logo Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
2024-03-28 08:51:15 CoV Wiki
Learn more about the Church of Virus
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Open for business: The CoV Store!

Church of Virus BBS
  General
  FAQ

FAQ BBS Etiquette Collection
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: FAQ BBS Etiquette Collection  (Read 51882 times)
MoEnzyme
Heretic

Rate MoEnzyme

infidel lab animal

View Profile WWW
FAQ BBS Etiquette Collection
« on: 2011-03-13 04:10:52 »

[[ author reputation (1.66) beneath threshold (3)... display message ]]

« Last Edit: 2011-03-13 08:29:42 by MoEnzyme » Report to moderator   Logged

I will fight your gods for food,
Mo Enzyme

(consolidation of handles: Jake Sapiens; memelab; logicnazi; Loki; Every1Hz; and Shadow)
MoEnzyme
Heretic

Rate MoEnzyme

infidel lab animal

View Profile WWW
The use of chat logs on the BBS
« Reply #1 on: 2011-03-13 05:49:37 »

« Last Edit: 2011-03-15 01:31:54 by MoEnzyme » Report to moderator   Logged

Mo Enzyme

(consolidation of handles: Jake Sapiens; memelab; logicnazi; Loki; Every1Hz; and Shadow)
Hermit
Archon

Rate Hermit

Prime example of a practically perfect person

View Profile WWW
Re:FAQ BBS Etiquette Collection
« Reply #2 on: 2011-03-13 18:25:14 »

On a point of order.

When a subject is raised on a particular thread, even when it is apparently off-topic, particularly when it pertains to an individual or individuals or the practices of particular individuals, then, baring a mutual agreement to move inappropriate material to some more appropriate place, it is always appropriate to respond to that topic there, and to leave the responses there, even if the person who initially raised that subject is dishonest enough to delete or edit their posts in order to make the responder seem to be making off-topic posts.*.

This should serve as a strong reason for people not to comment on others and to avoid introducing extraneous subjects in threads they wish to keep clean. According to prior practice, any thread, even significant FAQ threads, containing personal attacks by any party are eligible for moderation to the pit, leaving only a redirection pointer. While this is regrettable in the sense that anyone can force threads off the public areas of the BBS, it is a consequence of the BBS software not permitting unmarked deletion and forcing a moderator to move a complete thread rather than individual posts.

As the CoV previously preferred not to have moderators other than Lucifer, who also has a life to lead, any vestigial untidiness on the BBS is the responsibility of the posters.

A further criticism of comments made in this alleged FAQ, which are blatantly aimed at the practices of identifiable people other than the FAQ initiator, would be that when people discuss the same topic, people or practices in logged facilities of the CoV, then it is always appropriate to quote it, as it is blatantly disingenuous to allege that the responder is "quoting out of context" as it is quite apparent from the logs what the context is.**

Finally, this section is not appropriate for discussing or developing a practice or policy, which should occur on the wiki ( or elsewhere as agreed as per http://www.churchofvirus.org/wiki/PolicyProposals ) and only once the practice is accepted by means of a vote should a FAQ should be written describing the accepted practice. As such I recommend that Lucifer move this thread to a more appropriate location and as soon as this post is made, I will submit this thread for moderation.

*Yes, I'm looking at Mo Enzyme, the initiator of this alleged FAQ, who has repeatedly made this his practice.
**Yes, I'm still looking at Mo Enzyme, the initiator of this alleged FAQ.
Report to moderator   Logged

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion. - Steven Weinberg, 1999
MoEnzyme
Heretic

Rate MoEnzyme

infidel lab animal

View Profile WWW
Re:The use of chat logs on the BBS
« Reply #3 on: 2011-03-13 19:25:00 »

« Last Edit: 2011-03-15 15:23:16 by MoEnzyme » Report to moderator   Logged

Mo Enzyme

Mermaid
Archon

Rate Mermaid

Bite me!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2011-03-15 12:08:26 »

I am a simple person. So I will put it simply. If a house has it's doors and windows thrown wide open, can a passerby be asked to feel free to peek into the house through one window, but admonished when he looks into another. It's the same house after all.

One would assume that a progression of events occurring on a straight time line can be narrated even if it is witnessed through two different windows. If something has to be hidden, windows should be barred.

I guess the question boils down to...does cov needs barred windows? Does it look like a cathedral through one window and screams CRIBS through another? Why not pick one theme and stick to it? Why confuse passerbys and lure them into entering the building?

Report to moderator   Logged
MoEnzyme
Heretic

Rate MoEnzyme

infidel lab animal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 2011-04-05 23:31:08 »

« Last Edit: 2011-04-05 23:32:41 by MoEnzyme » Report to moderator   Logged

Mo Enzyme

Pages: [1] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to: