logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-04-17 23:25:00 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Read the first edition of the Ideohazard

Church of Virus BBS
  General
  Philosophy & Religion

Onanism, Religiousity and Politics Redux. God Tells Bush, "Don't Pull Out!"
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: Onanism, Religiousity and Politics Redux. God Tells Bush, "Don't Pull Out!"  (Read 639 times)
Hermit
Archon

Rate Hermit

Prime example of a practically perfect person

View Profile WWW
Onanism, Religiousity and Politics Redux. God Tells Bush, "Don't Pull Out!"
« on: 2006-09-13 23:23:45 »

Bush says U.S. seeing religious reawakening

[Hermit: Perhaps this article should have been entitled, "Bush tells the Religious to Vote Republican." Nonetheless, the imagery was irresistable. "I mean, Boom!"

Let me quote from the wikipedia article on Methodism, as it seems to me that the Anglicans were reasonably acccurate in their analysis (The article includes some interesting commentary on Methodism and slavery not quoted here).
Quote:
The early Methodists ... were notorious for their enthusiastic sermons and often accused of fanaticism... new doctrines ...such as the necessity to salvation of a New Birth, of Justification by Faith, and of the constant and sustained action of the Holy Spirit upon the believer's soul, would produce ill effects upon weak minds. Theophilus Evans, an early critic of the movement, even wrote that it was "the natural Tendency of their Behaviour, in Voice and Gesture and horrid Expressions, to make People mad." In one of his prints, William Hogarth likewise attacked Methodists as "enthusiasts" full of "Credulity, Superstition and Fanaticism."
]

Source: Reuters
Authors: Not Credited
Dated: 2006-09-13

President George W. Bush believes the United States has embarked on the latest great religious awakening of its history.

Bush, who counts on religious conservatives as a key base of political support, was quoted as saying on Tuesday that the United States appeared to be undergoing a cultural change on the scale of that seen in the 1950s and '60s.

"There was a pretty stark change in the culture of the '50s and the '60s. I mean, boom. But I think something is happening here," Bush said at a roundtable with conservative columnists. His words were reported by the National Review magazine.

"I'm not giving you a definitive statement -- it seems like to me there's a Third Awakening with a cultural change," Bush said.

Historians have pointed to periods such as the early 1700s and early 1800s, as times in which religious movements were particularly significant in America.

Those eras are referred to as Great Awakenings [Hermit: Only by Methodists. As is not unusual when religion is involved, this is a massive inversion of language and reality with a clear attempt to subsume the "enlightenment". We should not forget that the ascension of Christianity paralleled the end of most civilization and that the period when the Church ruled the world is often refered to as the 'Dark Ages'. The rise of the enlightenment is recognized as necessarily having gone hand-in-hand with the diminution of the power of the Church], although there is disagreement on how many there have been. In one such period, in the 1730s and 1740s, religious revivals in the United States coincided with similar movements in Germany and England.

An awakening in the 1800s is credited with helping to inspire the movement to abolish slavery in the United States. [Hermit: This is complete nonsense. With the notable exception of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers), religion in the United States was used primarily to justify slavery on the perfectly sensible grounds that the Christian's babble repeatedly tells slaves to be "obedient servants" and never once condemns slavery. The Methodists, while they started out by inheriting John Wesley's disdain for slavery, were no different. Even before the end of the 1790s, "Black Methodists" had begun a series of schisms due to resentment of their second class status in the Methodist church, and these were only partially reunited in the mid to late 1930s, "when slavery was no longer an issue" [ibid]. Nonetheless, it still resulted in a schism amongst the "White Methodists" as some of the more traditional Southern Methodists wanted to maintain their racial purity.]

Bush, a Methodist [Hermit: The reality is that according to William Warren Sweet, "of all the religious bodies in America at the close of the American Revolution, the Methodists were the most insignificant"], often talks about the importance of faith in his life. Some critics seeing this as crossing a line between religion and politics, and his frequent references to religion are viewed with particular unease abroad.

Amid growing U.S. concerns about the Iraq war, The National Review article linked Bush's rejection of a pullout to his religious faith.

"I know it upsets people when I ascribe that to my belief in an Almighty, and that I believe a gift from that Almighty is universal freedom. That's what I believe," Bush said.
« Last Edit: 2006-09-14 08:25:41 by Hermit » Report to moderator   Logged

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion. - Steven Weinberg, 1999
Blunderov
Archon

Rate Blunderov

"We think in generalities, we live in details"

View Profile WWW E-Mail
Re:Onanism, Religiousity and Politics Redux. God Tells Bush, "Don't Pull Out!"
« Reply #1 on: 2006-09-14 05:12:07 »

"There was a pretty stark change in the culture of the '50s and the '60s. I mean, boom. But I think something is happening here," ~ Dubya.

[Blunderov] A subconscious stirring perhaps?

Buffalo Springfield
For What It's Worth
Stephen Stills, 1966

There's something happening here
What it is ain't exactly clear
There's a man with a gun over there
Telling me I got to beware

I think it's time we stop, children, what's that sound
Everybody look what's going down

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Young people speaking their minds