logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-03-29 01:39:38 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Do you want to know where you stand?

Church of Virus BBS
  Mailing List
  Virus 2006

Florida may get new state motto..
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: Florida may get new state motto..  (Read 1322 times)
Mermaid
Archon

Rate Mermaid

Bite me!

View Profile
Florida may get new state motto..
« on: 2006-04-26 12:14:50 »

they are planning to change the state motto to

"IN GOD WE TRUST"

coincidence that this is happening in florida?

i dont think so.

http://cbs4.com/topstories/local_story_115112635.html

The famous saying on all US currency could soon become the official state motto of the state of Florida. In a bill passed unanimously Tuesday by the state House, “In God We Trust” would be the state’s official motto.

The strange part is how the bill (HB 1145) may actually get approved.

The legislation involving the motto is being combined with another measure attempting to name the State of Florida Maritime Museum and Research Center, being built in Pensacola, in honor of the late Vice Adm. John Fetterman.

Fetterman died last month at the age of 73 after serving as head of the Naval Aviation Museum Foundation.

It’s not uncommon for legislators to attempt to combine proposals in order to get them pushed through and approved more quickly, even if the two efforts are unrelated.

Both measures still need approval from the Senate, where a companion bill (SB 1494) is facing its last committee vote Tuesday.

"In God We Trust" has been considered an unofficial motto of the state for years, but is not in statute.

Report to moderator   Logged
Hermit
Archon

Rate Hermit

Prime example of a practically perfect person

View Profile WWW
Re:Florida may get new state motto..
« Reply #1 on: 2006-04-26 15:00:51 »

It is important to realise that the slogan, "in dog we rust" was found by the supreme court, in one of their more weaselish decisions, not to be a religious statement but rather a political platitude or meaningless slogan. Which is why, despite a challenge from American Atheists, this "meaningless slogan" remains on the banknotes (other than those corrected by atheists correcting the situation by obliterating it - I suggest a thick, black, felt tip marker). With some luck, the brain-challenged sub-humans populating the Florida government and their vociferous religious supporters will establish solid grounds with their babbling to revisit that previous decision as well as this current attempted establishment of religion (but which one?).

Then too, common sense having failed them, and with the government they (deservedly naturally) have, perhaps Florida needs to vest trust in their imaginary friends - and possibly invest hope in an afterlife, as it seems probable that their own, and their government's world-renowned stupidity and obstinacy will lead to many of them experiencing at best, somewhat damp toes somewhere in the near future. Florida already has a rapidly increasing stock (2,500 at last I heard) of houses which cannot be sold due to their uninsurability, and major underwriters (including Allstate and Statefarm), who have done the math, are intending to withdraw from the Florida marketplace for reasons having to do with increasingly more severe[1] local weather and the strange effect of ocean levels rising[2] (ice melting somewhere due to ocean warming[3] perhaps?) even though some assert that published average global temperatures (measured by means of IR radiation off non-black body surfaces, hmmm? Is there something wrong with this picture?) remain relatively constant allowing some to claim that climate change is a myth. It should, by now, be fairly apparent that averages are not particularly helpful in determining how well people or planets are doing. Ask the average American[4] or polar-bear[4].

Hermit

My apologies for the CNN references below (not ever a first choice for finding peer reviewed science), but they are at least readable and I've included the information here to allow you to google for the source material.This one makes claims that seem validatable and reasonably grounded, although I remain highly concerned that these models don't seem to be taking the ominous solar output indicators into account.

[1] According to Greg Holland, division director at the National Center for Atmospheric Research in Boulder, Colorado, "The hurricanes we are seeing are indeed a direct result of climate change and it's no longer something we'll see in the future, it's happening now" In addition,
    Adam Lea, a postdoctoral student at Britain's University College London in Dorking, Surrey, presented research to the American Meteorological Society's 27th Conference on Hurricanes and Tropical Meteorology based on British, German, Russian and Canadian studies that concludes half of the increased hurricane activity in the tropics could be attributed to global warming.

Refer also to http://www.uri.edu/artsci/ecn/starkey/201-590_bulletinboard/sealevels.pdf and http://www.phys.uu.nl/~sommer/master/geopotential%20fields/aspirant%20presentatie/wu%202003.pdf For a readable and a fascinating study respectively.

[2] CNNSea levels have also risen about 4 to 8 inches during the past century, according to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.

[3] According to Thomas Knutson, explaining projections from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's Geophysical Fluid Dynamics Laboratory in Princeton, New Jersey, "Whatever the cause, computer projections indicate the warming to date -- about one degree Fahrenheit (half a degree Celsius) in tropical water -- is the tip of the iceberg and the water will warm three to four times as much in the next century."

[4] Graph showing the distribution of wealth in the US.
    Source:
    Inequality.org
    Original Credit: Edward N. Wolff,
    "Changes in Household Wealth in the 1980s and 1990s in the U.S.," Jerome Levy Economics Institute, May, 2004.

[5] According to   CNN "The polar bear population fell 14 percent to just 950 in the 10 years to 2004, according to Greenpeace and the Natural Resources Defense Council." and "Polar bears cannot survive without sea ice and the U.S. government said in February it would consider [Hermit: My emphasis. Idiots!] whether the bears should be protected under the Endangered Species Act."

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion. - Steven Weinberg, 1999
Blunderov
Archon

Rate Blunderov

"We think in generalities, we live in details"

View Profile WWW E-Mail
Re:Florida may get new state motto..
« Reply #2 on: 2006-04-27 02:27:22 »

Quote from: Hermit on 2006-04-26 15:00:51   

It is important to realise that the slogan, "in dog we rust" was found by the supreme court, in one of their more weaselish decisions, not to be a religious statement but rather a political platitude or meaningless slogan.

Yes. The slogan reads to me like a sad little plaint and a confession of defeat.

"In God we trust" (because we've tried trusting politicians and everybody knows how THAT worked out.)

or

"In God we trust" (because we have to write something at the top of this document that looks important and authoritative and that will adequately convey the sense of divine, as opposed to electoral, mandate that suffuses our every waking moment. )

or

"In God we trust" (By "God" we of course mean Jahwe. All other candidates need not apply.)

or

"In God we trust" (and you would be wise to do the same if you were stupidly hoping for any assistance from this office.)

or the ubiquitous

"In God we trust", all others must pay cash.

I do have to wonder what it is about "the American way" that qualifies grubby little officialdoms to bask in the reflected glory of the almighty. I wouldn't be surprised if there were some Xtians who find this presumption deeply offensive.

Best Regards.

Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to: