logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-04-19 14:29:28 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Read the first edition of the Ideohazard

Church of Virus BBS
  General
  Society & Culture

How many other things are we missing as we rush through life?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: How many other things are we missing as we rush through life?  (Read 2409 times)
Fritz
Archon

Rate Fritz

View Profile WWW E-Mail
How many other things are we missing as we rush through life?
« on: 2011-01-04 16:51:35 »

Not new, but new to me.

Enjoyed

Fritz

Source: email

Confirmed: http://www.snopes.com/music/artists/bell.asp

THE  SITUATION

In Washington , DC , at a Metro Station,  on a cold January morning in 2007, this man with a violin played six  Bach pieces for about 45 minutes.  During that time,  approximately 2,000 people went through the station, most of them on  their way to work.  After about 3 minutes, a middle-aged man  noticed that there was a musician playing.  He slowed his pace  and stopped for a few seconds, and then he hurried on to meet his  schedule.

About 4 minutes  later:

The violinist  received his first dollar.  A woman threw money in the hat and,  without stopping, continued to  walk.

At 6  minutes:

A young man leaned against the  wall to listen to him, then looked at his watch and started to walk  again.

At  10 minutes:

A 3-year old boy stopped, but his  mother tugged him along hurriedly.  The kid stopped to look at  the violinist again, but the mother pushed hard and the child  continued to walk, turning his head the whole time.  This  action was repeated by several other children, but every parent -  without exception - forced their children to move on  quickly.

At 45  minutes:

The musician played  continuously.  Only 6 people stopped and listened for a short  while.  About 20 gave money but continued to walk at their  normal pace.  The man collected a total of $32.

After 1  hour:

He finished  playing and silence took over.  No one noticed and no one  applauded.  There was no recognition at  all.

No one knew this, but the violinist  was Joshua Bell,  one of the greatest musicians in the world.  He played one of  the most intricate pieces ever written, with a violin worth $3.5  million dollars.  Two days before, Joshua Bell sold-out a  theater in Boston where the seats averaged $100 each to sit and  listen to him play the same music.

This is a true story.  Joshua Bell, playing incognito in the D.C. Metro Station, was  organized by the Washington Post as part of a social experiment  about perception, taste and  people's priorities.

This experiment raised several  questions:

*In a common-place environment,  at an inappropriate hour, do we perceive  beauty?

*If so, do we stop to  appreciate  it?

*Do we recognize talent in an  unexpected context?

One possible conclusion reached from this  experiment could be this:

If we do not have a  moment to stop and listen to one of the best musicians in the world,  playing some of the finest music ever written, with one of the most  beautiful instruments ever made .
Report to moderator   Logged

Where there is the necessary technical skill to move mountains, there is no need for the faith that moves mountains -anon-
David Lucifer
Archon

Rate David Lucifer

Enlighten me.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
Re:How many other things are we missing as we rush through life?
« Reply #1 on: 2011-01-04 18:57:15 »

Quote from: Fritz on 2011-01-04 16:51:35   

One possible conclusion reached from this  experiment could be this:

If we do not have a  moment to stop and listen to one of the best musicians in the world,  playing some of the finest music ever written, with one of the most  beautiful instruments ever made .

"... how many other things are we missing?"

ends the story. Very interesting, thanks!
MoEnzyme
Acolyte

Rate MoEnzyme

infidel lab animal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 2011-01-04 19:03:51 »

Well, $32 in 45 minutes is a little bit better than minimum wage, so maybe we don't suck too badly. I think even a cool and talented rapper might have a difficult time doing much better at that time and place. Add in a little flash mob advertising and you might even successfully multiply that a bit. This guy didn't advertise at all. Just imagine how he could have done with just some minimal effort.

I will fight your gods for food,
Mo Enzyme

(consolidation of handles: Jake Sapiens; memelab; logicnazi; Loki; Every1Hz; and Shadow)
Ophis
Magister

Rate Ophis

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #3 on: 2011-01-05 19:31:27 »

I don't typically recognize any of this kind of beauty as I commute to work; my mind is usually worried about what's waiting ahead of me at the office.  But I am glad for those moments when I do take a step back and appreciate what's happening around me.  For this reason, I like taking a long walk or doing a road trip with family and friends. 

Many of the New Age / Neo Buddhist religions or philosophies recommend just such behavior: living in the "here and now"; appreciate what's around you; grab the moment!

I wish I did it more regularly or maybe even continuously, but the few moments I grab every week are enough to keep me relatively stress-free and happy.

Great find Fritz!
the.bricoleur
Archon

Rate the.bricoleur

making sense of change

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #4 on: 2011-01-05 19:49:54 »

Well I don't like Bach and could not tell the difference between a 3 dollar violin and 3 million dollar violin. Beauty has nothing to do with it. I suspect most of the people passing by are in the same boat as me.

However, I would have noticed that the player was telented and would have appreciated the performance for that ... but because it is Bach, and I don't like Bach, my stay would be brief.

Some 'dude' playing Bach on his violin is boring. Maybe that is why so few people stopped to listen/watch?

the.bricoleur
Blunderov
Archon

Rate Blunderov

"We think in generalities, we live in details"

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #5 on: 2011-01-06 14:37:28 »

Quote from: the.bricoleur on 2011-01-05 19:49:54   

Some 'dude' playing Bach on his violin is boring. Maybe that is why so few people stopped to listen/watch?

[Blunderov] My take is that the music was out of context. Music (with a capital M) takes place in a ritual space to which the necessary pilgrimage and obeisance must be made and paid by the listener. Very differently, busking is a means of drawing attention to an  undeservingly empty hat or instrument case. I'm willing to bet that Joshua Bell would have had an entirely different outcome had he been busking in New Orleans instead - especially if he had rubbed a little funk on it.
MoEnzyme
Acolyte

Rate MoEnzyme

infidel lab animal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: 2011-01-06 17:16:41 »

Here, here! Yes there is a certain ritual involved in preparing an audience for truly great music. And, yes, I think it's almost empirically verifiable that a performance is worth that, but probably almost no way to know for certain without some setup. Mostly I'm still focussed on the fact that he soundly beat the minimum wage with consciously zero effort paid to advertizing and buildup. I'm also inclined to think that in some venues, like New Orleans, he probably could have gotten several times his income, and with almost any advertisement budget anywhere might have even gotten exponential profit results.

Quote from: Blunderov on 2011-01-06 14:37:28   

[Blunderov] My take is that the music was out of context. Music (with a capital M) takes place in a ritual space to which the necessary pilgrimage and obeisance must be made and paid by the listener. Very differently, busking is a means of drawing attention to an  undeservingly empty hat or instrument case. I'm willing to bet that Joshua Bell would have had an entirely different outcome had he been busking in New Orleans instead - especially if he had rubbed a little funk on it.
« Last Edit: 2011-01-06 17:21:56 by MoEnzyme » Report to moderator   Logged

I will fight your gods for food,
Mo Enzyme

(consolidation of handles: Jake Sapiens; memelab; logicnazi; Loki; Every1Hz; and Shadow)
the.bricoleur
Archon

Rate the.bricoleur

making sense of change

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #7 on: 2011-01-06 17:39:59 »

Quote from: Blunderov on 2011-01-06 14:37:28   

Salient point and I totally agree Blunderov!

the.bricoleur
Fritz
Archon

Rate Fritz

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #8 on: 2011-01-07 17:28:28 »

the.bricoleur

This take on JSB does not involve a 'rogue dude' and may appeal a little more ; and is in a different context all together ....

Strumming along side a big organ does have its moments

Cheers; from it seems one of the last JSB lovers ....

Fritz

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hg8Fa_EUQqY&feature=related
« Last Edit: 2011-01-07 17:29:33 by Fritz » Report to moderator   Logged

Where there is the necessary technical skill to move mountains, there is no need for the faith that moves mountains -anon-
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to: