logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-04-24 19:12:07 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Do you want to know where you stand?

Church of Virus BBS
  General
  Evolution and Memetics

Does God Exist?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: Does God Exist?  (Read 3475 times)
Mr. Yank
Neophyte

soundsrushing@yahoo.com mr.yank@aol.in
View Profile WWW
Does God Exist?
« on: 2005-02-07 01:25:35 »

[[ author reputation (0.00) beneath threshold (3)... display message ]]

Report to moderator   Logged

"By believing passionately in something that still does not exist, I've created it...
the non-existent is what I haven't sufficiently desired!"
David Lucifer
Archon

Rate David Lucifer

Enlighten me.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
Re:Does God Exist?
« Reply #1 on: 2005-02-08 10:58:55 »

Quote from: yank on 2005-02-07 01:25:35   
I just need all of your opinions on this one...
& if possible, you can support your opinion with evidences or theories & stuff!

There are two relevant Meridion votes:
Does god exist?
and
Does a deity exist?

Personally I think the xtian god cannot exist because the concept is nonsensical (mutually contradictory attributes). It is possible that a deity created our universe, but unlikely since it there would have to be a meta-universe.
« Last Edit: 2005-02-08 11:00:31 by David Lucifer » Report to moderator   Logged
deadletter-j
Initiate

Rate deadletter-j

How many Engstrom's does it take?

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #2 on: 2005-02-09 20:02:01 »

How about...

Are we god (collectively)?

If 'community' is something that is more than the sum of its parts, is it possible that meta community not only can play god, it should?

-b

Hijacking everything ever knew about anything.
Mr. Yank
Neophyte

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 2005-02-10 04:23:55 »

"By believing passionately in something that still does not exist, I've created it...
theonlygolux
Initiate

Rate theonlygolux

theonlygolux
View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: 2005-02-11 05:15:43 »

In my opinion to answer this question it is helpful to look at what i consider to be one of the main reasons that mankind invented God in the first place.  It is likely to have been to explain things which were, at that time, inexplicable

If one looks at how this might have begun, with lightning and thunder scaring early humans, or with loved ones dying for no apparent reason.

So they invent a big bearded chap in the sky who is wrathful (at first, obviously a lot of rejigging comes after this) and does these things when he's pissed.

If we then fast forward through whole lot of time we arrive at today, when we have explained to our own satisfaction what causes thunder, and what causes people to die for no outwardly apparent reason.  There are two fundamental questions left.  (I am sure there are more for some people, but in my mind only two big ones remain)

1) How did this all start?  We have extrapolated and theorised back as far as the Big Bang, but before that?  Was there a before at all?

2) How does the human mind work?  This comes down to a few large questions about neuroscience.

In my opinion, when we can answer these questions we will have rid ourselves of the need to have something which can explain the inexplicable.  I am sure that more questions will come up, but religion is always tardy when chasing science, and while these two issues are addressed in most religions, (Creation and Intelligence) newer questions which are raised by advances in technology are less likely to be used by religions to justify the need for a deity.

Of course this is all simply my opinion - but if/when we can answer these questions I will be interested to see what happens to major religions...

&quota scholar and a gentleman"
Mr. Yank
Neophyte

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 2005-02-11 05:23:20 »

David Lucifer
Archon

Rate David Lucifer

Enlighten me.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #6 on: 2005-02-11 16:42:04 »

Quote from: theonlygolux on 2005-02-11 05:15:43   

In my opinion to answer this question it is helpful to look at what i consider to be one of the main reasons that mankind invented God in the first place.  It is likely to have been to explain things which were, at that time, inexplicable

That is a popular theory. For another very interesting theory on the origins of religion, see Pascal Boyer's Religion Explained.

Quote:

1) How did this all start?  We have extrapolated and theorised back as far as the Big Bang, but before that?  Was there a before at all?

No, since time began with the big bang it doesn't make sense to ask what came before. It is said that it is like asking what is north of the north pole.
knives
Initiate

Rate knives

knives
View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #7 on: 2005-02-12 23:57:49 »

I would have to agree that God was once created for the purpose of explaining that which then had no other explanation. Yet you have to realize that this reason has changed since all the scientific advances can either prove or theorize very rationally about anything yet unknown, still the belief stands. Farther than that, who can disprove unquestionably the non existence of god, I am an atheist(although this might sound agnostic) because I hold the opinion that something as unprovable as !god! is not even  worth my time, maybe I can not prove he does not exists but who is to prove that he does.

God is just an equation,
who equals slavery.
God is just a perception,
of people's misery.
                            (Mindfuckers, Victor Rivera 2004)
theonlygolux
Initiate

Rate theonlygolux

theonlygolux
View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: 2005-02-13 07:34:30 »

Quote from: David Lucifer on 2005-02-11 16:42:04   

Quote:

No, since time began with the big bang it doesn't make sense to ask what came before. It is said that it is like asking what is north of the north pole.

I know this - my question was purely for rhetorical purposes.  We don't know how the Big Bang happened, and until we do we haven't answered some of the questions that people with religious beliefs will hold up and claim to have an answer to.

knives
Initiate

Rate knives

knives
View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #9 on: 2005-02-14 09:10:35 »

Still, the big bang does not strive to prove whether god exists or not, it attempts to explain how the universe started. This might disprove the bible explanation but some still ask, who placed those things in order for the big bang to happen? So if the big bang is proven, it will still not "kill god".

God is just an equation,
who equals slavery.
God is just a perception,
of people's misery.
                            (Mindfuckers, Victor Rivera 2004)
David Lucifer
Archon

Rate David Lucifer

Enlighten me.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #10 on: 2005-02-14 11:06:31 »

Quote from: knives on 2005-02-14 09:10:35   

Still, the big bang does not strive to prove whether god exists or not, it attempts to explain how the universe started. This might disprove the bible explanation but some still ask, who placed those things in order for the big bang to happen? So if the big bang is proven, it will still not "kill god".

Quite the opposite in fact. Without a big bang the universe existed forever in the past and there is no room for a god. With the big bang, the universe has a beginning and something for god to do.
theonlygolux
Initiate

Rate theonlygolux

theonlygolux
View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: 2005-02-14 12:45:14 »

Which brings us back to the original point.  I fwe can prove the cause of the Big Bang or simply how it came about without resorting to an uncaused causer or mystical being then we have knocked away another chock supporting  theistic religion...

deadletter-j
Initiate

Rate deadletter-j

How many Engstrom's does it take?

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #12 on: 2005-02-14 14:13:06 »

If we find out that humans from the future went back and caused the Big Bang, does that support my personal theory that in a short time we will view the collective we, the part of us that is greater than the sum of its parts, to be this 'god' we search for?

It even fits the jewish model, in which the moshiach will come soon, AND we're not allowed to worship any human being.

So maybe we'll let ourselves point to the god in the collective?

Hijacking everything ever knew about anything.
David Lucifer
Archon

Rate David Lucifer

Enlighten me.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #13 on: 2005-02-15 10:34:28 »

Quote from: deadletterb on 2005-02-14 14:13:06   

If we find out that humans from the future went back and caused the Big Bang, does that support my personal theory that in a short time we will view the collective we, the part of us that is greater than the sum of its parts, to be this 'god' we search for?

I don't doubt some will come to view the collective as a god, perhaps some already do. But what do you mean "we" will?
SacredVice
Neophyte

So what?!
sacred_vice
View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #14 on: 2005-02-15 20:54:14 »

Cada um sabe a dor e a delícia de ser o que é!
Pages: [1] 2 Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to: