logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-04-18 22:38:33 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Everyone into the pool! Now online... the VirusWiki.

Church of Virus BBS
  General
  Society & Culture

Pro-hemp vs. pro-legalization
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: Pro-hemp vs. pro-legalization  (Read 2155 times)
MoEnzyme
Acolyte

Rate MoEnzyme

infidel lab animal

View Profile WWW
Pro-hemp vs. pro-legalization
« on: 2010-06-08 18:34:08 »

We've made no progress advertising industrial uses for hemp to the  political marketplace of the US. On the other-hand we've had clear success promoting the medicinal values of MJ, while the recession has convinced even more to the idea of legalizing and taxing recreational MJ. Dave throws cold water on the stoners, but considering how poorly the wonky hemp industrialist message has fared, its the civil liberties argument which wins in the end.

At least that's the way I see it. Happy to hear your feedback.

-Mo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZpi7GoojXc
« Last Edit: 2010-06-08 18:58:21 by MoEnzyme » Report to moderator   Logged

I will fight your gods for food,
Mo Enzyme

(consolidation of handles: Jake Sapiens; memelab; logicnazi; Loki; Every1Hz; and Shadow)
MoEnzyme
Acolyte

Rate MoEnzyme

infidel lab animal

View Profile WWW
Re:Pro-hemp vs. pro-legalization
« Reply #1 on: 2010-06-09 09:33:18 »

Most of the video concentrates on problems with oil and on hemp replacements for petroleum products. He seems to think legalization is a good idea, but he makes a few denigrating comments about pot-heads, saying that they are an image problem for the hemp issue. Frankly its the pot-heads who are beginning to win politically while all the "normal" hemp activists have squat to show and will probably still be trying to break into business and industry long after marijuana is legal.
Report to moderator   Logged

Mo Enzyme

(consolidation of handles: Jake Sapiens; memelab; logicnazi; Loki; Every1Hz; and Shadow)
the.bricoleur
Archon

Rate the.bricoleur

making sense of change

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #2 on: 2010-06-09 15:48:43 »

Quote from: MoEnzyme on 2010-06-09 09:33:18   

He seems to think legalization is a good idea, but he makes a few denigrating comments about pot-heads, saying that they are an image problem for the hemp issue.

Then someone should point out to Dave that his problem is with stereotypes and politely ask him to stay on topic.

the.bricoleur
MoEnzyme
Acolyte

Rate MoEnzyme

infidel lab animal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 2010-06-16 03:34:37 »

Quote from: the.bricoleur on 2010-06-09 15:48:43   

He seems to think legalization is a good idea, but he makes a few denigrating comments about pot-heads, saying that they are an image problem for the hemp issue.

Then someone should point out to Dave that his problem is with stereotypes and politely ask him to stay on topic.

the.bricoleur

[Mo] I'm not quite sure how to respond to being someone who should be ignored and yet is somehow not ignored in the same message at the same time. Maybe you can clarify that a bit for me.

I did go on to have a few words with Dave. He's a funny guy but he listened better than some I've met. He's just pushing some buttons I guess, but willing to be honest about it anyways. I guess I've done as much myself occasionally.

Love,

-Mo
« Last Edit: 2010-06-16 03:35:34 by MoEnzyme » Report to moderator   Logged

Mo Enzyme

MoEnzyme
Acolyte

Rate MoEnzyme

infidel lab animal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: 2010-06-16 03:46:25 »

Dave's rationale was that he figured as an audience, pot heads don't tend to get upset about being made the butt of a few jokes, and all things considered, I couldn't actually disagree with him. But still, that's really all the more reason to embrace potheads ain't it? Talk about a crowd that is so ultra slow to offend, you simply can't beat 'em, even if they owed you money, you'd still take it a bit easier on 'em right? With all the mean sloppy drunks in the world, and the expensive coke heads and incorrigible Heroin junkies that most of the world knows at least one of, I think most of the arguments begin to make themselves over time. You don't have to love potheads, but they won't make you call the police either. That's more your business than theirs . . . almost always, eh? Who in their right mind should complain?

jus say'n be normal sometimes. Okay? Not so crazy now and then, thank you so much.

Hugs and kisses,

-Mo
« Last Edit: 2010-06-16 03:59:57 by MoEnzyme » Report to moderator   Logged

Mo Enzyme

Fritz
Archon

Rate Fritz

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #5 on: 2010-06-16 12:08:06 »

Quote from: MoEnzyme on 2010-06-16 03:46:25   
<snip>jus say'n be normal sometimes. Okay? Not so crazy now and then, thank you so much.<snip>

Hugs and kisses,

-Mo

I'm think'in that this could be yet another forest for the trees issue; 'chronic' anything is a symptom, in my mind anyway. Alternate realities are diversions and what are we diverting from ? I like a visit to the other worlds as much as the next person, but as I get to be an old geezer I've notice that really only friends can really take me to where I want to go and yes this means sharing compromise and work rather then instance gratification, but for me the trip is ultimately deeper and better. In the theme of CoV this all seems to apply to the religious altered realities as well.

How can anyone in their right mind legislate the use of a plant in the free world ? Oh wait; I think I've answered my own question. Religious zealots !

Cheers

Fritz

PS: Hmmm ... posting before my morning coffee seems melancholy ?
« Last Edit: 2010-06-16 12:10:19 by Fritz » Report to moderator   Logged

Where there is the necessary technical skill to move mountains, there is no need for the faith that moves mountains -anon-
the.bricoleur
Archon

Rate the.bricoleur

making sense of change

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #6 on: 2010-06-30 15:41:55 »

Quote from: MoEnzyme on 2010-06-16 03:34:37   

Quote from: the.bricoleur on 2010-06-09 15:48:43   

the.bricoleur

[Mo] I'm not quite sure how to respond to being someone who should be ignored and yet is somehow not ignored in the same message at the same time. Maybe you can clarify that a bit for me.

Ignored? eh?

All I am pointing out is that hemp used for industrial use does not contain enough THC to produce any phychological or physical effects. Therefore, the distinction between the recreational / medicinal value of the plant and its industrial use should be clearly defined, and the debates segregated.

Making denigrating comments about pot-heads adds no value to either issue.

the.bricoleur
MoEnzyme
Acolyte

Rate MoEnzyme

infidel lab animal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: 2010-06-30 21:50:02 »

Okay, Mostly I find it interesting that vested market interests seem to have more capacity to block industrial uses than puritanical interests have in blocking recreational uses. If the reverse were true, I could understand Scary Dave's point. As for ignoring folks, that was an entirely unrelated and personal note - doesn't seem worth pursuing anymore, but thanks for noticing. In any case it doesn't seem like the two issues have much to do with each other and remain largely immune to crossover support/opposition. Potheads seem largely interested in getting stoned while the efficiencies and virtues of industrial hemp remain largely an afterthought to them. If anything, I think the hemp advocates could do better by welcoming pothead support judging by their (potheads) greater political strength and successes of late.

For some strange reason, however, the pro-hemp-industrialists seem stuck in a political misperception that THEY are the ones getting dragged down by some imagined image problem with being associated with potheads. Ad hominems towards potheads are only a humorous flourish as they seem mostly immune to such things. I think Dave is right that a bunch of stoners just don't give a rats ass if you want to ridicule them on the grounds of being stoners. In fact they just might laugh along with everyone else on that point - a sort of Cheech and Chong effect of getting your wakey bakey. But yeah, it doesn't lead to anything productive in any case either. I think that basically covers everything. Thanks for playing

-Mo
« Last Edit: 2010-06-30 22:01:05 by MoEnzyme » Report to moderator   Logged

Mo Enzyme

the.bricoleur
Archon

Rate the.bricoleur

making sense of change

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #8 on: 2010-07-01 13:08:55 »

What does a "pothead" look like?

I have used pot on an almost daily basis for more than half my life (35 now), do I simply look in the mirror to find this "pothead" you mention? Or am I being annoying?

the.bricoleur

« Last Edit: 2010-07-01 13:09:47 by the.bricoleur » Report to moderator   Logged
MoEnzyme
Acolyte

Rate MoEnzyme

infidel lab animal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: 2010-07-02 06:16:55 »

Quote from: the.bricoleur on 2010-07-01 13:08:55   

I have used pot on an almost daily basis for more than half my life (35 now), do I simply look in the mirror to find this "pothead" you mention? Or am I being annoying?

the.bricoleur

Ah, I see the interest now. Almost daily? Yeah, just look in the mirror, not that it will tell you much. In my experience potheads look like other kinds of heads. Maybe a bit more relaxed, but otherwise hard to tell the difference. -Mo

Mo Enzyme

the.bricoleur
Archon

Rate the.bricoleur

making sense of change

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #10 on: 2010-07-02 13:41:31 »

Quote from: MoEnzyme on 2010-07-02 06:16:55   

Quote from: the.bricoleur on 2010-07-01 13:08:55   

the.bricoleur

Ah, I see the interest now. Almost daily? Yeah, just look in the mirror, not that it will tell you much. In my experience potheads look like other kinds of heads. Maybe a bit more relaxed,

Relaxed! WTF?!! Are you not aware of the 'causes paranoia' stereotype!

;)

Quote:
but otherwise hard to tell the difference. -Mo

Tell that to Dave.

the.bricoleur
MoEnzyme
Acolyte

Rate MoEnzyme

infidel lab animal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: 2010-07-02 15:56:58 »

the.bricoleur,
Paranoia is indirectly a side effect of all illegal drugs and activities. ;)  Seriously though, your willingness to share that here indicates paranoia isn't a big problem, or rather a limited one with you. I used to never admit to that publicly at all, not even online. I'm not quite the daily consumer you are, but I do LOVE partaking often enough and even sharing with others, and while I don't flaunt it inappropriately IRL, I don't feel so paranoid about that anymore, especially online. Actually I think if it ever becomes completely legalized I'd probably drink less and smoke MJ more, maybe even buy a vaporizor :)
-Mo
« Last Edit: 2010-07-02 21:43:24 by MoEnzyme » Report to moderator   Logged

Mo Enzyme

Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to: