logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-04-19 20:22:09 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Everyone into the pool! Now online... the VirusWiki.

Church of Virus BBS
  General
  Virian Book Club

Shakespeare
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: Shakespeare  (Read 1217 times)
Mermaid
Archon

Rate Mermaid

Bite me!

View Profile
Shakespeare
« on: 2005-07-04 07:27:18 »

UK schools are trying to organise a Shakespeare initiative.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/4641271.stm

Thousands of British school children are taking part in a potentially record-breaking performance of Shakespeare.

A total of 10,000 pupils from 400 schools will be performing Shakespeare in professional theatres on Sunday.
[..]
Pupils will perform their own interpretations of shortened versions of some of Shakespeare's plays, directed and produced by their teachers.

There is a Bollywood-inspired Romeo and Juliet, a Winter's Tale exploring "chav" culture, and The Taming of the Shrew set in a women's prison.

Which Shakespeare play would COV choose to interpret?

wiki entry on Shakespeare here > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shakespeare

Report to moderator   Logged
MoEnzyme
Acolyte

Rate MoEnzyme

infidel lab animal

View Profile WWW
Re:Shakespeare
« Reply #1 on: 2005-07-07 00:54:36 »

Quote from: Mermaid on 2005-07-04 07:27:18   

UK schools are trying to organise a Shakespeare initiative.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/4641271.stm

Thousands of British school children are taking part in a potentially record-breaking performance of Shakespeare.

A total of 10,000 pupils from 400 schools will be performing Shakespeare in professional theatres on Sunday.
[..]
Pupils will perform their own interpretations of shortened versions of some of Shakespeare's plays, directed and produced by their teachers.

There is a Bollywood-inspired Romeo and Juliet, a Winter's Tale exploring "chav" culture, and The Taming of the Shrew set in a women's prison.

Which Shakespeare play would COV choose to interpret?

wiki entry on Shakespeare here > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shakespeare

:::Jake cracks his whip tantalizingly close to Mermaid's ass :::

How about the Taming of the Shrew.

I will fight your gods for food,
Mo Enzyme

(consolidation of handles: Jake Sapiens; memelab; logicnazi; Loki; Every1Hz; and Shadow)
Mermaid
Archon

Rate Mermaid

Bite me!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2005-08-22 05:42:36 »

ok. taming of the shrew it is.

have you read it?
MoEnzyme
Acolyte

Rate MoEnzyme

infidel lab animal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 2005-08-22 14:04:57 »

read it, seen it, numerous times.  My mom and dad are Shakespeare buffs so I have an unfair advantantage on all things Shakespeare.  At the time I was passing through the local primary and secondary education, Shakespeare was a favorite core literature curricullum so I would get multiple source exposure.  I have taught in the school system since and it isn't as prominent now, but still an influential presence.  Of course it has been a while, so I suppose a little rereading and reviewing might be in order, but if we are to make this *FUN* it might be good to get some curious folks open to a fresher perspective before committing.

An interesting point on the Taming of the Shrew is that its a great jumping off point to talk about tensions in male/female relationships whether or not you like the antiquated ideals of Shakespeare on the subject.  So if we can get anyone else interested on that point, we might have the makings of a real party!

Mo Enzyme

(consolidation of handles: Jake Sapiens; memelab; logicnazi; Loki; Every1Hz; and Shadow)
MoEnzyme
Acolyte

Rate MoEnzyme

infidel lab animal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: 2005-08-22 14:23:11 »

From #virus logs August 22nd, 2005 about 1:30ish CST

<Shadow> It seems that Mermaid and I have agreed to read/discuss/review some Shakespeare selection.  The topic is still tentative, but the "Taming of the Shrew" is a tentative suggestion.  As I am an old-hand at all things Shakespeare, I'm sure any suggestions from a fresher p

<Shadow> person on the subject will get precedence with me

<Shadow> http://www.churchofvirus.org/bbs/index.php?board=57;action=display;threadid=32939

<Shadow> The fun thing about the taming of the shrew is it gives a great excuse/jumping-off-point to talk about sexual/power tensions between the sexes, and to be honest I never really have had the opportunity to consider the play that carefully since my acceptance of evolutionary psychology, so I expect some interesting fresh criticism myself if we choose that one.

Mo Enzyme

MoEnzyme
Acolyte

Rate MoEnzyme

infidel lab animal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 2005-08-22 16:29:18 »

Lucifer's early "endorsement" on #virus a few moments ago . . .

<Lucifer> sounds dangerous

<Shadow> . . . but of course. . . 

Mo Enzyme

Mermaid
Archon

Rate Mermaid

Bite me!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2005-08-27 11:57:46 »

we should start with reading the original first. if you dont have the print version, the work is online, i am sure.

we'll discuss it every week and after a full reading/discussion, maybe we can play with same plot, but in different settings/time line/eras etc.

so far, so good..yea? suggestions? comments?
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to: