logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-04-24 09:05:10 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Open for business: The CoV Store!

Church of Virus BBS
  General
  Philosophy & Religion

street epistemology
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: street epistemology  (Read 5576 times)
David Lucifer
Archon

Rate David Lucifer

Enlighten me.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
street epistemology
« on: 2013-01-20 03:44:32 »

Doxastic Closure and its enemies (us)

« Last Edit: 2013-01-20 03:45:43 by David Lucifer » Report to moderator   Logged
Fritz
Archon

Rate Fritz

View Profile WWW E-Mail
Re:street epistemology
« Reply #1 on: 2013-01-20 17:31:38 »

[Fritz] Enjoyed the talk. He did fall into the 'Hitchean' trap of using flogged to death examples such as Burka's and JC's bones that the huddled masses felt somewhat superior about. But then pleasing your audience does enure further gigs, which is a good thing in this case I think.

The Word DOXA intrigued me so I did the usual quick a dirty snooping.

Source : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doxa

Doxa, a philosopheme

Plato tended to oppose knowledge to doxa, which led to the classical opposition of error to truth, which has since become a major concern in Western philosophy. (However, in the Theaetetus and in the Meno, Plato has Socrates suggest that knowledge is orthos doxa for which one can provide a logos, thus initiating the traditional definition of knowledge as "justified true belief".) Thus, error is considered in Occident as pure negativity, which can take various forms, among them the form of illusion. As such, doxa may ironically be defined as the "philosopher's sin". In classical rhetoric, it is contrasted with episteme. However, Aristotle used the term endoxa (commonly held beliefs accepted by the wise and by elder rhetors) to acknowledge the beliefs of the city. Endoxa is a more stable belief than doxa, because it has been "tested" in argumentative struggles in the Polis by prior interlocutors. The use of endoxa in the Stagirite's Organon can be found in Aristotle's Topics and Rhetoric.

Use in sociology and anthropology

Pierre Bourdieu, in his Outline of a Theory of Practice,[4] used the term doxa to denote what is taken for granted in any particular society. The doxa, in his view, is the experience by which “the natural and social world appears as self-evident”.[5] It encompasses what falls within the limits of the thinkable and the sayable (“the universe of possible discourse”), that which “goes without saying because it comes without saying”.[6] The humanist instances of Bourdieu's application of notion of doxa are to be traced in Distinction where doxa sets limits on social mobility within the social space through limits imposed on the characteristic consumption of each social individual: certain cultural artefacts are recognized by doxa as being inappropriate to actual social position, hence doxa helps to petrify social limits, the "sense of one's place", and one's sense of belonging, which is closely connected with the idea that "this is not for us" (ce n´est pas pour nous). Thus individuals become voluntary subjects of those incorporated mental structures that deprive them of more deliberate consumption.[7]

Doxa and opinion denote, respectively, a society's taken-for-granted, unquestioned truths, and the sphere of that which may be openly contested and discussed.[8]

OR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeBR7fZs2HM
Report to moderator   Logged

Where there is the necessary technical skill to move mountains, there is no need for the faith that moves mountains -anon-
David Lucifer
Archon

Rate David Lucifer

Enlighten me.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #2 on: 2013-01-25 14:40:34 »

It seems to me that the position the Dr Boghossian is advocating in this talk is that one should take a single ideological position, that is, against doxatic closure for any reason, everything else is open to revision. In other words, the one doxatic closure you should embrace is the one that seals your mind off from the rest.

If that is the case, then maybe we can call that ideological position "dogmatic rationalism".
Fritz
Archon

Rate Fritz

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #3 on: 2013-01-27 10:35:37 »

Quote from: David Lucifer on 2013-01-25 14:40:34   
It seems to me that the position the Dr Boghossian is advocating in this talk is that one should take a single ideological position, that is, against doxatic closure for any reason, everything else is open to revision. In other words, the one doxatic closure you should embrace is the one that seals your mind off from the rest.

If that is the case, then maybe we can call that ideological position "dogmatic rationalism".

[Fritz]I heard, to be able to accept all possibilities at anytime; that there is no absolute just change. So can accepting that there is no position just change, be dogmatic ?
« Last Edit: 2013-01-28 11:29:10 by Fritz » Report to moderator   Logged

Where there is the necessary technical skill to move mountains, there is no need for the faith that moves mountains -anon-
David Lucifer
Archon

Rate David Lucifer

Enlighten me.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #4 on: 2013-01-27 15:36:21 »

Ideologically rejecting doxatic closure prevents stagnation.

MoEnzyme
Acolyte

Rate MoEnzyme

infidel lab animal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 2013-01-27 23:38:35 »

Along this theme . . .
 ideology.jpg

I will fight your gods for food,
Mo Enzyme

(consolidation of handles: Jake Sapiens; memelab; logicnazi; Loki; Every1Hz; and Shadow)

Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to: