logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-04-24 02:56:39 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Everyone into the pool! Now online... the VirusWiki.

Church of Virus BBS
  General
  Free For All

Mo Enzyme's log
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: Mo Enzyme's log  (Read 7782 times)
MoEnzyme
Acolyte

Rate MoEnzyme

infidel lab animal

View Profile WWW
Mo Enzyme's log
« on: 2010-11-15 20:20:38 »

This is a log to share a couple of goals regarding excercise, health, etc. For various reasons I've decided to get myself moving more. I do pace a bit when I think so it seems natural to take that to the next level and start a regimen of distance walking/hiking. Today I really pushed myself and walked about 2 1/2 miles. Afterwards I went over my path and figured that out with the odometer. I also measured out a few circuits around my neighborhood for future reference. So I have now figured a short 1/4 mile circuit around my block, and a longer 1 1/4 mile circuit within my neighborhood, both of them ending back at my place so I can easily plan for however much time and energy I have at the moment.

My initial goal is to fit in 10 miles within a 24 hour period. I think that's a modest and reasonable goal. In fact I think if my life really depended on it, I could probably do that right now. But I know how much of a wuss I am, and since my life doesn't really depend on it at the moment I'm probably not really going to do that. Plus I'd probably just crap out for the next day and I want to make it more of a habit rather than just a one time thing. So my real goal here is to get into good enough shape to easily walk 30 miles in three days and still be otherwise productive. That will take some time scheduling and dedication as well, but I think its something I can do.

I'm going to use this thread on the BBS to record my progress, and probably to rant about other stuff that pops into my head while I'm out walking. As part of this project I'm going to also commit to writing at least one post here every day even if its just to say what a lazy ass I've been on some particular day.

Stay tuned,

-Love, Mo

PS. this isn't just my thread of course, if anyone else feels inspired to share, compete, insult, praise or comment here on what I'm doing please feel free. This is the "Free for All" section of the BBS after all.
« Last Edit: 2010-11-15 20:31:56 by MoEnzyme » Report to moderator   Logged

I will fight your gods for food,
Mo Enzyme

(consolidation of handles: Jake Sapiens; memelab; logicnazi; Loki; Every1Hz; and Shadow)
MoEnzyme
Acolyte

Rate MoEnzyme

infidel lab animal

View Profile WWW
Re:Mo Enzyme's log
« Reply #1 on: 2010-11-16 02:24:04 »

One of my friends noted that walking 10 miles takes a while. I mentioned something like a couple of hours, but then I decided to look it up on Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walking#Walking_speed
Quote:
Average adult walking speed on level surfaces is approximately 80 m/min (4.8 km/h, 12.5 min/km), or about 3 miles per hour. For men, it is about 82 m/min, and for women, about 79 m/min.[21]"

I have a particularly longer stride and I want to walk fast, so I was thinking I could probably exceed 3 mph. The upper limit here seems to be jogging.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jogging
Quote:
The definition of jogging as compared with running is not standard. Dr. George Sheehan, a running expert, is quoted to have said "the difference between a jogger and a runner is an entry blank".[1] Others are usually more specific, defining jogging as running slower than 6 mph (10 minute per mile pace, 9.7 km/h, 6.2 min/km).[2]

I'm not really wanting to jog, but if I can walk fast pressing closer to 4mph I think I can get 10 miles in under 3 hours. If I break that into two 1 1/2 hour sessions, or three 1 hour sessions I think I can fit that into and around a normal working day with other activities. I may try for some more serious mileage on a weekend now and then for training purposes, but I think if I keep 30 miles in three days as the major goal that will keep me focussed on pacing myself instead of just trying to burn through and wearing out too quickly. Once I accomplish that, I may consider other goals . . . perhaps more distance, greater speed, adding weights or some combination thereof.

-Mo
« Last Edit: 2010-11-16 02:55:29 by MoEnzyme » Report to moderator   Logged

Mo Enzyme

(consolidation of handles: Jake Sapiens; memelab; logicnazi; Loki; Every1Hz; and Shadow)
Blunderov
Archon

Rate Blunderov

"We think in generalities, we live in details"

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #2 on: 2010-11-16 08:23:17 »

[Blunderov] Good luck with your project. (I should really take a leaf out of your book I suppose.) I heard that the English actor and TV personality Steven Fry lost a prodigious amount of weight by walking and listening to e-books on his iPhone. He would simply walk briskly until he got to the end of the book. Et voila.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racewalking

<snip> Racewalking, or race walking, is a long-distance athletic event. Although it is a foot race, it is different from running in that one foot must appear to be in contact with the ground at all times. Stride length is reduced, so to achieve competitive speeds, racewalkers must attain cadence rates comparable to those achieved by Olympic 400-meter runners—and they must do so for hours at a time since the Olympic events are the 20 kilometer race walk and 50-kilometer (31 mi) race walk. </snip>

Best regards.

Report to moderator   Logged
MoEnzyme
Acolyte

Rate MoEnzyme

infidel lab animal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 2010-11-16 18:50:31 »

Quote from: Blunderov on 2010-11-16 08:23:17   

[Blunderov] Good luck with your project. (I should really take a leaf out of your book I suppose.) I heard that the English actor and TV personality Steven Fry lost a prodigious amount of weight by walking and listening to e-books on his iPhone. He would simply walk briskly until he got to the end of the book. Et voila.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racewalking

<snip> Racewalking, or race walking, is a long-distance athletic event. Although it is a foot race, it is different from running in that one foot must appear to be in contact with the ground at all times. Stride length is reduced, so to achieve competitive speeds, racewalkers must attain cadence rates comparable to those achieved by Olympic 400-meter runners—and they must do so for hours at a time since the Olympic events are the 20 kilometer race walk and 50-kilometer (31 mi) race walk. </snip>

Best regards.

Thanks Blunderov. I just got back from my walk this evening. I did 2 miles today. one big circuit (1.25 mi) and three little circuits (.25). It took me about 35 minutes, so I'm slightly faster than 3 mph which is considered average for humans. I'm hoping to push that closer to 4 mph.  So if I can simply shave off 5 minutes on my two miles (in 30 minutes) I'll be there. I feel like I probably could have done a bit more or gone faster, but I did get my heart rate up and sweat a bit so for day one I figure that's okay. Mostly I'm just wanting to get a habit started, and then I may start pushing myself more. I think the next thing I want to do is have a morning and an evening walk; I'll see how I'm feeling tomorrow morning.

Mo Enzyme

MoEnzyme
Acolyte

Rate MoEnzyme

infidel lab animal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: 2010-11-17 10:30:33 »

This morning I got out and walked a bit faster for a shorter distance. 1.25  (one long circuit) in 20 minutes. That comes out to 3.750 MPH. Calculating yesterday's speed I came up with 3.429 MPH. This morning I felt like I could have gone a little bit faster but not a whole lot. I didn't sweat as much as I did yesterday evening, but I did feel more of a burn in my calves in a shorter distance. I think 4 MPH would be a pretty impressive walking speed for me at this point. That would be a mile every fifteen minutes. According to wikipedia, world class race walking men average a mile in a 7 minutes (almost 8 MPH) so it would seem that 4 MPH ought to be a worthwhile goal for me.

So I think here is how I would stack up all my initial goals.

1st: 10 miles in 1 day
2nd: 2 miles in 30 min (4 MPH)
3rd: 30 miles in three days

Mo Enzyme

MoEnzyme
Acolyte

Rate MoEnzyme

infidel lab animal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 2010-11-17 11:27:16 »

I went ahead and did 3 small circuits (.75 miles) after I wrote that last entry above to make it an even 2 miles this morning. I didn't keep track of my time on that, and I'm guessing it was at about 3.4 mph like yesterday evening's walk. I'm going to try to be productive on other fronts today, plus the sun is getting pretty high in the sky right now. I sunburn rather easily so I'll wait until the shadows are longer again this afternoon and evening before putting in more distance on this.

Mo Enzyme

MoEnzyme
Acolyte

Rate MoEnzyme

infidel lab animal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: 2010-11-17 20:02:21 »

I did 3 more miles this afternoon, and just got back doing another 1.25 this evening. I didn't pay attention to the time for the 3 miles but I got 1.25 miles done in 21 minutes, so that was closer to my 3.75 mph. It didn't seem that fast, or rather seemed to burn less than this morning, so perhaps getting to 4mph might not be too difficult. So with my 2 miles this AM that's 6.25 miles total for today and 10.75 logged since monday.

I think I should be able to make my 10 miles in one day this weekend, and since next week shouldn't be so busy because of Thanksgiving I'm hoping to repeat that at least a couple more times before the next Monday.
« Last Edit: 2010-11-17 20:12:35 by MoEnzyme » Report to moderator   Logged

Mo Enzyme

Fritz
Archon

Rate Fritz

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #7 on: 2010-11-18 14:19:44 »

"Lonely, Bored, Unloved and Past Your Prime" -Doc Martin-; might be one take on your new endeavor, but I think it is great and am now challenged to get back at my walking regime.

Cheers

Fritz

The secret Canadian exercise weapon: Walking

Source: The National Post
Author: Jill Barker
Date: 2009.03.10

Longer days, sunshine that warms your face and sidewalks clear of snow and ice all mean one thing: The walking season has arrived. So shed your winter coat and boots and head outside for a little fresh air and exercise.

Why walk? It’s affordable, accessible and simple to master. There’s no learning curve, no need to wear Lycra and no better way to improve your health and well-being. Going for a daily walk burns unwanted calories, improves heart health, builds stronger bones and reduces the risk of some forms of cancer. It can be done solo, with a buddy or with a pair of earbuds pumping in some solid tunes.

Think of it as exercise’s Canadian option; understated, underrated and totally forgiving.

If there’s a downside to walking, I haven’t found it. Keep in mind, however, that if you want to use walking as your exercise of choice, learn to treat it with respect. No more lollygagging from point A to B. Fitness walkers know how to step it up.

How do you take walking seriously? First, rethink your footwear. You don’t need the extra cushioning found in a high-end running shoe, but you do need a properly fitted shoe with good support, ventilation and a flexible toe box that allows your foot to pick up the pace in comfort.

But here’s the thing, you need to wear those shoes anywhere and everywhere you plan to walk — whether it’s during your daily commute or walking to the corner store to pick up a litre of milk.

If you’re going to spend more time on the go, you need to make sure your feet are properly looked after. So ditch the heels and heavy footwear and invest in shoes made for function, not fashion.

Next, you have to adjust your daily schedule to include more walking time. Most research studies suggest that from three to five hours of walking a week is the optimum for improving health.

But if weight loss is your goal, you’re going to have to log even more kilometres per week. It takes walks of about 60 minutes a day most days of the week to lose inches.

Before you panic about the time commitment you need to make, research also indicates that walking minutes can be accumulated through a series of short bouts of exercise, not just one long workout. This means you don’t have to cram all your mileage into one or two long walks. That little tidbit of information is what makes walking such a great option for anyone who struggles to find the time to exercise.

Because it’s so easy to accumulate walking minutes (you don’t need any special gear, equipment, instruction or preparation), you can reach your weekly mileage goals by simply keeping your walking shoes on your feet and taking every opportunity to give them a workout.

Carve out time to walk to and from work, go for a walk at lunch and plan on taking an extra long walk one day out of every weekend.

The other important tidbit to keep in mind is to pick up your walking pace to a speed that qualifies as exercise.

That doesn’t mean you have to race walk through city streets. A good brisk walk, like the speed you use when you’re late for an appointment, is what you’re aiming for. Once you make that brisk pace your preferred pace, you’re exercising every time you go out for a walk — which is the idea.

Another way to make your walk more of a workout is to add short pickups to your daily walks.

Turn up your speed a notch higher than your “late for an appointment” pace for 30 seconds several times during your walk. Cue your feet to pick up the pace by swinging your arms a bit faster.

Plant your heel and roll through your foot pushing off the ball of your foot as you accelerate. Keep the upper body tall and stay light on your feet as you push to maintain an accelerated pace.

Repeat these short speed intervals several times during your walk. The added intensity will increase the calories burned and the workload on your heart and lungs enough to accrue even more fitness benefits than during a more moderately paced effort.

Before you head out the door all set to add miles and intensity to your walking routine, be prepared for some initial discomfort; sore shins and muscle aches are common among newly dedicated walkers.

Quality footwear helps ease the transition from couch potato to avid walker. So does maintaining good technique and adding miles gradually over those first few weeks.

Keep up the pace and, by the time summer rolls around, you’ll have become an accomplished walker who carries a few less pounds on a body that is healthier than it was just months before.

jbarker@videotron.ca

Where there is the necessary technical skill to move mountains, there is no need for the faith that moves mountains -anon-
MoEnzyme
Acolyte

Rate MoEnzyme

infidel lab animal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: 2010-11-18 23:54:34 »

I got busy with some other projects today so I took a break from walking. I'm going to log some miles tomorrow.

Mo Enzyme

David Lucifer
Archon

Rate David Lucifer

Enlighten me.

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #9 on: 2010-11-19 10:57:02 »

I highly recommend http://runkeeper.com/ if you have a smartphone.
MoEnzyme
Acolyte

Rate MoEnzyme

infidel lab animal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: 2010-11-19 11:30:11 »

Quote from: David Lucifer on 2010-11-19 10:57:02   

I highly recommend http://runkeeper.com/ if you have a smartphone.

Thanks Lucifer,

My cell phone is rather low quality by current standards. My contract is up in June - so I may look into something like that when I get my new phone at that time. Perhaps it shall be smarter than this one.

I did get out and I walked about a mile this morning. I'm going to get at least another stroll before the day is out, and I'll log it here. Its beautifully sunny and clear weather here right now, so I won't want to miss it. 50-60F or so it feels.

Mo Enzyme

MoEnzyme
Acolyte

Rate MoEnzyme

infidel lab animal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: 2010-11-19 22:54:56 »

I walked 1.25 miles this evening. It was my birthday, so I was socializing a bit today. I'm hoping to step up my mileage tomorrow. One my presents was a pedometer, so I'll give that a try on my next walk.

Mo Enzyme

MoEnzyme
Acolyte

Rate MoEnzyme

infidel lab animal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: 2010-11-24 21:20:30 »

Okay so I crapped out there for a few days. Yesterday I got back to waking a few miles, and today I made my first goal - 10 miles in one day. I did five miles this morning and then 5 miles this evening. This evening I did it in an hour and 20 minutes which puts my speed at 3.75 mph. That seems to be a pretty normal brisk clip for me; I've clocked myself quite a number of times at that speed now. I did four long (1.25 mile) circuits both times. By the end of the fourth one, I could feel my feet beginning to hurt slightly and a little bit of an endorphine surge. I'm hoping I can keep this up for two more days now, and that will put me at my 30 mile goal.

Mo Enzyme

MoEnzyme
Acolyte

Rate MoEnzyme

infidel lab animal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: 2010-11-25 19:55:40 »

Today I walked 12.5 miles. 5 this morning and 7.5 this evening. 22.5 in two days. I'm hoping I can knock out 7.5 tomorrow morning to make my 30 mile goal and leave myself some time to clean up and do some chores around the house the rest of the day.

Mo Enzyme

MoEnzyme
Acolyte

Rate MoEnzyme

infidel lab animal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: 2010-11-26 20:10:19 »

Quote from: MoEnzyme on 2010-11-25 19:55:40   

Today I walked 12.5 miles. 5 this morning and 7.5 this evening. 22.5 in two days. I'm hoping I can knock out 7.5 tomorrow morning to make my 30 mile goal and leave myself some time to clean up and do some chores around the house the rest of the day.

I actually ended up walking this evening and finished off my 3-day/30-mile goal with 7 1/2 miles (six big circuits). I've ended up with some minor blisters on my feet, so I'm going to take the next couple of days off, and spend some more time on other housekeeping chores. I'm thinking perhaps I will start on monday with a daily 5 miles (4 big circuits) and concentrate a little more on speed. Perhaps a bit of a higher heart rate over a shorter period of time and distance will be a little bit easier on my feet with similar health benefits. I'm contemplating perhaps a combination of running and walking.

Mo Enzyme

Pages: [1] 2 Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to: