logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-04-24 14:00:31 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Everyone into the pool! Now online... the VirusWiki.

Church of Virus BBS
  General
  Evolution and Memetics

The memetic fitness of CoV
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: The memetic fitness of CoV  (Read 4716 times)
Matt Arnold
Magister

Rate Matt Arnold

The Electric Monk
145919418 145919418    nemorathwald nemorathwald
View Profile WWW E-Mail
The memetic fitness of CoV
« on: 2004-05-22 14:06:08 »

There are some popular series of books called Such and Such "For Dummies" and "The Complete Idiot's Guide" to Such and Such. We need CoV to be easier to enter. Religions and other movements get active participation to the degree that they make it easy for totally unfamiliar newcomers to join, and rope them into becoming active. The Church of Virus is currently full of obstructive flaming hoops to jump through, which in the interest of memetic superiority must be removed. Neophytes will not hunt us down to be infected, we must bring Virus to them.

1. Register www.churchofvirus.org and have it transfer to the existing URL. I will cheerfully donate money for this. "Virus.lucifer.com" is so memetically unviable as a mnemonic device, that it immediately dies in the environment of the brain. Over the past couple of years, every time I want to check on the site, I have to Google it because I can't remember the URL.

2. Put a link to this BBS on the navigation images of the homepage. Google is the only way I ever learned of the existance this BBS. That's staggeringly memetically unfit.

3. Put a link to the Wiki on the navigation images of the homepage. In order to read the Wiki, I had to repeatedly refresh the BBS index page until it appeared in the newsbar.

4. Include in the Wiki page about Meridion how to get your BBS name listed in Meridion. I finally was told today that I have to rate other people in order to get on the list. This is opposite to intuition, but it's fine as long as it is clearly explained. I naturally expected, like anyone else would expect, to not be able to vote until after I was already on the list.

5. Make an FAQ about how to use Virus social software, including all the above information.

6. Be responsive to neophytes' questions, make them feel welcome and get them actively involved. If you become too busy to answer e-mails and private messages, transfer the responsibility to someone else. I volunteer to take a turn.

7. Plaster the cork boards at local university kiosks, comic book shops, game stores and libraries with print ads for Virus. Leave the University of Michigan of Ann Arbor to me, I'll take care of it.

I am happy to do whatever I can to help in any of these tasks. As soon as I have enough reputation to gain access to the Wiki I will be a contributor of a lot of work in making Virus more neophyte-friendly. Give me heavy lifting, give me anything, but take the shackles off of people's hands to help out the Church of Virus.

Any other customer satisfaction comments from neophytes?
Report to moderator   Logged

He believed in a door. The door was the way to... to... The Door was The Way. Good. Capital letters were always the best way of dealing with things you didn't have a good answer to.
Atheist Crusader
Magister

Rate Atheist Crusader

You can't catch what you can't see
snakehead9
View Profile E-Mail
Re:The memetic fitness of CoV
« Reply #1 on: 2004-05-24 00:20:40 »

I think that in addition to all of this, we need to create some sort of hard copy of all of the "Answers to big questions," along with the "Viran Virtues" and "Senseless Sins."  Perhaps this could all be fitted onto a flyer with some sort of graphics attached.  I could draft something up and post it some places around here (like maybe the UW, and definitely my school).

Let me know if any of you think this is a good idea.  I think spreading the word about Virus would be very very good for the world, and perhaps some sort of detailed explanation as to why faith makes no sense when talking about religious beliefs could be added to this flyer as well.

I am just throwing out ideas, as I often do, and would appreciate any feedback you guys have.

-Atheist Crusader
David Lucifer
Archon

Rate David Lucifer

Enlighten me.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #2 on: 2004-05-24 11:13:00 »

Quote from: Matt Arnold on 2004-05-22 14:06:08   

2. Put a link to this BBS on the navigation images of the homepage. Google is the only way I ever learned of the existance this BBS. That's staggeringly memetically unfit.

Perhaps you missed the giant link to the BBS on the top right hand corner of every page? 
David Lucifer
Archon

Rate David Lucifer

Enlighten me.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #3 on: 2004-05-24 11:18:30 »

1. Register www.churchofvirus.org and have it transfer to the existing URL. I will cheerfully donate money for this. "Virus.lucifer.com" is so memetically unviable as a mnemonic device, that it immediately dies in the environment of the brain. Over the past couple of years, every time I want to check on the site, I have to Google it because I can't remember the URL.

Good point. I have just registered churchofvirus.net and churchofvirus.org. They will point to the site by tomorrow. Bill Roh still owns churchofvirus.com. Perhaps we can convince him to point it to our IP address. In any event I will try to pick up the registration for the .com when it expires next month.
David Lucifer
Archon

Rate David Lucifer

Enlighten me.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #4 on: 2004-05-24 12:08:47 »

3. Put a link to the Wiki on the navigation images of the homepage. In order to read the Wiki, I had to repeatedly refresh the BBS index page until it appeared in the newsbar.

I added a link to the wiki in the BBS banner next to the current time.
Matt Arnold
Magister

Rate Matt Arnold

The Electric Monk
View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #5 on: 2004-05-24 13:23:08 »

Awesome! Thank you!

You know what, I feel stupid, but I really did overlook the link to the BBS on the website. All this time I've been "seeing" it as part of the background decoration of the site. (Which is very attractive might I add.) This may have been for years depending on how long it's been up there, including the many times that I went to the site specifically hoping to find the messageboard. D'oh! The phrase "BBS" has needlessly fallen out of usage and become unfamiliar to a lot of people. Perhaps you need a line saying "The Church of Virus has a messageboard forum. Click here:"

He believed in a door. The door was the way to... to... The Door was The Way. Good. Capital letters were always the best way of dealing with things you didn't have a good answer to.
Matt Arnold
Magister

Rate Matt Arnold

The Electric Monk
View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #6 on: 2004-05-25 11:51:09 »

I definitely think the explanation line for the image is called for, to enhance the bait and the hook.

First, the acronyms are a poor bait. Everyone who I've shown it to has asked, "what do the letters cov bbs stand for?"

Second, it would provide a hook. The image lacks what advertisers refer to as a "call to action." It needs to somehow get across the message, "click here; I exist to be clicked on.

Atheist Crusader
Magister

Rate Atheist Crusader

You can't catch what you can't see
snakehead9
View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #7 on: 2004-05-27 01:36:28 »

This thread and my own completely random thoughts inspired me to write a set of questions that one could ask about any meme-complex they were part of as a way of evaluating it.  Rather than provide my own answers (as I am inexperienced in both Virus and memetics relative to others here), I will ask the crowd for opinions on the answers to my questions.  Remember to include things not explicitly stated, but instead subtly implied as well when answering.  They are as follows:

1. Bait: What benefits do we promise to our adherents? Can we deliver them?

2. Hook: How effectively do we induce propagation?

3. Threat: How do we encourage adherence and proper propagation of memes?  Is this ethical? Can we improve this?

4. Infection Strategy:  How are we promoting the spread of our memes via people who don't necessarily agree with them? (making them interesting, etc.)

5. Vaccime:  How do we protect adherents from opposing (read: demonstratably wrong) viewpoints?  Is this way valid?

6. Meme-complex: How well does this all work together as a coherent system? What can we do to improve it?

Hope this stimulates real conversation and isn't a rehash of anything we've already done.  I will post my personal answers to these questions after I have received some sort of response.
uuuuuuu
Neophyte

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #8 on: 2004-06-25 00:59:57 »

[[ author reputation (0.00) beneath threshold (3)... display message ]]

notquitemale
Neophyte

What I don't know hurts me less than what I do.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2004-11-25 12:24:48 »

deadletter-j
Initiate

Rate deadletter-j

How many Engstrom's does it take?

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #10 on: 2005-02-09 20:57:03 »

In order to parse the fundamentals of the CoV, I would argue that we need some clean paper to work on.

We need a place to talk in which the boards are empty. Can the CoV create some space for such work?

I would argue that it needs to be outside of the spaces already created, in order to remain meta.

-b

Hijacking everything ever knew about anything.
David Lucifer
Archon

Rate David Lucifer

Enlighten me.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #11 on: 2005-02-12 12:30:29 »

Quote from: deadletterb on 2005-02-09 20:57:03   

In order to parse the fundamentals of the CoV, I would argue that we need some clean paper to work on.

We need a place to talk in which the boards are empty. Can the CoV create some space for such work?

I would argue that it needs to be outside of the spaces already created, in order to remain meta.

It can be done with a fair amount of effort. I'm willing to listen to your argument.
deadletter-j
Initiate

Rate deadletter-j

How many Engstrom's does it take?

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #12 on: 2005-02-19 18:57:11 »

Okay. I am going to approach this idea from the standpoint of PEOPLE.

Let's suppose we had a line on something important to humanity.

I believe I have a line on something important to humanity - I call it 'The Metavirus'

The Church of the Virus believes it has a line on something important to humanity - it's called 'memetics'.

The Level 3 list believes it has a line on something important to humanity - it's called 'Richard Brodie's Communication Model'

The Dead Letter Truck & affiliated projects believes it has a line on something important to humanity - the Pirate Mail system and the Pirate Movie projects.

Not In Our Name Seattle has protests

Food Not Bombs has guerrilla feeding of the poor.

Now take those that we wouldn't necessarily associate with -

Nike
Starbucks
Ad Executives
Militaries
McDonald's

They also believe that they have something important to the world. Collectively all of the above have many lines of interconnections, structures, The WTO, etc. They bind it all into a cohesive whole.

If that is one pole, then disenfranchised people are the other. Everyone everywhere seems to be talking about what we would like to do. With ourselves, our lives, our cities, our planet, our everything.

This is Vision. Every human being has one.  When we talk in any of the meta languages - Richard Brodie's, or Freudian, or positive I-messages, or the language of intent, or any of a whole lot of very similar articulations, we do it because it helps communication, because it speaks to Vision.

So let's suppose we get a person talking about their Vision. In this day and age, the students, the adults, everyone, everywhere, seems to have difficulty articulating their vision.

I interpret the reason to be because we are entering a phase of great decision making. We Can't See the future right now. So if a person can be gotten to talk about the future, and the memeticist says, "Oh! I get that! That is as...." The person is so hungry for validation that they will naturally knit them together.

I am sad to write it out as manipulation, and yet I do because I know that on a root level, the conversation about memetics is wrapped up in the ethics of manipulation.

Words are starting to flow, in the local language, ideas of the CoV.

Who am I?

My name is Benjamin Grad. I have a little boy named Ari. I said to Ari on Thursday,

"Ari!  We're taking over the world so fast that by the time you are ready to use it, I'll be done!"

"Ari said, 'Papa? How about, you take over your half, and I will take over my half. We could meet up some times!"

Ari is getting good at inserting things into my brain. Of thinking through action and reaction on how I will react so that, by the time that I notice, I have already been hit with the information from several different directions.

This week:  Ann Arbor.

Hijacking everything ever knew about anything.
fishsuit
Initiate

Rate fishsuit

Bananaramapajamas
fishsuit
View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #13 on: 2005-04-17 23:55:24 »

I think the memetic fitness of CoV is high.  Perhaps it will prove more robust than other organizations that provide no tangible service (save the tshirts for sale).  My recomendation for improving the CoV is this:

Land!  If there is no center, there is no religion.  We need a mecca, we need a temple.  Then we need a second and then a third.  First let's concentrate on that key ingredient, cause i can't see this thing surviving forever as an internet chat group. 
Sporky023
Neophyte

Lucius

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #14 on: 2005-05-03 04:24:13 »

Test yer mettle!  Drop yer bombs in the fine evoluationary forums of uneducatedtruth.com
www.uneducatedtruth.com/forum1
Pages: [1] 2 Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to: