logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-04-19 07:14:19 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Everyone into the pool! Now online... the VirusWiki.

Church of Virus BBS
  General
  Philosophy & Religion

The Law of Attraction phenomena
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: The Law of Attraction phenomena  (Read 1561 times)
deusdiabolus
Magister

Rate deusdiabolus

NEVER underestimate monkey!
641785 641785    deusdiabolus deusdiabolus
View Profile WWW
The Law of Attraction phenomena
« on: 2006-12-17 14:38:37 »

I'm sure that most of you have either encountered or been told about the Australian documentary The Secret, a piece about a "secret" as old as time itself, which is revealed and then expounded upon by a number of philosophers, authors, and motivational speakers.  (If you'd like to see itit, you can look it up on Google Video by searching "label:the secret".)  The Secret, if my post title didn't make it plain already, is the Law of Attraction.  The short form definition, from WikiPedia:

The Law of Attraction states, in a nutshell, like attracts like. In other words, we are like a walking magnet that draws to us anyone or anything that is on the same wavelength. If you’re radiating positive energy, you attract positive people and experiences. If you’re radiating negative energy, you attract negativity.

Now here's where it gets interesting.  According to The Secret (and supported by the concepts presented in the documentary What The Bleep Do We Know? (also locatable on Google Video), the ability to generate a specific frequency with thought has been scientifically documented, and is based in the concept of quantum mechanics.  As these frequencies are broadcast into the aether, they attract similar frequencies and subsequently draw to you the things that you are thinking about.  You think about people you haven't spoken to in a while and they call.  You worry about having a bad day at work, and you have a bad day at work.  All matter is energy, matter can neither be created nor destroyed, and we create our own realities and destinies as we go along.  As I explored more on this concept, I have discovered that there are multiple references to it in various other areas (religious texts, Wallace Wattles' The Science of Getting Rich, published in 1910, and so on).

So the point of my post is this:  I want to know what the rest of the Viriian collective thinks.  Have you found data or information that correlates with this?  Have you had personal experiences with this phenom?  Or do you find this to be questionable?
Report to moderator   Logged

my WR0N9 is LEGEND
Hermit
Archon

Rate Hermit

Prime example of a practically perfect person

View Profile WWW
Re:The Law of Attraction phenomena
« Reply #1 on: 2006-12-17 19:13:52 »

The fragrant bucolic aroma of maturing excreta permeats the environment... My BS meter is firmly pegged in the red.

Nothing at the quantum level can affect the macrolevel, at least not at temperatures humans can survive.

Hermit

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion. - Steven Weinberg, 1999
David Lucifer
Archon

Rate David Lucifer

Enlighten me.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #2 on: 2006-12-19 19:46:27 »

I have seen the "documentary" What The Bleep Do We Know? and my opinion is that Hermit's BS meter is correctly calibrated.
Mr. Yank
Neophyte

soundsrushing@yahoo.com mr.yank@aol.in
View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 2006-12-21 00:32:32 »

[[ author reputation (0.00) beneath threshold (3)... display message ]]

"By believing passionately in something that still does not exist, I've created it...
the non-existent is what I haven't sufficiently desired!"
David Lucifer
Archon

Rate David Lucifer

Enlighten me.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #4 on: 2006-12-25 11:29:10 »

Quote from: yank on 2006-12-21 00:32:32   

I think that we indeed create our own realities.

If you mean our subjective reality when you say our own reality then I agree, your brain creates your experience. If you mean our objective reality, the reality we share, then I don't agree. Which do you mean?
Mr. Yank
Neophyte

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 2006-12-26 05:33:06 »

"By believing passionately in something that still does not exist, I've created it...
David Lucifer
Archon

Rate David Lucifer

Enlighten me.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #6 on: 2006-12-26 22:59:15 »

Quote from: yank on 2006-12-26 05:33:06   

I meant both subjective & objective.

I'm curious to know why you think you're creating our shared reality, and where does that leave me?
Perplextus
Adept

Rate Perplextus

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #7 on: 2006-12-28 08:02:24 »

I recently viewed the film mentioned in the OP, and decided it perhaps leads to paradox.  The film suggested one could "attract" other people, and even cause those people to feel certain emotions.  Yet suppose you have a love-triangle, such that there exist three people Connie, Bob, and Leslie.  Connie is trying to attract Bob, who in turn is trying to attract Leslie, who in turn is trying to attract Connie.  How then would that play out?  Or, suppose Connie and Leslie are BOTH attracting Bob, while Bob is indifferent to both of them?

I was at first tempted by the idea that differences in attractive force would determine the outcome in cases of opposed force, but then it occurred to me that the "will" of human consciousness is a stubborn thing.  In my experience, there is nothing that can change a person's will.  Oh sure, it's easy to change a person's actions...but if a person has set their mind to a conviction, it is only the internal rise of another conviction that can displace it, and there is nothing in the world that can force--through physical necessity or any other sort--the rise or rejection of a conviction.  A person may convince him- or herself that gravity does not exist, and maintain that conviction even during the subsequent lethal fall from a great height that might likely occur under such conviction.  In other words, you can kill me, but you can't make me change my mind. 

So it seems to me that no matter how hard you try, you cannot "attract" a person to love you against their will.  You cannot force your reality upon another person.  Objective reality (if it has any metaphysical status beyond that of a useful subjective construction produced by natural selection) cannot be, so far as I have observed, the creation of an individual.  Am I mistaken?

Praise Bob!
Salamantis
Neophyte

I'm a llama!

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #8 on: 2006-12-28 15:10:02 »

Mr. Yank
Neophyte

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: 2007-01-11 03:01:33 »

deusdiabolus
Magister

Rate deusdiabolus

NEVER underestimate monkey!
641785 641785    deusdiabolus deusdiabolus
View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: 2007-01-11 12:13:53 »

Quote from: David Lucifer on 2006-12-25 11:29:10   

If you mean our subjective reality when you say our own reality then I agree, your brain creates your experience. If you mean our objective reality, the reality we share, then I don't agree. Which do you mean?

I think that we create our subjective reality with our thoughts, which then influences the objective reality resulting from the subjective realities created by those around us.

--------------------------

Another segment of The Secret theorizes that the reason why our world is the way it is is due to the way our thought patterns have developed.  Specifically, instead of thinking positive and encouraging thoughts, we think negative, critical and self-destructive ones.  The theory continues that if we want a better world, we have to reprogram ourselves to think more in the affirmative:  instead of thinking "stop war", think "increase peace"; instead of thinking "no hate", think "more love".  The reason why this is supposed to work is because the Law of Attraction, like most laws of the Universe, is a strictly inclusive law...all thought affects it, not just the thoughts we want to affect it.  So the Universe doesn't understand the concept of no, stop and don't (insert Universe-as-rapist joke here).  Eliminating thoughts of what we don't want to happen will theoretically help us to attract more of what we do want.

my WR0N9 is LEGEND
Walter Watts
Archon

Rate Walter Watts

Just when I thought I was out-they pull me back in

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #11 on: 2007-01-11 16:55:14 »

Quote from: Hermit on 2006-12-17 19:13:52   

The fragrant bucolic aroma of maturing excreta permeats the environment... My BS meter is firmly pegged in the red.

Nothing at the quantum level can affect the macrolevel, at least not at temperatures humans can survive.

Hermit

Breaker 1-9 good buddy old friend ya got yer ears on?

Just wonderin if you had gone and got yerself one o' them new-fangled digital BS meters yet.

I's still runnin with my ol' trusty analog model but been ponderin upgradin.

Watcha think?

Dubya Dubya

Walter Watts
Tulsa Network Solutions, Inc.

No one gets to see the Wizard! Not nobody! Not no how!
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to: