Re:virus: Re: to the students here [prometheus and metahuman]

From: athe nonrex (athenonrex@godisdead.com)
Date: Fri Dec 05 2003 - 14:00:49 MST

    [metahuman 3]
    Who knows? I could care less. I'm not bothered at all by flame wars. Are any of you that uptight that you are bothered by them? I'll take a Mermaidic stance on "shitstorms" as you dramatically put it: flaming is positive even if the content is negative. We need emotions. Hate, anger, and sarcasm help me think faster, deeper, and more creatively. Due to these benefits, I get into a lot of "dissing" sessions with people of various forums even if I don't consciously try. There are usually people like prometheus who just want to start shit and throw around some ad hominems like hooks trying to catch a few fish to strangle.

    [athenonrex 4]
    touche...indeed, i would be in a state of hypocracy were to to imply
    otherwise on the topic of emotion. emotion is that second half to the
    human consciousness that other would seem to ignore. however, posting
    out of "hate, anger" [not going to say sarcasm, too, because sarcasm
    is always great ;) ], can be a bit irrational. all that i am suggesting,
    though, is that- whereas this will always happen anyway, there will
    continue to be flamewars, etc...- for those that are willing and wish to
    debate with agreed upon rules and guidelines, etc, there will be a
    sense of structure to it, avoiding confusion and miscommunication...
    those are two of the main problems, i feel, with "flame" arguementation:
    confusion over what the other party is trying to say, and misinterpret-
    ing what the other person is indending to say.

    the emotion/intellect dichotomy is an interesting thing to explore, but
    also an entirely different discussion.

    so, for now, what i'm wondering is...(please, other people respond to
    this too, with thoughts, ideas, etc...)
    can we start something like that? like schedule some irc nights to draw
    up Virian Rules of debate? at least throw ideas around? maybe start
    a forum on the bbs where we can post previous irc chats for anyone that
    missed out, so they can post too...?

    ideas? (and yes, the truth comes out...i shamelessly used you and
    prometheus to bring this topic back up, meta...forgive my insolence...
    ;) )

    -athenonrex