logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-04-19 01:34:38 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Check out the IRC chat feature.

Church of Virus BBS
  General
  Philosophy & Religion

Some rather interesting questions...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: Some rather interesting questions...  (Read 1042 times)
Bass
Magister

Rate Bass

I'm a llama!

View Profile
Some rather interesting questions...
« on: 2007-02-28 10:25:12 »

It seems almost like this place has died recently, its so low in activity and hardly anyone shows up any more to post such great and interesting posts...

...*big sigh*...

So, that is why I came up with this thread. These just came from the top of my head (feel free to post more!) and are meant to be fun/intellectually stimulating so I hope it can raise some activity here, although I myself am by no means perfect

Indeed!

1. Explain mathematically the process of birth... Formulas here.

2. Explain what causes hysterical scoliosis, from a purely scientific perspective. Then explain this with mathematics. This should be the easiest.

3. Explain a PROVEN theory as to why humans haven't evolved from MILLIONS of years or whatever. I heard many ideas saying we were already supposed to have evolved.

4. Explain how mathematics and science are always correct. Explain how trial-and-error isn't right all of the time, and explain why the thoughts of others are considered untrue. Why doesn't 2 + 2 equal a giant platypus?

Prove something from what I have listed here, because, frankly put, nothing comes from nothing.

For example, Big Bang Theory, perpetuation of time, multiple universes... obviously products of Closed Heart Syndrome. If you leave a multi-celled organism in a sterile environment, it won't develop into a toaster, no matter how many years you give it to complete the process.

« Last Edit: 2007-02-28 10:36:15 by Bass » Report to moderator   Logged
Blunderov
Archon

Rate Blunderov

"We think in generalities, we live in details"

View Profile WWW E-Mail
Re:Some rather interesting questions...
« Reply #1 on: 2007-02-28 13:41:26 »

Quote from: Bass on 2007-02-28 10:25:12   

It seems almost like this place has died recently, its so low in activity and hardly anyone shows up any more to post such great and interesting posts...

...*big sigh*...

[Blunderov] I share your concern - to some extent. It goes like that here at Virus sometimes.

On the bright side: 'it is 'better' (beware the Jabberwock my son...") to have constructive silences than it is to have tedious prattle. Then again, it has been rather more than  just a little bit  quiet lately. (Especially now that the Hermit appears to have been inveigled into a seperate 2nd (nth) reality. For now.)

All the questions you posit are strangely interesting. I like them. I much prefer questions to answers don't you?

"1. Explain mathematically the process of birth... Formulas here."

Ian Anderson might suggest that "ten to the power of zero = nothing at all".

Somehow though this does not ring quite true...to me.

Whatever this is, it aint nothing at all.

I think this is what Kant was really trying to say, don't you?
Report to moderator   Logged
Blunderov
Archon

Rate Blunderov

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #2 on: 2007-02-28 14:09:13 »

...2. Explain what causes hysterical scoliosis, from a purely scientific perspective. Then explain this with mathematics. This should be the easiest.

[Blunderov] This jumped belatedly to my attention (God I love the passive voice: some folks just "shape shift": REAL artists "blame shift". Ask any Republican.)

"Twisted Sister" beloved (well ok, somewhat beloved in certain select circles) of the 1980's:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Still_Hungry_%28Twisted_Sister%29

(With regard to the mathematical requirement of the question, is it really necessary for me to point out that that 1980 is a number? Or, for that matter, 4 numbers - if you care to look at it that way? I'm glad we understand one another on this.)
Blunderov
Archon

Rate Blunderov

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #3 on: 2007-02-28 15:59:55 »

If you leave a multi-celled organism in a sterile environment, it won't develop into a toaster, no matter how many years you give it to complete the process.

[Blunderov] Well yah sure. In a sterile environment what do you expect...? But if you were to add a little toast?
Walter Watts
Archon

Rate Walter Watts

Just when I thought I was out-they pull me back in

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #4 on: 2007-02-28 22:59:13 »

[Bass]
<snip>
"For example, Big Bang Theory, perpetuation of time, multiple universes... obviously products of Closed Heart Syndrome. If you leave a multi-celled organism in a sterile environment, it won't develop into a toaster, no matter how many years you give it to complete the process."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We might want to leave off the "theory" part of "Big Bang Theory" in light of this masterpiece of empirical evidence:

http://www.walterwatts.com/images/cobe36.jpg

and whoever stated: "If you leave a multi-celled organism in a sterile environment, it won't develop into a toaster, no matter how many years you give it to complete the process." has obviously never attempted to maintain a swimming pool for even a short, three month summer period.

Walter

PS--Hang in there during these slow periods at CoV Bass. I can assure you it will return to a more active hangout in time.
Right Blunderov? I mean, it will, won't it? It's gonna all be ok isn't it Blunderov? Lucifer? Sat? rhino? Hermit? anyone?
Someone assure me/us/them!

Walter Watts
Tulsa Network Solutions, Inc.

No one gets to see the Wizard! Not nobody! Not no how!
Fox
Archon

Rate Fox

Never underestimate the odds.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2007-03-06 15:33:59 »

Hmm,

Some of these questions seem rather weirdly worded. For one, what do you expect from question 1? A presentation of the dynamics of the stress-energy tensor in vaginal tissue during the passage of a fetus? I'm pretty sure that's not what you want, but considering the detail of the answers I suspect you expect, at the very least you could take the time to word the questions alittle more carefully and specifically.

Anyway, here's my take on question 4: Science isn't always correct; more, science is the continued testing, conjecturing and modelling of how Nature works. Mathematics has turned out to be a great tool for this process. You can never truly prove anything through experiments (in the true, philosophical sense of the word), you can make sure that something is (approximately) true, without any reasonable doubt (few would be willing to jump of a tall building, even though no one can prove with 100% certainty that you would fall to your death). Therefore, there are no "holy" things in science: any theory or hypothesis may be discarded if systematic experimental evidence contradicts it. In short, while there may or not be such a thing as objective scientific truth, there are certainly some things that are blatantly false.

As for the 2 + 2 thing, you're entering the field of "pure" mathematics, which is a somewhat different beast: here you may actually prove things, but this precludes that everybody agrees on certain precise definitions and hypotheses! What does "2" (or any number) mean in this framework? What does "addition" mean? They are abstract concepts, and the answer depends on your above-mentioned, precisely defined definitions and hypotheses! Usually, "2" will have some reference to a given quantity, while "addition" will mean the building up of quantities, resulting in the quantity "4". It's possible to arrive at a different answer such as "a giant platypus" (whatever that may mean within the boundaries of your definitions), but chances are, that your theory is of little practical use or interest.

Hope to have helped,

Fox
« Last Edit: 2007-03-06 15:35:28 by White Fox » Report to moderator   Logged

I've never expected a miracle. I will get things done myself. - Gatsu
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to: