logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-03-29 10:22:01 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Read the first edition of the Ideohazard

Church of Virus BBS
  General
  Philosophy & Religion

Deepak Chopra embarrasses himself yet again
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: Deepak Chopra embarrasses himself yet again  (Read 668 times)
Blunderov
Archon

Rate Blunderov

"We think in generalities, we live in details"

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« on: 2007-06-06 16:10:42 »

[Blunderov] Love the comments.

neurophilosophy

Filed under: Neuroscience — MC @ 4:20 pm
Chopra has already demonstrated his ignorance of genetics. Now, the pseudoscientific crackpot is claiming that the mind can exist outside the body:

By now everyone is familiar with advances in brain imaging and the fascinating insights being produced in many areas of brain research. Much less known are advances in locating the mind outside the brain.

…Science is about to realize that intelligence is a field effect and that this “mind field” surrounds us on all sides, like the earth’s magnetic field. It is thanks to the mind field that our brains are able to think and also to connect with other minds, not by physical means but invisibly, the way one magnet is connected to every other on earth.

5 Comments »
The best line is “not by physical means but invisibly” (because invisible is the opposite of physical).

Comment by ck — Wednesday, June 6, 2007 @ 4:29 pm

MC, I’m trying to contact you with my mind field. I’m telling you “all your mind fields are belong to us.”

Gee, why is this not working?

Comment by Lisa — Wednesday, June 6, 2007 @ 4:57 pm

ck - yeah…like magnetism is not a physical process.

Lisa - Why are you still calling me by my initials? I told you my full name over the mind field last week…!

Comment by MC — Wednesday, June 6, 2007 @ 5:18 pm

I have read some of his tripe & heard him also (TV, radio, can’t remember). It is hard to sit through but I can see how some of it would be attractive to people who don’t know any better. He always has to go spouting off about the “scientific proof” of whatever garbage he’s serving up, and sprinkling in terms he pulled from real science without having a frikkin’ clue what they mean. He invariably blurts something about “quantum theory” and then I just can’t take it any more.

Connect with other minds? God, I hope not. I was hoping my tin foil hat prevents this kind of thing.

Comment by BGG — Wednesday, June 6, 2007 @ 6:51 pm

Schmidt’s work is so old-school. The next step is obviously to quantify a very important phenomenon: how our “mind fields” control the random shuffle function of our iPods. Because, like, my iPod totally knows what song I want to hear next! The only possible hypothesis is: a significant part of my “mind field” must reside in my iPod.

I suspect a significant part of Chopra’s “mind field” resides in his vacuum cleaner.

Comment by bioephemera — Wednesday, June 6, 2007 @ 7:49 pm

Report to moderator   Logged
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to: