logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-04-19 22:17:42 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Do you want to know where you stand?

Church of Virus BBS
  General
  Free For All

What exactly is the Virian religion?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: What exactly is the Virian religion?  (Read 1161 times)
Pochin_Tak-Tak
Acolyte

Rate Pochin_Tak-Tak

I'm a llama! ....wait what?
underagebritishschoolboy undragebrtshskby
View Profile E-Mail
What exactly is the Virian religion?
« on: 2005-05-26 09:44:27 »

ok, so im new, actually the newest here, so i need a few questions to be answered. What exactly is this religion? i have read everything on the homepage, but i am still confused as to what "Virus" is. Could sombody please help me?
Report to moderator   Logged

&ampquotCurse you with the fury of a thousand rotten cheese wheels!!!"
David Lucifer
Archon

Rate David Lucifer

Enlighten me.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
Re:What exactly is the Virian religion?
« Reply #1 on: 2005-05-26 10:29:14 »

Did you find the about page? http://www.churchofvirus.org/about.html
Pochin_Tak-Tak
Acolyte

Rate Pochin_Tak-Tak

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #2 on: 2005-05-26 11:48:28 »

o yes, and sorry for the spelling mistake, i believe its Virion.....but yes, and im still a bit lost as to...... ill read it again...

Pabreetzio
Adept

Rate Pabreetzio

I'm Patrick
   Pabreetzio Pabreetzio
View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #3 on: 2005-05-28 01:15:42 »

heh thats a very good question. I'm rather new here myself. We need more to the homepage, more to our doctrine, and a getting started for new memebers page.

If I understand things from being here the past couple of weeks, Its that the church of Virus doesnt really, at least yet, have a religion behind the church. The basic thing bringing people here is the idea of the meme, a word we use to refer to something in culture that really is intangible, but has similar qualities to a gene in DNA. If common DNA can bring cells together to form an organism, its common ideas that bring organisms to form a church or any other organization, society, or culture. The common cultural elements are called memes. This church is dedicated to the church former itself, the meme, whos mematic spreading of cultural elements is analagous to the genetic spreading of a virus. This church has attracted mainly non-religious members who balk at the dogmatism of any other church goer and abandon such blind faith for reason and the scientific method. Reason and scientific method pretty much goes against religion, and so most of us here are against religion, despite being a church.

I myself call on the church to form more of a religion. We have already established that our creation story is that of evolution. In contrast to cristianity and other religions in which the creation story is that God, I think that our church should out right state in its doctrine the continuance of the creation story of evolution with the creation of memes, which in turn created God. God exists only as that which evolution seems to progress towards, "God created in the immage of Man". Not only that but the idea that God might have created the very things that set the Universe into motion should also be abandoned, even though (I think?) many church memebers hold that view, it is confusing in relation to the "man created God" idea.

So if you would like to read the Genesis of the Virian Bible, look up Darwin, our one and only sait as of the moment I believe. The reason he is our only saint is because thats about as far as the Virion religion goes at the moment(I think).
Hey lucifer, do you think we might want to actually make a Bible type book? I'm interested in helping work on it this summer.
David Lucifer
Archon

Rate David Lucifer

Enlighten me.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #4 on: 2005-05-28 18:20:10 »

We do have a religion here, but the doctrine is not as extensive as the ones that have been around for thousands of years.

I agree our creation story is evolution. Your idea of giving a direction to evolution is interesting, but it is not yet CoV doctrine.

The VirianDoctrine section of the CoV wiki is our current online space for developing the Book. I established a minimum Meridion reputation to edit the wiki after some anonymous person vandalized the site. I don't think you will have a problem achieving a reputation of 6 in the near future, but it may take some effort on your part to discover how.

« Last Edit: 2005-05-28 18:20:41 by David Lucifer » Report to moderator   Logged
Pochin_Tak-Tak
Acolyte

Rate Pochin_Tak-Tak

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #5 on: 2005-05-31 12:30:52 »

o, yes, and im kind of angry myself right now, i told my mum about this, she told me a long time ago that she would support me in any religion i would choose to follow, i have told her, and she said no, she wont support me in this and doesnt believe that it is real enough for me to believe in... i dont want to cross her, but i believe i have finally found something i can enjoy and believe in.....she also doesnt like Darwin, which makes no sense. 

David Lucifer
Archon

Rate David Lucifer

Enlighten me.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #6 on: 2005-06-01 20:22:14 »

If your mom doesn't like Darwin she definitely won't like this religion. Come back when you're free 
Pochin_Tak-Tak
Acolyte

Rate Pochin_Tak-Tak

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #7 on: 2005-06-02 09:02:02 »

come back when im free..... well i just dont understand how she could do that...its dumb.... and pointless.......     i think i just wont tell her again, she already forgot, she thinks i was joking i think....

Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to: