Re: virus: Objective basis for compassion

From: Jei (jei@cc.hut.fi)
Date: Sun May 02 2004 - 16:46:03 MDT

    On Sun, 2 May 2004, Erik Aronesty wrote:

    > Q1: Is compassion objective?

    > 5. Even if you are quite certain that members of group Y are violent,
    > aggressive and mean you harm, compassion is still an effective mode of
    > thinking for reducing the aggression and, potentially, mitigating harm to
    > oneself.

    I agree..

    And if both groups have infinite resources, that is
    also the only way to bring about peace and resolution
    to hostility and conflict situations. One side has to
    start the peace process by stopping all retaliations.

    One might also conjecture that groups disseminating
    false facts and covering up truths, (such as routine
    torture of iraqi prisoners), are in fact worsening
    the situation and creating a very dangerous situation
    where a one-sided perception of reality does not equate
    with the facts on the ground to the other side of the
    conflict.

    Short term, this may be beneficial, if your goal is
    indeed to continue the strife and fool somebody into
    supporting it, but if the real goal is actual peace,
    the falsification of facts leads to total misunderstanding
    and misreading of the situation, e.g.

            "They hate us for our freedom."

    One other great example:

            http://www.whatreallyhappened.com/osamatape.html