logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-04-24 07:52:16 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Everyone into the pool! Now online... the VirusWiki.

Church of Virus BBS
  General
  Free For All

My Dating profile
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: My Dating profile  (Read 4212 times)
MoEnzyme
Acolyte

Rate MoEnzyme

infidel lab animal

View Profile WWW
My Dating profile
« on: 2010-10-11 13:51:53 »

I live in Texas, which is definitely US Bible belt territory. For almost a decade now I've supplemented my "IRL" dating connections with the convenience of online dating. Right now I'm in a bit of a "down time", in that I simply don't quite have the time or resources to seriously commit to an extensive dating search, although I'd like to at least leave the possibilities open. As a result I've pruned almost everything down to one free online dating site. And yet of course, for this region of the US I have to somehow deal with the issue of religion. Its such a big deal here ESPECIALLY when it comes to such intimate issues like dating. Actually its sometimes a mixed blessing to be an atheist that way, because often atheists and other non-religious people feel especially compelled to resort to online dating. Most of the "real-life" connections available to anyone are so heavily infused with religious culture, it makes any remotely political or philosophical discussions potentially treacherous. You often don't even get the chance to seriously enjoy anyone's company before religion intrudes.

So I've included a short paragraph in my profile about religion. I've tweaked it a lot and I try to keep it as short as possible compared to everything else I have to say for myself, but given the cultural context in this region of the country its an important element to any dating profile. Its easy enough to cue the committed atheists that I'm safe, but that's such a small population that I need to let some of the more moderate cafeteria catholics and protestants know that I'm not interested in serious conflict as well. Of course I don't care if I scare off fundies of any stripe since they are usually a complete waste of my time. So this is my current paragraph. I ended it with the Virian virtues. Let me know what y'all think. I've already edited it a LOT of times, but I'm still very much open to good suggestions.

Quote:
I am an infidel. Which typically means that whatever religion you are, I'm not. I appreciate your community, but I'm much more tolerant of you than I am of any meme-masters, and science is the final measure for truth with me. The word "Atheist" sounds too vague and non-descript, and I'm much more than a mere heretic. I'd say "I'm spiritual but not religious", but there is much more to that sentiment. I'm an infidel with reason, empathy, and vision.

Let me know what you think.

Love,

Mo
« Last Edit: 2010-10-11 14:39:56 by MoEnzyme » Report to moderator   Logged

I will fight your gods for food,
Mo Enzyme

(consolidation of handles: Jake Sapiens; memelab; logicnazi; Loki; Every1Hz; and Shadow)
Fritz
Archon

Rate Fritz

View Profile WWW E-Mail
Re:My Dating profile
« Reply #1 on: 2010-10-12 14:20:26 »

Quote from: MoEnzyme on 2010-10-11 13:51:53   

I live in Texas, which is definitely US Bible belt territory. For almost a decade now I've supplemented my "IRL" dating connections with the convenience of online dating. Right now I'm in a bit of a "down time", in that I simply don't quite have the time or resources to seriously commit to an extensive dating search, I've already edited it a LOT of times, but I'm still very much open to good suggestions.<snip>
<snip>I've already edited it a LOT of times, but I'm still very much open to good suggestions.

Quote:
I am an infidel. Which typically means that whatever religion you are, I'm not. I appreciate your community, but I'm much more tolerant of you than I am of any meme-masters, and science is the final measure for truth with me. The word "Atheist" sounds too vague and non-descript, and I'm much more than a mere heretic. I'd say "I'm spiritual but not religious", but there is much more to that sentiment. I'm an infidel with reason, empathy, and vision.

Love,

Mo

My 2 Cents:

I seek understanding, that typically means whatever religion you are, I'm not. I appreciate your community, but I'm much more tolerant of you than I am of any meme-masters. Learning and knowledge are the final yard sticks to truth for me. I'd say "I'm spiritual but not religious", but there is much more to that sentiment. Interactions between people are about communicating, not belief and blind faith. I am a social being with reason, empathy, vision and not all the answers.

Hugs

Fritz
Report to moderator   Logged

Where there is the necessary technical skill to move mountains, there is no need for the faith that moves mountains -anon-
MoEnzyme
Acolyte

Rate MoEnzyme

infidel lab animal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 2010-10-12 21:57:38 »

Quote from: Fritz on 2010-10-12 14:20:26   

Quote from: MoEnzyme on 2010-10-11 13:51:53   

I live in Texas, which is definitely US Bible belt territory. For almost a decade now I've supplemented my "IRL" dating connections with the convenience of online dating. Right now I'm in a bit of a "down time", in that I simply don't quite have the time or resources to seriously commit to an extensive dating search, I've already edited it a LOT of times, but I'm still very much open to good suggestions.<snip>
<snip>I've already edited it a LOT of times, but I'm still very much open to good suggestions.

Quote:

Love,

Mo

My 2 Cents:

I seek understanding, that typically means whatever religion you are, I'm not. I appreciate your community, but I'm much more tolerant of you than I am of any meme-masters. Learning and knowledge are the final yard sticks to truth for me. I'd say "I'm spiritual but not religious", but there is much more to that sentiment. Interactions between people are about communicating, not belief and blind faith. I am a social being with reason, empathy, vision and not all the answers.

Hugs

Fritz

Thanks Fritz. I'm still liking the word "infidel". It has an edge to it that I find necessary and useful, although I like the softer spin you put on the rest of it. I'll play with it again and post my latest version. I figure since this is more of an advertisement than pure expression I can use a bit more input from others here.

Mo Enzyme

(consolidation of handles: Jake Sapiens; memelab; logicnazi; Loki; Every1Hz; and Shadow)
MoEnzyme
Acolyte

Rate MoEnzyme

infidel lab animal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 2010-10-12 23:03:03 »

A bit shorter, which is important to me. I'm not wanting to lecture:

Quote:
"Spiritual but not religious", doesn't say enough about me. I'm an infidel. Our interactions thrive on sharing and not blind faith. I rely on reason, empathy, and vision. As a social beings, we don't have all the answers.

I figure it either rings true, or it loses them. I also eliminated all other "to be" verbs except for "I'm an infidel".

Mo Enzyme

Fritz
Archon

Rate Fritz

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #4 on: 2010-10-12 23:13:49 »

[Fritz]I think you've nailed it.

Quote:

"Spiritual but not religious", doesn't say enough about me. I'm an infidel. Our interactions thrive on sharing and not blind faith. I rely on reason, empathy, and vision. As a social beings, we don't have all the answers.

Where there is the necessary technical skill to move mountains, there is no need for the faith that moves mountains -anon-
MoEnzyme
Acolyte

Rate MoEnzyme

infidel lab animal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 2010-11-19 04:49:26 »

It's grown a bit longer, but I think its good.

Quote:
"Spiritual but not religious", doesn't say enough about me. I'm an infidel. Religious debate doesn't interest me, although I'm a political junkie, and science is king. We are social beings without all the answers. Our interactions thrive on sharing and not blind faith. I rely on reason, empathy, and vision. I am at peace with dying alone. I'm going to enjoy life and other people's company in the meantime, but everything ends if you live long enough and I'm planning on living a long time.

Here's another section on my OKCupid profile entitled, "You should message me if . . . "

Quote:
You should message me if: 1)you aren't hypocritical, apathetic, dogmatic, homophobic, or racist; 2)you appreciate reason, empathy and vision; 3) you've answered 666 match questions; 4)you know who Hypatia of Alexandria, Charles Darwin, and Alan Turing were and why they are important; and/or 5) you have something interesting to say and can say it with good grammar and spelling.

I likewise made it very oriented towards Church of Virus values.

Mo Enzyme

David Lucifer
Archon

Rate David Lucifer

Enlighten me.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #6 on: 2010-11-19 10:51:20 »

Quote from: MoEnzyme on 2010-11-19 04:49:26   

I likewise made it very oriented towards Church of Virus values.

So.... how do the ladies respond to that?
MoEnzyme
Acolyte

Rate MoEnzyme

infidel lab animal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: 2010-11-21 03:25:45 »

Lucifer, I dunno - hard to tell. I've been getting some responses before and after. Well generally I initiate and they respond.

I added in #6 . . . would eat the fruit from the tree of knowledge.

You should message me if: 1)you aren't hypocritical, apathetic, dogmatic, homophobic, or racist; 2)you appreciate reason, empathy and vision; 3) you've answered 666 match questions; 4)you know who Hypatia of Alexandria, Charles Darwin, and Alan Turing were and why they are important; 6) you would eat the fruit from the tree of knowledge of good and evil; and/or 7) you have something interesting to say and can say it with good grammar and spelling.

Mo Enzyme

MoEnzyme
Acolyte

Rate MoEnzyme

infidel lab animal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: 2010-11-21 07:39:07 »

Okay here's the whole thing: as it is now.

My Self-Summary

I am a straightforward, tall(6'4"), smart, educated, liberal, tolerant, experienced, politically-engaged, spontaneous, confident, fun, empathic, reasonable, honest, self-aware, American man of principle and vision.

I'm twice divorced (last one 10 yrs ago), with no children of my own. I play well with most humans and other animals. I like children, but don't plan on having any of my own. I grew up with cats, two parents, and one older brother. My parents named me after a tall white rabbit, but I've mostly gotten over that. I don't have any pets - although I do occasionally borrow other people's animals.

"Spiritual but not religious", doesn't say enough about me. I'm an infidel. Religious debate doesn't interest me, although politically I'm a junkie, and science is king. We are social beings without all the answers. Our interactions thrive on sharing and not blind faith. I rely on reason, empathy, and vision. I am at peace with dying alone. I'm going to enjoy life and other people's company in the meantime, but everything ends if you live long enough and I'm planning on living a long time.

http://www.churchofvirus.org/bbs/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=43586;start=0;boardseen=1

What I’m doing with my life

Riding backwards on a pig, and holding on tight.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_sfnQDr1-o
Due to economic downturn and business activities falling through, I'm looking for work lately. This happened since I signed up here, so right now I'm not really looking for a serious relationship. Mostly I'm searching for work, working towards walking 30 miles in three days, walking towards living yet another 30 days, and living to search for the grail.

I’m really good at

paying attention, writing and speaking intelligibly, keeping secrets, being direct, asking difficult questions easily, not losing my mind in the middle of a crisis, pointing out things which should be obvious, parallel parking, distinguishing between needs and wants, not making the same boring mistake too many times, saying something unexpected, cracking almost all of my joints, getting up after falling down, juggling three oranges, and making the sound of one hand clapping.

The first things people usually notice about me

I'm tall with naturally red cheeks to frame my smile, with a direct yet polite manner of discourse. I can't help but cuss now and then which makes me rated "R", but I do have a volume control for that most of the time. I like children, but I don't plan on having any of my own. I look young for my age and still get carded for alcohol now and then. I like to talk about politics a lot and I'm very liberal. I will talk about religion but only if it interests you. I'm an infidel first and always a blasphemer. I am pro-choice. I was raised Unitarian Universalist, and George W. Bush reconfirmed my Democratic upbringing. So basically I'm a "liberal godless babykiller". If you can handle that, your politics and religion probably won't bother me either, but I've noticed how that tends to clear the decks pretty damn quickly. I also don't generally watch television. First of all I don't own one. I do watch things on the internet, and DVD. I get my news from the radio, mostly NPR and the BBC, and from the internet - mostly through google news searches. I listen briefly now and then to Rush Limbaugh, not because he's got anything interesting say, but just so I know what kind of bullshit is hitting the fan on planet GOP.

My favorite books, movies, music, and food books and movies:

humor; science; science fiction; non-fiction, history; political science; biological and cultural evolution; documentaries.
Moon
Contact
Some of these following videos may not be safe for work due to language and/or blasphemy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iimMKWF7SK0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3Y24SNfH2Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_sfnQDr1-o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ana9w3uSNA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6w2M50_Xdk
music and food: eclectic.

The six things I could never do without

(aside from the obvious food, water, clothes, shelter, sleep etc), cell phone, internet, humor, news , a good story, the company of humans and other animals.

I spend a lot of time thinking about

. . . everything . . . please make it stop!

On a typical Friday night I am

open to possibilities.

The most private thing I’m willing to admit

Several private things: 1) I've paid the price of love, 2) had many conversations with death, 3) and understand the feelings of alienation. 4) When I was a child I liked to play with matches, and 5) listen to my robot voice by talking into the fan. 6) I'm immortal

I’m looking for

Girls who like guys
Ages 33-49
Near me
Who are single
For new friends, short-term dating

You should message me if

1) you aren't hypocritical, apathetic, dogmatic, homophobic, or racist; 2) you appreciate reason, empathy and vision; 3) you've answered 666 match questions; 4) you know who Hypatia of Alexandria, Charles Darwin, and Alan Turing were and why they are important; 6) you would eat the fruit from the tree of knowledge of good and evil; 7) You've drunk from the grail or you know where it is; 8 You've watched one of the youtube videos listed in my favorites section above and you have something to say about it; 9) you can juggle three oranges; and/or 10) you have something interesting to say and can say it with good grammar and spelling.
« Last Edit: 2010-11-21 10:41:20 by MoEnzyme » Report to moderator   Logged

Mo Enzyme

hxtrade98
Neophyte

I'm a llama!

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #9 on: 2011-04-26 03:59:20 »

[[ author reputation (0.00) beneath threshold (3)... display message ]]

Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to: