would know in advance which of his creatures would be faithful.

I suppose that an omnipotent god would be able arrange for his own amnesia in this regard, but only, as far as I can see, at the expense of his own 'omnesia'.

Would he then still be 'god' and deserving of worship?

Best Regards.

Hermit
Archon

Rate Hermit

Prime example of a practically perfect person

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: 2005-12-04 06:09:00 »

If Hawking Radiation exists (and it may, as in July 2004 Hawking suggested that he had derived a theorem permitting information to escape from a singularity - though it is still AFAIK unpublished) and can be validated, then it is possible that far from a mere 'hypothetical' concept, there may be a 'Ultimate ensemble' compatible multiverse with at least theoretical one way traps out of our Universe. But I wouldn't hold my breath. All 'modal reality' concepts, though endlessly fascinating to certain mathematicians, physicists and sci-fi authors are essentially mathematical masturbation which, while it apparently can provide as much pleasure to those playing with their surds, as most people get from the other kind, are nevertheless inherently unscientific in the absence of any visible necessity (Ockham again).

Hermit

PS Any meme-bers of the Interuniversal Society for Eschatological Pantheistic Multiple-Ego Solipsism here?

PPS Blunderov, if there were such things as gods involved in fashioning humans, then other than using a cabbage as the source for about 28% of our DNA (very obvious in the faithful) it seems to me that e.g. Mongolism, Pancreatic Cancer and other blissful delights reflect these gods as being brutal, nasty, and, or incompetent - and more deserving of erradication than "worship" no matter what their motives.

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion. - Steven Weinberg, 1999
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to: