logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-03-28 17:16:08 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Donations now taken through PayPal

Church of Virus BBS
  General
  Arts & Entertainment

The Movie That Scarred Me For Life
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: The Movie That Scarred Me For Life  (Read 1742 times)
alahzred
Neophyte

View Profile
The Movie That Scarred Me For Life
« on: 2003-09-13 21:03:36 »

[[ author reputation (0.00) beneath threshold (3)... display message ]]

Report to moderator   Logged
Zloduska
Archon

Rate Zloduska

Handcuffs are for amateurs.

View Profile WWW
Re:The Movie That Scarred Me For Life
« Reply #1 on: 2003-09-14 02:31:47 »

Hated it.  I mean, really loathed that movie.  Tywick and I rented it from blockbuster as well, and had to literally force ourselves to get through it, the movie was so difficult to endure.  And not just because it was 'vulgar' and messed up, but mainly for the primary reason I end up hating odd indie flicks--  lack of empathy for the protagonist. 

For just about every movie that I have ever seen with great expectations to start and ended up hating, the reason is that the main character was so appalingly stupid that I could barely force myself to continue watching.  I have no problem empathizing with "bad" characters-- the pathetic, the sad, the angry, the evil, the insane, as long as the character is well written, fully developed, and somewhat realistic (and helps if they seem intelligent).  The problem with protagonists like the star of Vulgar (Kevin Smith I believe) is that his character is so fucking STUPID in a very bad, not-entertaining, grating, bullet-to-the-temple, agonizing fashion.  It wasn't even stupid in a remotely amusing kind of way. The movie starts off with promise, then it goes awry and you end up wishing that everyone in the entire movie would just die; you can't respect any of the characters, and you just want the whole terrible affair to come to a quick end.

So yeah, that movie SUCKED because it failed at being twisted in a *good* David Lynch/Quentin Tarentino/Cohen brothers way, and succeeded in being awful in a car wreck/reality TV sort of way. Fuj fuj fuj.

But there's hope for these type of movies, in fact we just saw a really, really good one the other night. It's called May, and it is also carried by BlockBuster.  [ see: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0303361/ ] My expectations were very low, but it ended up being quite grotesque, disgusting, shocking and vile in a very excellent, humorous and enteraining fashion.  It also has some good peformances by cultish indie actors.  And some sweet lesbian action.  And bloody eyeballs and creepy porcelain dolls. Go rent it!
alahzred
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2003-09-14 13:58:28 »

Zloduska
Archon

Rate Zloduska

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 2003-09-14 23:06:17 »

My all-time favorite movie since high school has been Wild At Heart.  It never gets old.

So have you rented it yet?
alahzred
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2003-09-19 21:44:49 »

David Lucifer
Archon

Rate David Lucifer

Enlighten me.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #5 on: 2003-09-20 14:56:32 »

Quote from: Zloduska on 2003-09-14 23:06:17   

My all-time favorite movie since high school has been Wild At Heart.  It never gets old.

I use Wild At Heart and Raising Arizona as examples to show that Nicolas Cage isn't all bad.
alahzred
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2003-09-20 22:23:24 »

Zloduska
Archon

Rate Zloduska

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: 2003-09-26 03:36:48 »

Odd.  I really liked Bringing Out the Dead, but really hated 9MM, which I saw in the theatre.  Oh well. "Leaving Las Vegas" is another KICK ASS movie he was in awhile back.  I've heard that "Adaptation" is good but haven't seen it yet.  Anyone?

Lucifer, I never thought Nicolas Cage was a bad actor.  I think he is a very good actor who occasionally sells out and takes crap parts in crappy  Hollywood movies to further his career (ie Gone In 60 Seconds), but can't say I blame him.

Back to alahzrad:  Wild At Heart is a classic; I make everyone watch it, and know all the lines.  Have you seen Muholland Drive yet?  I need to watch that a few more times so I can figure it out properly.  I don't get it.  You have 3 boxes of neat, old tapes stuffed in your closet?  Why don't you trade by mail with other folks for cool movies? I'd be interested in trading (when I have more time that is).  Do you really live in Michigan? That's not too far from where we are, in Madison, WI.

OK, so new topic:  Who else can you think of that is a great actor/actress or once-great actor that now or sometimes acts in shitty mainstream films???  Hmm...  Robert Deniro for one; ditto Jack Nicholson; Brittany Murphy and Mena Suvari (were good in 'Spun'); Johnny Depp; Christina Ricci; Angelina Jolie (endlessly hot talented but hopelessly popular to boot); Antonio Banderas (yes his Hollywood films all suck ass, but every single Spanish-speaking film I have seen him in, he was fantastic, who knows why the fuck that is, pity though)

And actors that are always good:    Billy Bob Thorton; Jude Law; James Duvall; Edward Norton; Natasha Leone, Maggie Gyllenhaal(sp?); etc, etc....

Of course the list of actors and actresses who ALWAYS suck is too long to list...
romanov
Adept

Rate romanov

Doctor of Philosophy? What disease is that?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2003-09-26 11:07:10 »

I think the main reason behind this is that there are mostly three different types of actors/actresses in Hollywood:

Type 1: The actor (pronounced ack-Tor)- considers films a work of art. These obviously exist as a minority, due to the market-nature of the Hollywood system, and only crop up if they happen to be extremely lucky with their careers.

Also, while they tend to do extremely good performances, when you put them in the directors chair, due to their 'respect' for the medium they can become enormously self-indulgent. Billy-Bob Thornton is one such good example.

Type 2: The dual-career actor- (Most A-list stars fall into this category) These are actors with two, mutually exclusive film careers- a commercial career starring in blockbusters to satisfy the studios as to their marketability, and another 'personal' career in which they star in films in order either to satisfy their own needs or gain themselves artistic credibility. Actors in this bracket have a choice on what film roles they take.

The most stringent examples of this type of actor are Robin Williams and (lately, thanks to the 'Sixth Sense') Bruce Willis. Ironically, these people tend to make the best directors.

Type 3: The jobbing actor- those who take what they can get, hoping to get the occasional decent roles. Most african-american and hispanic-american actors, along with foreign talent, unfortunately fall into this category.

The irony of this category is that it usually contains both some of the best actors and the worst performances. Although the budgets involved can be high, the actors themselves don't have the same level of control their counterparts in the other categories have.

I'd be surprised if there weren't exceptions to this rule, so don't hesitate to bring them up. Bear in mind also that certain actors/actresses have switched categories over the years.

romanov

David Lucifer
Archon

Rate David Lucifer

Enlighten me.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #9 on: 2003-09-26 12:35:32 »

Quote from: Zloduska on 2003-09-26 03:36:48   

Odd.  I really liked Bringing Out the Dead, but really hated 9MM, which I saw in the theatre.  Oh well. "Leaving Las Vegas" is another KICK ASS movie he was in awhile back.  I've heard that "Adaptation" is good but haven't seen it yet.  Anyone?

I thought Adaptation was very good. Definitely worth a rental.
alahzred
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2003-09-29 00:23:08 »

LhyR of Chaos
Neophyte

live, love, and be...

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #11 on: 2003-10-20 04:05:14 »

what's coming through is alive, what's holding up is a mirror... totally void of hate, and killing me just the same... coming over like a storm again now considerately.
metahuman
Acolyte

Rate metahuman

MetaVirian
View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #12 on: 2003-10-20 05:56:54 »

Quote from: LhyR of Chaos on 2003-10-20 04:05:14   
likewise there are audio CDs out there which are just grating industrial noize (again: something meant to hurt the patron).

Naked City - Black Box comes to mind, but it's not that it's painful. It's the kind of music you hear in the movies when someone begins to go insane and kill everyone around you. For me, I suppose, it's calming and eye-opening. After listening to just a few of these 42 tracks which are all from 30 seconds to about 1 minute in length each, you'll be wondering, "What the hell is this?" Still, you'll probably want to listen more. I can't explain it. You just have to listen.

Contact me on IRC (metahuman) if you're interested.

Edit: I'm definitely going to play this loud on Halloween.
« Last Edit: 2003-10-20 05:57:42 by metahuman » Report to moderator   Logged
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to: