logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-04-18 01:21:40 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Everyone into the pool! Now online... the VirusWiki.

Church of Virus BBS
  General
  Evolution and Memetics

Start of Life or how can the recursion possibly start ?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: Start of Life or how can the recursion possibly start ?  (Read 3236 times)
Wonko
Neophyte

I'm a hardcore Atheist

View Profile E-Mail
Start of Life or how can the recursion possibly start ?
« on: 2003-09-27 10:03:22 »

[[ author reputation (0.00) beneath threshold (3)... display message ]]

Report to moderator   Logged

Wonko
localroger
Magister

Rate localroger

Never!

View Profile E-Mail
Re:Start of Life or how can the recursion possibly start ?
« Reply #1 on: 2003-09-29 21:22:16 »

You are looking for Chaos Theory.

To recast the question of life in less emotionally charged terms, you are asking how complex forms can spontaneously emerge without design in a simple system.  The answer is that this can happen in any system which (a) contains information and (b) is subject to iterative processing, e.g. a mathematical operation is performed on the system, then the result of the operation replaces the original system, and the operation is performed again.  Lather, rinse, repeat until interesting.

The universe is such a system, since it (a) contains information which (b) is modified over an interval of time by various relatively simple momentum and force operations to create a "new" universe which takes the place of the old one, hence to undergo yet another transforming moment of time.

Such systems can be amazingly simple.  The system that draws the Mandelbrot Fractal consists of two lines of code, yet creates so much detail that it is literally explored like an alien world.  To get a feel for how this works get a fractal-drawing program like Fractint and just play with it.  After awhile the emergence of life won't seem so miraculous or hard to explain any more.
Wonko
Neophyte

I'm a hardcore Atheist

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #2 on: 2003-09-30 16:14:23 »

Wonko
Epistaxis
Neophyte

drmoreau999
View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #3 on: 2003-09-30 17:10:58 »

Sum ergo cogito
localroger
Magister

Rate localroger

Never!

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #4 on: 2003-09-30 20:13:53 »

Quote from: Wonko on 2003-09-30 16:14:23   

I think what you describe is Evolution, isn't it? 

No, evolution is what happens after self-replication starts.  Chaos is how you get systems complex enough to self-replicate from a simple system.

Fractals aren't about complex numbers, and you can generate the Mandelbrot Set without even mentioning them -- you can do it all in terms of X and Y.  The point behind chaos theory is that it shows how a simple system driven by simple rules can create complex forms.  Even if the "real" system is different, that's what you need to start the ball rolling; once you've got a form complex enough to self-replicate evolution does the rest.
Wonko
Neophyte

I'm a hardcore Atheist

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #5 on: 2003-10-01 05:10:49 »

Wonko
Hermit
Archon

Rate Hermit

Prime example of a practically perfect person

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: 2003-10-01 16:23:17 »

A collection of appropriate atoms, under the right circumstances will form molecules. This follows from the nature of physics and atoms, and should not be surprising. So for example, few gasses are found in monoatomic form. Intead we expect to find e.g. Hydrogen in the form of H2 molecules.

In the same way, natural forces govern the fact that molecules will combine to minimize the energy state between them, forming clusters or crystals. Again, no surprises here. For example, a hypercooled, supersaturated salt solution, will, given one crystal of salt added to it, rapidly "condense" to form a much larger crystal (and release heat), minimising the energy in the solution.

Given a suitable mix of molecules and a source of energy, the results can be unexpectedly complex. In the famous "Miller experiment", an electric discharge (as we would see from lightening) was applied to a simple mixture of methane, ammonia, water vapor, and hydrogen (molecules that would have been present in abundance in the atmosphere of prebiotic Earth). Within two weeks, a vast number of molecules had formed in this experiment, including "biochemically significant" compounds such as amino acids, hydroxy acids, and urea.

Now consider that this was a pair of flasks with a capacity of a few hundred ml, not a planetary volume. And consider that it the period involved was a few weeks, not a geological era. Given a significant number of molecules, energy and time, rather than unlikely (even if the chance for any one to form is minute), the formation of a large number of "self-replicating" molecules is inevitable. Even if the odds were say, 1 in a billion (109) against it happening in a year (and we know that in a small flask, two weeks is enough time to form amino acids, the building blocks of DNA), so the odds are much better), with trillions (1012)of molecules and millions (106) of years involved, the odds would be good that billions (109) of such molecules would form. And of course, once the first self replicating molecule forms, it would replicate itself until it ran out of material or energy, or some disaster occurred which would wipe it and its descendents out. But with this happening in millions of locations, sooner or later, replicators would meet, compete, swap molecules, and evolve. What we would call evolution.

But the replication started under the chaotic* conditions before evolution began. Of course, life on earth may not have happened this way, viable replicators from elsewhere may have arrived on a comet or meoteorite (not impossible). But if that happened, then those replicators could have formed this way.

Is this what you were asking about?

Hermit

*Noise is a condition where nothing is predictable as there are no rules governing interaction. Brownian motion, thermal noise and particle creation and evaporation are examples of true noise. In a system where there are constraints placed on the noise, even very simple "rules" can produce very complex, results which show a clear tendency towards certain trends (known as strange-attractors). For example, Robert May's population growth model is the following simple equation:

yt + 1 = ryt(1 - yt)

Where:
    yt= population at time t
    yt + 1 = population at time t + 1
    r = population growth factor (reproductive rate)

In the graph below, for values of r < 3, the graph shows a single steady state population. For values of 3 < r < 3.57 the population alternates between 2 or more values. When r > 3.57 chaotic population levels result.

Y: y
        X: r

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion. - Steven Weinberg, 1999
Wonko
Neophyte

I'm a hardcore Atheist

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #7 on: 2003-10-02 04:26:00 »

Wonko
Epidemic
Neophyte

You've Been Governated!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2003-10-25 14:00:15 »

Looking to the skies does not change one's distance from the Heavens.
referent
Adept

Rate referent

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #9 on: 2003-10-29 09:59:33 »

Wonko,

It might be helpful if you download some good "Conway's Game of Life" software, and play a bit without reading much about it. 

Then read about gliders, eaters, etc... and play with those.  I know that there are actually some implementations of Universal Turing Machines that run on that substrate, made up of those simpler components as well.

This may be catalytic in developing a fuller appreciation for the dynamics mentioned above by Hermit.

-referent
David Lucifer
Archon

Rate David Lucifer

Enlighten me.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #10 on: 2003-10-29 10:32:33 »

Life32 for windows is pretty good.
http://psoup.math.wisc.edu/Life32.html
Wonko
Neophyte

I'm a hardcore Atheist

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #11 on: 2003-11-30 17:06:15 »

Wonko
David Lucifer
Archon

Rate David Lucifer

Enlighten me.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #12 on: 2003-11-30 18:35:49 »

Quote from: Wonko on 2003-11-30 17:06:15   

Many thanks for the link to life32, David, and many thanks for your website!

I programmed the game of life on a Osborne Z80 computer in assembler some 25 years ago, it is quite funny.

The first time I saw game of life was on a friend's TRS-80 model 1 (also with a Z80 processor) in 1979. I remember thinking it was the stupidest game I'd ever seen 
Wonko
Neophyte

I'm a hardcore Atheist

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #13 on: 2003-12-01 04:04:13 »

Wonko
David Lucifer
Archon

Rate David Lucifer

Enlighten me.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #14 on: 2003-12-01 09:38:13 »

Quote from: Wonko on 2003-12-01 04:04:13   

It would be interesting to see a game of life which is really worth this name, that is, which is based on Evolution.  But I'm sure the complexity of its rules must be very much higher to get something working.

You may be interested to check out Tom Ray's Tierra. I haven't followed it for awhile but I see v6.01 was just released last month. It is good to see ongoing devleopment.
Pages: [1] 2 Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to: