logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-03-28 18:14:40 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Open for business: The CoV Store!

Church of Virus BBS
  General
  Philosophy & Religion

The Idea of Good and Evil
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: The Idea of Good and Evil  (Read 2622 times)
Gods Apprentice
Neophyte

To live is to change, to die is stay the same

View Profile E-Mail
Re:The Idea of Good and Evil
« Reply #15 on: 2004-07-12 17:29:50 »

[[ author reputation (0.00) beneath threshold (3)... display message ]]

Report to moderator   Logged

David Lucifer
Archon

Rate David Lucifer

Enlighten me.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #16 on: 2004-07-12 21:14:20 »

You may be interested in Howard Bloom's Big Bang Tango.

Gods Apprentice
Neophyte

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #17 on: 2004-11-12 03:36:29 »

notquitemale
Neophyte

What I don't know hurts me less than what I do.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2004-11-25 14:57:28 »

Joe Blood
Acolyte

Rate Joe Blood

Punk Extrordinairre

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: 2004-12-09 08:46:14 »

Quote from: notquitemale on 2004-11-25 14:57:28   

If you want a definition of 'good' and 'evil' to satisfy everyone, the best course would be to abandon it, I would think.  It would make more sense in my mind, for one, to uphold rationality rather than 'right' and 'wrong'.

I agree with this.

God's apprentice, only in the biological sense does your reasoning seem sound.  But to form even the smallest of societies causes friction and takes away individuality, and doing this makes people unhappy.  You form bigger societies and you get bigger friction.  In your ideal world, there is no individuality left.  There would be no-one left who chose not to have children.  This good sounds pretty bad to me.

Does this action cause entrophy within the society - if yes, restrict it:

Person A - I choose to marry a member of my own sex.  Evidently this causes entrophy in the society, so you restrict it, yet I am still expected to contribute and work to fund the society that negates me.  In time, I will hate the society so much that I will wish it harm.  Therefore, it is in the societies best interests to execute or expel me right now. 

Person B - I choose to subscribe to a dogma or a moral code that is offended by same sex marriage.  If this marriage institution takes place in my society, I feel it cheapens the value of heterosexual family values, and I no longer want to be a part of it.  My leader places more value upon one person's choices and opinions than he does on mine, so I want to leave right now.  It is in the best interests of the society to execute or expel me, because I no longer contribute.

etcetera ad infinitum.
Ego and human rights unfortunately exist.  You can't figure out the species on paper.
deusdiabolus
Initiate

Rate deusdiabolus

NEVER underestimate monkey!
641785 641785    deusdiabolus deusdiabolus
View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: 2005-02-08 04:49:15 »

Quote from: Gods Apprentice on 2004-02-29 04:42:08   

My Definitions:

Good:  Any force that allows a social instituion to come together or maintain the society.

Evil (aka Entropy):  Any force that causes a social institution to decay, or prevents its creation.

The only problem with these definitions is that not all social institutions are necessarily good ones (i.e. racial supremacy groups, sexual orientation discrimination groups), so therefore, forces that cause certain social institutions to decay are not always evil.

Let me take a crack at this:

GOOD:  That which encourages improvement and positive growth.

EVIL:  That which discourages improvement and/or promotes redundancy and stagnation.

my WR0N9 is LEGEND
Gods Apprentice
Neophyte

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #21 on: 2005-02-09 01:53:15 »

theonlygolux
Acolyte

Rate theonlygolux

theonlygolux
View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: 2005-02-11 06:32:57 »

Quote from: Gods Apprentice on 2004-02-29 04:42:08   

The main question is:

What is the definition of Good?

What is the definition of Evil?

Oddly enough these definition are not found in the The Virian Lexicon, and if the goals of this organization are to be achieved, they need to be. Becasue they are primaly the hearts of all religons.

My Definitions:

Good:  Any force that allows a social instituion to come together or maintain the society.

Evil (aka Entrophy):  Any force that causes a social institution to decay, or prevents its creation.

I am not convinced that this debate rests upon sound principles.  Gods Apprentice has stated that definitions of Good and Evil are central to all religions.  This may be the case, but Church of Virus should not be constructed on the basis of what has been used to construct previous religions, because our aim is not the same.  Church of Virus should seek to open minds, not close them, as most religions do, and if we put out definitions of good and Evil down immutably then we lose the ability to do that.

Good and Evil are very personal concepts, and while there are many people who share similar ideas, that is only because society's norms impress these upon us at a very young age.

The ten commandments are good examples of these immutable laws of what is wrong and since their conception we have seen society's norms change.  It is no longer considered that wrong to have sexual relations out of wedlock, or to covet thy neighbours ass.  In fact Capitalism encourages covetousness, as a driving force to Consumerism.

If we set down what we believe to be Good and Evil then we again run the risk of becoming outdated.  Even if we fully intend to change them as and when, it cannot happen as fluidly as it would have to to fully realise our goals.

Good and Evil are semantic concepts with no bearing on real life.  We use then to classify ideas and actions according to society's norms.

Quote from: Gunit on 2004-03-22 20:26:20   

A bacteria's 'instincts' are to reproduce and survive. For it that is good, death is evil. Most animals have decided that being killed is a bad thing, so it is evil. This trend is clearly present in many of our society's morals.

So killing bacteria is Evil?  If I were a bacteria, I should say yes.  I'm not a vegetarian, does that make me evil?  I'm sure that cows have decided that being killed is a bad thing, so is it evil?  I like a good steak, but perhaps all my steaks have been evil?

I know I am not being particularly constructive here - but Good and Evil are not as concrete terms as they are in fiction, or in role-play.  I might think that Bush and what he is doing is evil, but another person might consider him and his actions good.  I can still get along with that person.

History is written by the winners, and I think that Good and Evil are defined by similar people.  Morally right and Morally wrong are perhaps more useful terms, but only because people tend to associate them less with absolutes, and think of them as more subjective.

&quota scholar and a gentleman"
Gods Apprentice
Neophyte

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #23 on: 2005-02-11 23:53:44 »

Pages: 1 [2] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print