logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-03-29 10:57:16 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Check out the IRC chat feature.

Church of Virus BBS
  General
  Philosophy & Religion

The stars died for you
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: The stars died for you  (Read 1660 times)
David Lucifer
Archon

Rate David Lucifer

Enlighten me.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
The stars died for you
« on: 2011-08-01 02:51:55 »

source: http://theageofreason.org/post/352081397/every-atom-in-your-body-came-from-a-star-that

"Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded. And the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics. You are all stardust. You couldn’t be here if stars hadn’t exploded. Because the elements, the carbon, nitrogen, oxygen, iron, all the things that matter for evolution weren’t created at the beginning of time. They were created in the nuclear furnaces of stars. And the only way they could get into your body is if the stars were kind enough to explode. So forget Jesus. The stars died so you could be here today."
Report to moderator   Logged
David Lucifer
Archon

Rate David Lucifer

Enlighten me.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
Re:The stars died for you
« Reply #1 on: 2011-08-01 02:55:48 »

... and this is the most poetic thing I know about biology. Every living thing you have ever encountered is related to you. We are all, literally, family.

Yesterday I was relaxing by a lake with my 4-year old son. He brought me a dragonfly he found on a rock by the shore. It was barely clinging to life, almost drowned. I felt empathy for my 300 millionth cousin and did my best to save it.
« Last Edit: 2011-08-01 03:00:48 by David Lucifer » Report to moderator   Logged
Blunderov
Archon

Rate Blunderov

"We think in generalities, we live in details"

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #2 on: 2011-08-01 06:20:23 »

[Blunderov] If all the elements were created inside stars, what were the stars made of? I'm not being facetious: I'm genuinely curious.
Fritz
Archon

Rate Fritz

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #3 on: 2011-08-01 11:16:01 »

Quote from: Blunderov on 2011-08-01 06:20:23   

[Blunderov] If all the elements were created inside stars, what were the stars made of? I'm not being facetious: I'm genuinely curious.

http://www.universetoday.com/24796/what-are-stars-made-of/
<snip>You might not be surprised to know that stars are made of the same stuff as the rest of the Universe: 73% hydrogen, 25% helium, and the last 2% is all the other elements. That’s it.<snip>

http://www.universetoday.com/8725/metallic-stars-yield-planets/
<snip>Iron and other elements heavier than helium – what astronomers lump together as “metals” – are created by fusion  reactions inside stars and sown into the interstellar medium by spectacular supernova explosions. Thus, while metals were extremely rare in the early history of the Milky Way galaxy, over time, each successive generation of stars became richer in these elements, increasing the chances of forming a planet.<snip>

So, if 'In the beginning' there was Hydrogen and Helium which begot the other elements where did the He and H come from ?

I really like the notion we are all linked to the same cosmic thread, "Star Children"

Cheers

Fritz

Where there is the necessary technical skill to move mountains, there is no need for the faith that moves mountains -anon-
Blunderov
Archon

Rate Blunderov

"We think in generalities, we live in details"

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #4 on: 2011-08-01 13:09:13 »

Quote from: Fritz on 2011-08-01 11:16:01   

[i]So, if 'In the beginning' there was Hydrogen and Helium which begot the other elements where did the He and H come from ?

[Blunderov] Indeed. What process produced those elements?
weddingcoo
Neophyte

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #5 on: 2011-12-05 22:20:17 »

[[ author reputation (0.00) beneath threshold (3)... display message ]]

Shopping for 2012 New Wedding Dresses and wedding gowns here. We offer a wide range of the latest and quality wedding dresses. Buy cheap wedding dresses, wedding gowns for your party now! www.weddingcoo.com
Fritz
Archon

Rate Fritz

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #6 on: 2011-12-05 23:42:28 »

Quote from: weddingcoo on 2011-12-05 22:20:17   

If all the elements were created inside stars, what were the stars made of?

I think you've hit the chicken and egg question on the head. Looks like the Alpha Magnetic Spectrometer project will hint at some answers in the years to come. I did note that since cosmic radiation collisions yields Helium and Hydrogen which is the stuff of stars, but where did the initial cosmic radiation come from

Cheers

Fritz

Calder's Updates

The crazy-seeming aspect of this experiment was that the Alpha Magnetic Spectrometer was also to look for anti-helium nuclei. This took scientists right back to re-examining the axiom of the Sakharov scenario, that all antimatter was wiped out very early in the history of the Universe. If, on the contrary, significant amounts have survived, anti-helium would be a signature. Anti-protons from anti-hydrogen won’t do, because they are too easily made in present-day collisions of ordinary cosmic-ray particles.

The news is that the Alpha Magnetic Spectrometer will fly on the very last Space Shuttle mission before the fleet is mothballed, no earlier than mid-November 2010.

http://ams-02project.jsc.nasa.gov/

Where there is the necessary technical skill to move mountains, there is no need for the faith that moves mountains -anon-
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to: