logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-04-18 16:07:57 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Donations now taken through PayPal

Church of Virus BBS
  General
  Philosophy & Religion

Favorite Philosophers / Philosophy Books
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: Favorite Philosophers / Philosophy Books  (Read 1884 times)
Shpongled
Magister

Rate Shpongled

Are you Shpongled?

View Profile
Favorite Philosophers / Philosophy Books
« on: 2015-02-23 23:51:59 »

I'm interested in what everyone's favorites philosophers / books on philosophy are.  I'm looking for some recommendations to add to my reading list. 

I've been on a bit of an eastern kick lately-- been reading a lot of Alan Watts, Dalai Lama, and Lao Tzu.  Since I'm about to be immersed in eastern culture I've been reading a lot of the books that are the foundations to the various religions and philosophies of the area.

These have been thing things that have grabbed me most recently...

The Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are - Alan Watts
http://www.leary.ru/download/watts/Book%20On%20The%20Taboo%20Against%20Knowing%20Who%20You%20Are.pdf

The Wisdom of Insecurity - Alan Watts

A Brief History of Time - Stephen Hawking

Vagabonding - Rolf Potts (A weird mix of advice, resources, and philosophy as it pertains to backpacking.)

Tao Te Ching - Lao Tzu
Report to moderator   Logged
Fritz
Archon

Rate Fritz

View Profile WWW E-Mail
Re:Favorite Philosophers / Philosophy Books
« Reply #1 on: 2015-02-26 13:32:24 »

It is nice to see a sentient being other then Lucifer wandering the hallowed catacomb's of CoV. I was beginning to feel like the last living cell in a dying organism. Even though I lurked in the shadows from 1996 onward, but didn't find the self confidence to post till much much later, I have no idea of Shpongled's heritage, but if you tangled with Hermit and Mermaid and lived to tell my hat is off to you. The cuffs to the back of the head are familiar to me and in the end were appreciated as well.

Philosophy and Philosophers for me are in the crannies and nooks, very often in the subtext of their work in other endeavours. The ones that societies have brought forward as 'true', I touch with kid gloves in the same way I look at the bible; with interest as a social document to help explain where we are and how some Memes might have evolved.

With that caveat an incomplete, unordered list, that has had an impacted on my world view:

The Aryan Christ
A great attempt at a biography of Carl Jung, surrounded by the story of the times; the wealthy families of Europe and the Americas, free love, sex in the hay under the life giving Sun, Freud and Adler.
-Richard Noll- 
Random House,
ISBN 0-679-449450    

Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch
-Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman-
Gollancz (UK) / Workman (U.S.) Ace, 1996
ISBN 0-575-04800-X

The Doors of Perception -Aldous Huxley-
https://www.maps.org/images/pdf/books/HuxleyA1954TheDoorsOfPerception.pdf

123 infinity -George Gamow-
http://selfdefinition.org/science/25-greatest-science-books-of-all-time/10.%20George%20Gamow%20-%20One%20Two%20Three...%20Infinty%20%281947%29%281988%29.pdf

Chrysalids -John Wyndham-
http://hrsbstaff.ednet.ns.ca/engramja/ENG_11/The%20Chrysalids.pdf

Murke's Collected Silences  aka Doktor Murkes gesammeltes Schweigen
-Heinrich Theodor Böll-

Slavoj Zizek's ideas I am currently wandering through, and enjoying the romp. The thread heads off in multiple directions with lots of rocks to look under and notions to challenges my thought processes.
http://www.lacan.com/zizekother.htm

Cheers

Fritz

« Last Edit: 2015-02-26 13:57:52 by Fritz » Report to moderator   Logged

Where there is the necessary technical skill to move mountains, there is no need for the faith that moves mountains -anon-
Shpongled
Magister

Rate Shpongled

Are you Shpongled?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2015-02-26 15:27:25 »

I've been reading through the Red Book by Carl Jung... what a trip!  I just recently read doors of perception and highly related to it.

Thanks for your suggestions!  Adding them to my book list!  If you could only pick 1, which one would you recommend the most? 
Fritz
Archon

Rate Fritz

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #3 on: 2015-02-27 00:36:09 »

Since you seem well down the esoteric road 

This just framed science and mathematics for me like nothing else, it is brilliant and totally understandable.
123 infinity -George Gamow-
http://selfdefinition.org/science/25-greatest-science-books-of-all-time/10.%20George%20Gamow%20-%20One%20Two%20Three...%20Infinty%20%281947%29%281988%29.pdf

This book had incredible impact on me as a teenager. Re-reading gave me as much pleasure today.
We are not our parents and our children are not us.
Chrysalids -John Wyndham-
http://hrsbstaff.ednet.ns.ca/engramja/ENG_11/The%20Chrysalids.pdf

Both are free PDFs

Cheers

Fritz
« Last Edit: 2015-02-27 00:41:37 by Fritz » Report to moderator   Logged

Where there is the necessary technical skill to move mountains, there is no need for the faith that moves mountains -anon-
David Lucifer
Archon

Rate David Lucifer

Enlighten me.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #4 on: 2015-02-27 11:47:55 »

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank Fritz for pretty much keeping this CoV forum alive the last few years and congratulate him on earning the title Archon with his  increase in Meridion reputation past the 8.0 threshold.

David Lucifer
Archon

Rate David Lucifer

Enlighten me.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #5 on: 2015-02-27 11:54:53 »

My favourite philosopher by a wide margin is Dan Dennett

Some of my fave books:

• Darwin's Dangerous Idea (about evolutionary theory)
  • Breaking The Spell (about religion)
  • Freedom Evolves (about free will)
  • Consciousness Explained (you can guess)
David Lucifer
Archon

Rate David Lucifer

Enlighten me.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #6 on: 2015-02-27 21:11:13 »

Or for more practical philosophy I highly recommend Guide to the Good Life.
Fritz
Archon

Rate Fritz

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #7 on: 2015-02-28 11:33:23 »

Quote from: David Lucifer on 2015-02-27 11:47:55   

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank Fritz for pretty much keeping this CoV forum alive the last few years and congratulate him on earning the title Archon with his  increase in Meridion reputation past the 8.0 threshold.

Very Cool. Thank you oh dark lord of the realm.

So does this mean the bevy of voluptuous amazonian beauties are coming to take me away and force me to do unspeakable acts of sensual pleasure I could only imagine in my wildest fantasies, as was hinted at during my initiation ?

ahem .... cough .... Fritz

David Lucifer
Archon

Rate David Lucifer

Enlighten me.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #8 on: 2015-03-03 09:20:25 »

Quote from: Fritz on 2015-02-28 11:33:23   

So does this mean the bevy of voluptuous amazonian beauties are coming to take me away and force me to do unspeakable acts of sensual pleasure I could only imagine in my wildest fantasies, as was hinted at during my initiation ?

Um, yeah... that's the ticket. 
David Lucifer
Archon

Rate David Lucifer

Enlighten me.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #9 on: 2015-03-04 09:15:56 »

Quote from: David Lucifer on 2015-02-27 21:11:13   

Or for more practical philosophy I highly recommend Guide to the Good Life.

The aforementioned book is about the ancient Greek philosophy of Stoicism and applying it to modern life. I just discovered a new web site on the same topic >> https://howtobeastoic.wordpress.com/

Shpongled
Magister

Rate Shpongled

Are you Shpongled?

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2015-03-08 15:21:25 »

Awesome!  Thank you all so much for the suggestions!  I've downloaded most of the suggested books .  Hopefully between now and the time I return to the states I'll have a few knocked out. 

And congrats Fritz, and thanks for keeping things alive here! 

I'm guessing forum registration doesn't exactly work anymore based on when I signed up.  Maybe purposely because of all the bots trying to join?  Maybe we could get this upgraded to a new version of SMF?  I'd be willing to give a hand with that...
Fritz
Archon

Rate Fritz

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #11 on: 2015-03-08 23:00:18 »

Book/Lecture: not exactly philosophy but one of those vales that get lifted and help us question want we are capable of if we look and listen to the planet and read the signs.

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/ideas/the-2009-cbc-massey-lectures-the-wayfinders-why-ancient-wisdom-matters-in-the-modern-world-1.2946883

The 2009 CBC Massey Lectures, "The Wayfinders: Why Ancient Wisdom Matters in the Modern World"

The Wayfinders is a profound celebration of the wonder of human genius and spirit as brought into being by culture.

Of the 7,000 languages spoken today, fully half may disappear in our lifetimes. This does not have to happen. The other cultures of the world are not failed attempts to be modern, failed attempts to be us. Each is a unique and profound answer to a fundamental question: What does it mean to be human and alive? When asked that question the peoples of the world respond with 7,000 sources of knowledge and wisdom, history and intuition which collectively comprise humanity's repertoire for dealing with all the challenges that we'll face as a species in the coming centuries. Every culture deserves a place at the council of the human experience.

Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to: