logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-03-28 20:11:36 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Everyone into the pool! Now online... the VirusWiki.

Church of Virus BBS
  General
  Free For All

A rather blunt question ...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: A rather blunt question ...  (Read 4019 times)
SecondSpeaker
Archon

Rate SecondSpeaker

Second to the First Speaker

View Profile
A rather blunt question ...
« on: 2008-12-04 17:11:00 »

But perhaps necessary.

The goal of the church of virus:

Virus was originally created to compete with the traditional (irrational) religions in the human ideosphere with the idea that it would introduce and propagate memes which would ensure the survival and evolution of our species. The main advantage conferred upon adherents is Virus provides a conceptual framework for leading a truly meaningful life and attaining immortality without resorting to mystical delusions.

I am not sure but I think this site exists for at least five years.

My question:

When does the competition start ?

In other words: it feels a kind of dead over here. And I still think it is a worthy idea. But you (we?) have to put a lot more effort in it. And it won't work at all if you just stick to the internet.

Somehow the word "originally" does not feel good in the statement.

Report to moderator   Logged
David Lucifer
Archon

Rate David Lucifer

Enlighten me.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
Re:A rather blunt question ...
« Reply #1 on: 2008-12-20 11:48:39 »

Quote from: SecondSpeaker on 2008-12-04 17:11:00   

In other words: it feels a kind of dead over here. And I still think it is a worthy idea. But you (we?) have to put a lot more effort in it. And it won't work at all if you just stick to the internet.

Somehow the word "originally" does not feel good in the statement.

If you want to avoid hypocrisy you had better start putting in some effort.
MoEnzyme
Heretic

Rate MoEnzyme

infidel lab animal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 2008-12-20 22:15:15 »

[[ author reputation (1.66) beneath threshold (3)... display message ]]

« Last Edit: 2008-12-20 22:17:58 by MoEnzyme » Report to moderator   Logged

I will fight your gods for food,
Mo Enzyme

(consolidation of handles: Jake Sapiens; memelab; logicnazi; Loki; Every1Hz; and Shadow)
Walter Watts
Archon

Rate Walter Watts

Just when I thought I was out-they pull me back in

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #3 on: 2008-12-21 00:21:07 »

Quote from: SecondSpeaker on 2008-12-04 17:11:00   

My question:

When does the competition start ?

The CoV HAS no competition!

Walter

Walter Watts
Tulsa Network Solutions, Inc.

No one gets to see the Wizard! Not nobody! Not no how!
MoEnzyme
Heretic

Rate MoEnzyme

infidel lab animal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: 2008-12-21 01:17:52 »

« Last Edit: 2008-12-21 01:32:26 by MoEnzyme » Report to moderator   Logged

Mo Enzyme

(consolidation of handles: Jake Sapiens; memelab; logicnazi; Loki; Every1Hz; and Shadow)
SecondSpeaker
Archon

Rate SecondSpeaker

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2008-12-21 17:25:41 »

I will try to respond

(1) I have done considerable reading trying to establish the current state of affairs here on CoV. My conclusion was that for the innocent passerby (I consider my efforts somewhat higher then that) it's not easy to establish what the recent activities are and how much, if any, progress is made in spreading and developing the word.

In this respect the word "originally" gives the feel that another direction is taken, some reactions give me the feeling that the state of affairs is that a group (some few hundred?) sticks together here, communicating on all kinds of subjects and that's about it. I don't see any "higher state" in this, but perhaps I have been looking at the wrong places.

So please instead of scorning at me for not studying  hard enough thru a big mass of forum and other texts direct me to the ones I have missed and ask yourselves if you can attract the attention you want if a passers-by like me, with a positive attitude after some serious studying should come to such conclusions.

(2) As for me, I think the best way to combat traditional religions is to think up an alternative that goes into competition with it. The rational discussion approach (Dawkins) will not lead to success IMHO. The alternative godless religion (unbelievers) will have to offer a lot of things traditional religions have. So it's not an easy thing to think something up that can compete. Basically: just saying this idea in itself is a good meme and now go for it is not sufficient.

(3) In pursuing this purpose I am researching all kinds of sites, especially in the Netherlands, where these and similar ideas are proposed, as well as plain atheistic sites, often wondering why they cannot be a more cooperative.

As regarding your  "Meridion Reputation System":

(1)   I am a big fan of reputation systems
(2)   I have looked for, but not found an introduction to the way your system works.
(3)   I think it very odd that the reputation system works in such a way that a new member cannot post a normally visible contribution. Furthermore I would think that if a post is worthy of reaction that should be reflected in the reputation, I am still at 0.
(4)   I  used the "warn the moderator" button to ask him to make may post visible in the normal way. Got no reaction.

Second Speaker

Mermaid
Archon

Rate Mermaid

Bite me!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2008-12-22 01:41:13 »

fine.

after replying to the schadenfreude thread( http://www.churchofvirus.org/bbs/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=42467;start=0;boardseen=1), i have a few thoughts.

i can actually see the sense in foundations like robert lappin's as community number is strength. i cant really fault jews who use loopholes in the tax system to build communities. it is perfectly legal and primitive socities do it all the time. for example, i have seen that happen many many times in india. small groups are strengthened by their dependence on each other. it helps to form and strengthen ties. e.g. the village headman can afford to perform his daughter's wedding in a grand fashion all by himself...its not like the potter's small gift makes a world of difference, but it matters. it says to him that the poor potter wants to be part of his community. the village headman remembers the gift and returns it for the potter's son's birthday. it is the care that is invested in building bonds.

its not like jews cannot afford to send their kids to israel to learn about their heritage, but something like robert lappin's foundation helps them to network to bond amongst their own. i applaud that. it is brilliant. its only an added bonus that its a non profit and they get the tax benefit.

the problem i see with atheists organisations of all stripes..from cov to whatever it is that richard dawkins is peddaling these days is tht there is no cohesion to form communities..to get like minded people together for a common cause. instead we fight against the faithful. our energies are directed towards those who we think deserve our contempt and ridicule instead of creating something out of our enlightenment.

on that note, i'd like to propose something. for this holiday season, do something. not as an atheist, but as a rationalist. who do you think deserves your charity? have a bakesale. buy sweaters, get a cov logo on it and donate it. buy books that conform to our beliefs, slap a cov sticker on the cover and give it away as a gift....to a school..to a library. lets have  raffle and the gifts can be books that are in our cov approved list. form a cov award to specific authors for their books or articles(in newspapers/writtn media) or television(for other media). or blog awards.

on a larger scale..why not start a library. stock only books that is cov-approved. lets have a scholarship. i will contribute.

lets create a community without glancing at those whose beliefs we dont subscribe to..its not about NOT being a xian or a jew or a moslem or a hindu. its about being rational. let us cultivate a community like that.

thats all i have to say.
David Lucifer
Archon

Rate David Lucifer

Enlighten me.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #7 on: 2008-12-28 17:34:23 »

Quote from: SecondSpeaker on 2008-12-21 17:25:41   

As regarding your  "Meridion Reputation System":

(1)   I am a big fan of reputation systems
(2)   I have looked for, but not found an introduction to the way your system works.
(3)   I think it very odd that the reputation system works in such a way that a new member cannot post a normally visible contribution. Furthermore I would think that if a post is worthy of reaction that should be reflected in the reputation, I am still at 0.
(4)   I  used the "warn the moderator" button to ask him to make may post visible in the normal way. Got no reaction.

We have a Meridion wiki page. I just noticed the link at the top of the voting page was broken. Should be fixed now.

New members start off with a zero reputation so they have a fairly strong incentive to join Meridion. The cost to join is almost zero, you just have to rate one person which could be yourself. I'm open to other suggestions.
David Lucifer
Archon

Rate David Lucifer

Enlighten me.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #8 on: 2008-12-28 17:40:19 »

(2) As for me, I think the best way to combat traditional religions is to think up an alternative that goes into competition with it. The rational discussion approach (Dawkins) will not lead to success IMHO. The alternative godless religion (unbelievers) will have to offer a lot of things traditional religions have. So it's not an easy thing to think something up that can compete. Basically: just saying this idea in itself is a good meme and now go for it is not sufficient.

I agree. One of the issues we are wrestling with is how to compete with a religion that seems to offer infinite benefit (the heaven meme). You know and I know the benefit they offer is fictional at best, but pointing that out doesn't seem to matter.
David Lucifer
Archon

Rate David Lucifer

Enlighten me.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #9 on: 2008-12-28 17:47:05 »

(1) I have done considerable reading trying to establish the current state of affairs here on CoV. My conclusion was that for the innocent passerby (I consider my efforts somewhat higher then that) it's not easy to establish what the recent activities are and how much, if any, progress is made in spreading and developing the word.

Would you like to see a new forum on the front page of the BBS or a wiki page listing the active VirianProjects?

Quote:
In this respect the word "originally" gives the feel that another direction is taken, some reactions give me the feeling that the state of affairs is that a group (some few hundred?) sticks together here, communicating on all kinds of subjects and that's about it. I don't see any "higher state" in this, but perhaps I have been looking at the wrong places.

I added the "originally" qualifier to point out that the religion is intended to be essentially adaptive and the members may take it in a new direction. We can put the mission statement to a Meridion vote if you like.

Quote:
So please instead of scorning at me for not studying  hard enough thru a big mass of forum and other texts direct me to the ones I have missed and ask yourselves if you can attract the attention you want if a passers-by like me, with a positive attitude after some serious studying should come to such conclusions.

We welcome everyone with a positive attitude and constructive criticism. I'm sorry your first message was interpreted otherwise, we were probably just reacting to you calling our community "dead". I now think you have a lot to contribute. When you join Meridion I will give you a positive rating.

« Last Edit: 2008-12-28 17:52:40 by David Lucifer » Report to moderator   Logged
MoEnzyme
Heretic

Rate MoEnzyme

infidel lab animal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: 2008-12-28 18:50:28 »

« Last Edit: 2008-12-28 22:09:38 by MoEnzyme » Report to moderator   Logged

Mo Enzyme

SecondSpeaker
Archon

Rate SecondSpeaker

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2008-12-29 19:49:45 »

Answering gets a bit difficult. My own fault I guess. An answer would get rather lengthy and probably better a Wikipage. As I am rather busy putting up a Wiki in Dutch discussing the possibilities of creating an unbelieve and to find some people nearby who really want to invest some serious efforts I fear it will take some time before I get to it. Meanwhile my goal was to see if there was some "life" in here and if not being of some help to stir it up. I stress I am sympathetic to the goals. As far as it goes:

(1)   I would think it better to remove the "originally" qualifier from your text. Although I agree the "religion" is adaptive I guess it's goal is not.

(2)   I would urge you to update or remove old stuff. For instance it doesn't feel good that http://www.churchofvirus.org/wiki/InterestingBooks was updated last 6 years ago.

(3)   I would have suggested as "homework" D Dennett's "Breaking the Spell: Religion as a Natural Phenomenon" to get an inkling of what's needed. Did not find any reference on it on CoV. However I saw Salamantis (notorious guy I learned) posted http://pinker.wjh.harvard.edu/articles/media/2004_10_29_religion.htm on http://www.churchofvirus.org/bbs/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=42464 which could serve as an abstract of the book without mentioning it (it was not written by then). The disadvantage of reading Dennett is that as always he is trying to schlepp along the most sceptic (here:religious) reader. This takes a lot of extra reading and I don't think he will ever succeed as he keeps reasoning. A hopeless task. I am preparing an abstract in Dutch on my Wiki. Maybe I will find some time to translate that and post it somewhere here. I don't agree with MoEnzime that "  a more symbiotic parasite approach through simple human conversation is the way . . . the Radiant path …. At a minimum its just a short grocery list - pick up: Reason, Empathy, Vision - drop off: Hypocrisy, Apathy, Dogmatism. I suppose I could add "ice cream", or "safe sex", but I wanted to keep it simple. So what we have is a potentially very simple message, easier even than telling someone to read a story or a book, and much less commitment than insisting on a personal commitment to Jesus." Again this approach is founded on reason. It will not work that way. (Q: what is meant by "Radiant (path)")

(4)   Would suggest replacing the Wiki system by MediaWiki. Apart from that: I could not get logged into the Wiki (I did not find a real place to do so and when I got asked for name and password it didn't work). Links on the "bestof" page are broken.

Sorry but time's up (1:45 here) maybe I get back.

Hermit
Archon

Rate Hermit

Prime example of a practically perfect person

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: 2008-12-29 21:19:05 »

Aangenaam en welkom.

Ik ben het eens met uw opmerkingen over de verklaringen van MoEnzyme.

Mag ik alsjeblieft de URL van uw site heb?

Tot wijziging van de wiki is dit nodig om in te loggen op de BBS met een voldoende hoge Meridian rang. Ik zou voorlopig verlenen u een positieve beoordeling.

Hermit

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion. - Steven Weinberg, 1999
Fritz
Archon

Rate Fritz

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #13 on: 2008-12-30 13:49:26 »

Kerk is van het virus naar een nieuwe taalkundige profielen?

Sante

Fritz

Where there is the necessary technical skill to move mountains, there is no need for the faith that moves mountains -anon-
David Lucifer
Archon

Rate David Lucifer

Enlighten me.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #14 on: 2008-12-30 14:45:22 »

Quote from: SecondSpeaker on 2008-12-29 19:49:45   

(4)   Would suggest replacing the Wiki system by MediaWiki. Apart from that: I could not get logged into the Wiki (I did not find a real place to do so and when I got asked for name and password it didn't work). Links on the "bestof" page are broken.

I would convert to MediaWiki without hesitation if it was easy, but the conversion from PhpWiki looks pretty labour-intensive. What do you see as the main advantages that MediaWiki has over PhpWiki?

As Hermit alluded to, you will be logged into the wiki automatically if you are logged into the BBS and your Meridion reputation sufficiently high (currently 6 iirc).

Pages: [1] 2 Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to: